The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are lots of mentions about various items of tackle which seem only available from America..Cabelas/Bass Pro etc. Or they are certainly a lot cheaper.
Can anybody tell me how import taxes are sorted out. And when and if they are paid.
Many thanks.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I have ordered from USA dozens of times over the years,But no longer.
Companies like Cabelas Tackle Direct and Bass Pro have changed their shipping policy in the last 12 months or so.
They have 'from what I can remember' a policy of charging $40 for shipping.
That is ok if you are ordering loads of stuff but if you arn't then its just not worth it etc.
I have had a BIG falling out with Tackle Direct over them taking my money and then refusing to send an item that cost $6 unless I give them $40 for the postage.:-x
At the time of ordering they forgot to add any postage (their fault),but wont refund the $6 for the line.
Bunch of Wa****s,and very stroppy attitude in emails.
I dont bother ordering from Japan anymore because of the "Ransom" you have to pay to get your goods.
I now buy all my gear from Jersey and one or two mainland shops.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Bass Pro shops and Cabelas are now only worth dealing with as long as you place orders in excess of £100, as otherwise the total ends up being very, very expensive.

They have now, as Nick already pointed out, an International shipping policy that incurs a 45% charge of the total order value or minimum $40, whatever is greatest.

Both vendors use FedEx as their main forwarder, which means you are 100% certain to be hit with the UK VAT charge and a handling charge that just recently increased from £8 to £10.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have ordered from USA dozens of times over the years,But no longer.
Companies like Cabelas Tackle Direct and Bass Pro have changed their shipping policy in the last 12 months or so.
They have 'from what I can remember' a policy of charging $40 for shipping.
That is ok if you are ordering loads of stuff but if you arn't then its just not worth it etc.
I have had a BIG falling out with Tackle Direct over them taking my money and then refusing to send an item that cost $6 unless I give them $40 for the postage.:-x
At the time of ordering they forgot to add any postage (their fault),but wont refund the $6 for the line.
Bunch of Wa****s,and very stroppy attitude in emails.
I dont bother ordering from Japan anymore because of the "Ransom" you have to pay to get your goods.
I now buy all my gear from Jersey and one or two mainland shops.
:-D:-D
When you say Ransom, do you mean import taxes?
I don't want to miss out on some "cheap" lures, but buying from abroad makes me nervy.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bass Pro shops and Cabelas are now only worth dealing with as long as you place orders in excess of £100, as otherwise the total ends up being very, very expensive.

They have now, as Nick already pointed out, an International shipping policy that incurs a 45% charge of the total order value or minimum $40, whatever is greatest.

Both vendors use FedEx as their main forwarder, which means you are 100% certain to be hit with the UK VAT charge and a handling charge that just recently increased from £8 to £10.
Thus, you end up in effect paying virtually twice the screen price I presume ?

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
:-D:-D
When you say Ransom, do you mean import taxes?
I don't want to miss out on some "cheap" lures, but buying from abroad makes me nervy.
Chris if Parcelforce get their hands on your order you will get a letter through the door telling you (ordering you) that you owe them a handling charge for them to give you what you have paid for.
If you dont pay them this 'ransom' then they wont give you what is 'yours'.
Its about £13.50 I think.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
e.g

lure costs $20 = £12.90

buy 5 lures at $20 each = $100 = £64.50
+ Fedex Charge $45 = £93.55
+ VAT £16.37 = £109.92
+ Surcharge £10 = £119.92
£119.92 divided by 5 lures = £23.98 each

...so not so cost effective as you may think when ordering small quantities like 5 lures. Order 15 lures and they'd be around £18.00 each. etc etc

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
e.g

lure costs $20 = £12.90

buy 5 lures at $20 each = $100 = £64.50
+ Fedex Charge $45 = £93.55
+ VAT £16.37 = £109.92
+ Surcharge £10 = £119.92
£119.92 divided by 5 lures = £23.98 each

...so not so cost effective as you may think when ordering small quantities like 5 lures. Order 15 lures and they'd be around £18.00 each. etc etc
Many thanks Andy, I'll stick with the usual suppliers !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts