The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well what can I say, I woke up this morning with one of those itches you just can't scratch... I wanted to go fishing, so after 10mins of thinking I'd better do some work today I thought bugger it, "lets go chuck some plastic"

Got down to the reef at 09:30, an hour before high to be greeted with bright sunshine and a very stiff westerly, the water quality was good and had a little chop on it, spirits were high but it was too sunny for me to have complate confidence.

I started off with the Maria Chase and couldn't get through the side wind with it, so off it came and on went the Gataride aka kin. It was slow going until about 10:15 when I had my first schoolie of maybe a pound.... It was then I started thinking about the old "bright lures for bright conditions thing" so I then opted for gataride pink... some time went by as I was experimenting with different retrieves, I'd just seen some chaps turn up who were on the float and prawn and they were watching me as intently as I was watching them, while this was going on my lure was still in the water about 20ft out sitting on the surface, I just started to bring it back for another cast when another schoolie smashed it, a 1lb on a good day....

I got myself back into a calm lull, casting, retrieving and enjoying the sun, I'd sped up the retrieve as I thought the fish would be deep, BANG, out of nowhere a scrap started, a shock as I don't seem to catch when reeling fast... anyway playing what felt like a decent fish for a few mins, it didn't want to come in nor did it want to scream off out to see, just kept kiting left and right... SLACK.... gutted the hook pulled o well that wasn't to be the biggest kick in the nuts of the day...

It proved my theory correct though, the fish were deep so on went the Zonk 120 (the sinking one), about half half an hour passed of not alot happening, I was slowly retrieving over the rough ground, occasionally bumping a rock but thankfully not snagging.... Whack, FISH ON... another good one, this one wanted to head out to see, drag going zip-zip, she was really fighting well, making me pick up slack, then changing direction zip-zip again... I finally managed to get her close, by this time the waves had really started crashing on the beach and after a failed attempt to beach her (a good 5lb fish) I gave up and attempted to use the waves to get her up on a near by concrete groyne... I miss timed it, the full weight of her crashed towards the floor after missing the top of the wave and off she went, zonk nearly hit me as it flew from her mouth... what made it worse is that I had an audience of 4 float n prawn men and a couple of passers by... I hate to admit it but I swore very loudly in front of them... to their amusement I might add too... one of the guys was noted as saying at least you'll be able to tell stories of the one that got away! grrrrr

I carried on with the zonk and hit another schoolie... then being a numpty forgot to check the braid and it had wrapped around the second from top eye, next cast bye bye zonk... it landed about 20 yards from me so if anyone is down on the beaches directly east of the brighton marina at low this evening and they want to have a look for me, I was fishing on beach six... it's a sinking lure so it should be there somewhere... If you do find it, please try and return it to me, I lost so many lures in the last month (£150's worth) or so I'm running out of fishing money.. It's the pearl rainbow version...

On went the Yellow patchinko... two more schoolies off the top... I really love taking fish off the top... excellent...

Most the bass caught had 4" sand eels in their throat....

As the title suggests the float and prawn boys didn't do so well, every fish I hooked saw their faces sink further and further...

I'll post pix when I'm not on my phone...

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Glad to see your still getting some Robert.
Shame about losing the better fish, always safer to beach them, even if that means taking your time (yeap I have lost fish in the past from trying to rush).
If you see the two chinese ladies prawning down there, have a word with them. As they have found lures for me in the past.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Nice report and shame about losing the a decent fish. Nothing worse than that slack line feeling and knowing it's all your own fault (sorry for rubbing it in). Nice warm feeling beeting the Prawn boys though!! :D

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
that was tough luck, but at least you know you were doing the right things to get them hooked in the 1st place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts