The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling all knowledgable tackleheads about i need some suggestions, heading back over to Skervoy
in august for a weeks fishing with two of the lads.The main objective of this years trip will be light tackle fishing with the supermix 240 well thats the plan anyway,the only thing is that i think my twin power 4000 fc is really gonna be out gunned up here,now i am realistic about things and realise that not every fish is gonna weigh 30/40 lbs as we saw last year in our maiden trip... with madness that Norway brings its gonna punish gear especially the lighter end of things even pulling in fish to 10 lb will be some term up here this summer . In the real world what size coalies will the twin power be able to handle because we all know the one that got away is the one you always tell the story about over and over wishing you had done something different.now buying a new reel is not out of the question but it would have to be something that i can take out on the shores of sunny Wexford when we return home..

cheers for all the suggestions Barry.......

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Hi Barry, I recon the Twin Power will handle it sound, but then again ask me when I get back from Norway in June!! I will be using a Stella 4000 or simular, so I will let you know. I will be taking a bigger reel too just incase. Some of the lads from here took 40 size Rhinos last year, they costabout £100 and apart from having to dry te drag washers at the end of ach day the Rhinos preformed very well.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
For my heavier setup I use a Daiwa Saltiga Game 3000. A real brute of a reel power wise. A bit heavier than equivalent reels but it is built as a light tackle reel for tuna, yellowtail etc. I am sure it would cope with a few coalies though the bigger ones would likely warm the drag a bit. A good reel for bass plugging when heavier gear is needed.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think it will do a fair enough job but on the back of your mind if it goes bang on day two somebody would be very sick i cant see too many decent spinng reels down the local supplies store and as for the price if you did have to invest, but if you are gonna be putting a stella to the test there should be lessons to be learned,and if that performs the twin power should be uo to it... wil have a look at those rhino reels and for that money you cant go to far wrong,,what typ of plastics are you Jersey boys bringing with you looking to start getting a few over the next few months ...

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For my heavier setup I use a Daiwa Saltiga Game 3000. A real brute of a reel power wise. A bit heavier than equivalent reels but it is built as a light tackle reel for tuna, yellowtail etc. I am sure it would cope with a few coalies though the bigger ones would likely warm the drag a bit. A good reel for bass plugging when heavier gear is needed.
thanks Mike will also check out the saltiga game as you say yellow fin tuna,, not to be sneezed at either could also be a reel for the boat back home...

·
6,295 Posts
Jeez Barry what soft plastics are we not taking would be a better question!! We have alsorts mate, what I will do shortly (we have a meeting on wednesday) is take a few pics and write a bit about what we are taking, it will be handy to see what we take and actually use. Its handy as some of the boys went last year to the same place so they already have alot of the hard work for us done out the way. I personally hope to be able to use say 40-80g jigheads (its not deep water where we are going and the Coalies are almost on the surface sometimes) with softies from 5in upwards. Like I say I will do a picture gallery on the stuff soon so we can work out what we really need and dont need.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeez Barry what soft plastics are we not taking would be a better question!! We have alsorts mate, what I will do shortly (we have a meeting on wednesday) is take a few pics and write a bit about what we are taking, it will be handy to see what we take and actually use. Its handy as some of the boys went last year to the same place so they already have alot of the hard work for us done out the way. I personally hope to be able to use say 40-80g jigheads (its not deep water where we are going and the Coalies are almost on the surface sometimes) with softies from 5in upwards. Like I say I will do a picture gallery on the stuff soon so we can work out what we really need and dont need.
Fair play **** . will probably be bringing way to much stuff again this year but would be good to see what some of the lads brought last year that actually worked as they say knowledge is power....really want to get the best weeks fishing we can this year its a big place up ther in a small boat!!!!

·
6,295 Posts
Fair play **** . will probably be bringing way to much stuff again this year but would be good to see what some of the lads brought last year that actually worked as they say knowledge is power....really want to get the best weeks fishing we can this year its a big place up ther in a small boat!!!!
I am praying the weather holds out, fingers crossed eh. I will let you know what the guys say and suggest.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am praying the weather holds out, fingers crossed eh. I will let you know what the guys say and suggest.
we didnt exactly get great weather last year in eary aprill lots of wind, snow blizzards, big seas and very little visability but it all added to the weeks fishing,all you need is a little faith in your arvor and by fcuk they can take some seriour weather.. plus you always have some shelter to fish around the island of skervoy... thanks again

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
May be worth looking at the Twin Power SW and Stella SW - as well as Mike's suggestion ... comparing the 4000 non SW and 4000 SW sizes there are a few differences - notably gear size, beefiness and drag power ... its a big trip investing £300 or £400 for a reel that will handle it may be a sound investment :)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Hello Gents,

As Barry said we dont want to be out gunned up there this year on the reel front.
Im in the same boat as Barry (excuse the pun :) ) il have the Twin power with my SM270.But there is one small thing bugging me about this set up on the boat is; last year we discovered an underwater rock pinnacle which was full of good quality pollock which were nailling our SP's and I hooked several fish over the course of the season over that rock which 'flattenedd the rod' and 'smoked' the reel on full drag mid fight as the fish changed direction and makes off at 45 degree angle and gathers momentum... I couldnt stop it... straightend a few 30lb swivel in the process. Barry put up a thread about this problem before on another forum.

Anyway , I was flicking through Cabelas catalogue there and the Penn Torque TQS5-B caught my eye.
Any of you guys had any experience with them ?

Danny.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
serious machine lad thinking of up grading would go down a treat at pollock rock aswell....

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
May be worth looking at the Twin Power SW and Stella SW - as well as Mike's suggestion ... comparing the 4000 non SW and 4000 SW sizes there are a few differences - notably gear size, beefiness and drag power ... its a big trip investing £300 or £400 for a reel that will handle it may be a sound investment :)
too true Alex have been lucking around at a few different reels vs , daiwa and the stellas of course tough decision what to choose all have thier strenghts and i want something that can be used back home aswell plugging so i dont want to go over the 4000 size if at all possible..

·
6,295 Posts
Danny I think you are dead right, I am also going to be taking a SM240 and a 4000 reel for the Coalies that last year were touching 30lb. But this set up isnt going to be my standard set up for this kind of fishing, I will be taking some more substantial gear too. The lads last year were using rods like the Bulldog 76, which really is about a 180g jigging rod. They seemed perfect, so looking at that you could go for a jigging rod of any make around that rating, they are available from like £50 to £500. Reel wise they used reels such as the Rhino 50 and Shimano Navi 8000, bith reels just around the £100 mark and can be used at home for bait fishing or boat jigging. By the way I would love to have seen the rod stratening and reel peeling line that you speak about, please try and video that if you do it again, cheers bud.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Taking my SM270 and TP 4000SW on my tropics trip in April ... problem is with 60gm jigs you are just as likely to hit a large doggie of the back of the boat as a 200gm jig on the proper gear! that should test the supermix :D (if it doesn't come back with a permanent banana bend I have been doing something wrong)

edit - just read this on the Stella SW build and Saltiga views - definately a good read!

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/showthread.php?t=647666

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Danny I think you are dead right, I am also going to be taking a SM240 and a 4000 reel for the Coalies that last year were touching 30lb. But this set up isnt going to be my standard set up for this kind of fishing, I will be taking some more substantial gear too. The lads last year were using rods like the Bulldog 76, which really is about a 180g jigging rod. They seemed perfect, so looking at that you could go for a jigging rod of any make around that rating, they are available from like £50 to £500. Reel wise they used reels such as the Rhino 50 and Shimano Navi 8000, bith reels just around the £100 mark and can be used at home for bait fishing or boat jigging. By the way I would love to have seen the rod stratening and reel peeling line that you speak about, please try and video that if you do it again, cheers bud.

Good Stuff ****, it will be interesting to see how ye get on.Il take a look at those jigging rods later. Have you any experience with Fin Nor reels? Spotted them last night, seem to be getting good reviews for the price point.

Will you be trying a bit of plastic flicking from the shore when you are up there? We are going to give it a go from the Skjervoy breakwater this year for the craic.

If we had a video camera last year it would have been edited to death to make it suitable viewing with all the Bleeeeeps ! I let out of me. :D

We will have it sorted for this year ****, and im sure wel get a bit of footage to show you ;)

Alex Jordan said:
Taking my SM270 and TP 4000SW on my tropics trip in April ... problem is with 60gm jigs you are just as likely to hit a large doggie of the back of the boat as a 200gm jig on the proper gear! that should test the supermix (if it doesn't come back with a permanent banana bend I have been doing something wrong)

edit - just read this on the Stella SW build and Saltiga views - definately a good read!

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...d.php?t=647666
Good read that Alex.

Cant wait to see how you get on with the SM on your trip.

Danny.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
coalies to 30 lb wey hey what part of Norway are you guys headin to
and where did the Jersey boys go to last year for those big coalies

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Guys,
The fishing at the moment is unbelievable, check these out:

All shore caught on bait supplied by my son. There's a 49lb, 48lb and a 45lb. The 49 pounder is waiting to be ratified as a new European record. Hope you guys have the same luck.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Alex,
Look on my gallery / album they are on there.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts