The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given that we are running competitions on lengths, I was wondering if anyone has found somewhere that sells tapes like those seen in Japan. I.e. bigger and easier to see in photo's.
Something like this:
http://www.chronoleurre.fr/toise-sakura-pi-1125.html

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
They look like a good idea. How much, Dave?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tim,
About 15 euro's.
But I think it could be worth having.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the offer Andy, got one on order already.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Ian,

Are these the tapes that B.A.S.S. sell ? if so we should all be buying from them, every 2 quid will be going towards a good cause !
Yep, that's them. Didnt i give you one? I bought a few last year. You can get them from John Morgan - he lives in Port Talbot - probably only 2 mins from where you work.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I've gat a Bass tape. They are great but I can never store it properly. It doesn't roll up or fold easily and it spends it's life stuffed in a mini-grip bag. It's not something easily put away when fishing under pressure. I must admit i'll probably be looking for something a bit more like Dave's choice.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bass tapes are useful, although I would take the weights with a pinch of salt, I had a bass last summer that was nearly 3/4 lb lighter than the estimated weight on the tape. Can't argue that it is £2 going to a good cause though. The trouble is, if you are trying to take a photo of the bass against a tape, it is almost impossible to see the figures on the tape. Larger numbers/alternate 10cm coloured differently, makes it much easier to get one good photo, and get the bass back in the water quicker, rather than fiddling about trying to get the photo right.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Totally agree, conversions don't work reliably.

Here's a very fat 50cm+ fish that would have challenged a length converted weight.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Paul,
What a porker! Looks like life is good for the bass where you caught that one. Great pic, shows what I mean, hard to tell exactly how long that fish is.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I had a fish last year that weighed 8lb 14oz, according to the tape it should have been 11lb. I also had a fish of 8lb 13oz which had a tiny head and should have been 7lbish according to the tape:

1oz difference in weight but nearly 10cm difference in length.

The fish I had yesterday had a large head and was very long for a 6lb fish, I'd guess it was around 70cm which is 8lbish on the tape.

The tape does not seem to be very accurate!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
The whole length and weight thing is so dependant on what the fish has had to eat. As most of us C&R we don't know what's in their stomachs but I often have a feel before I release the fish. I can't see how a Bass with a 1lb Mackeral in it's stomach is more prize worthy than one without. At last years Weymouth Fest Vidar and I caught 2 fish that were 2cm difference in length and probably from the same school of fish but his was about half a pound heavier than mine because my fish had an empty stomach. I do think we should ignore weights in all competitions and perhaps it should only come into force should there be 2 fish of the same size. The other thing with measuring only, is the fish isn't put through undue stress by being hung up on a boga or scales, as I've get to see anyone carrying a weigh sling ( does anyone carry one?) and their either hung from the lip or gill cover to weigh them. I'm not judging anyone by the way, each to their own. :)

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Andy , i always carry a mesh bass bag from snowbee !! perfect for weighing a bass in prevents the fish thrashing around on hung scales ......
And its there if i want to take a fish home , weather bass , mackeral , just hang it over the side of the boat and you can keep freshing up the fish with a wash of cold sea water :rollineyes:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Ha Ha proves my point about me never seeing anyone use it Bob as I'm the jinx when we fish together, neither of us catch LOL

·
Registered
949 Posts
Andy , i always carry a mesh bass bag from snowbee !! perfect for weighing a bass in prevents the fish thrashing around on hung scales ......
And its there if i want to take a fish home , weather bass , mackeral , just hang it over the side of the boat and you can keep freshing up the fish with a wash of cold sea water :rollineyes:
Weigh bags are a great idea - I've got a Mullarkies one somewhere but never take it cos its so bulky.This is another good reason for using a decent landing net - ideal for keeping a fish submerged in for a quick revive while sorting out your camera/ scales etc, and provides a really good weighing tool aswell. (OK so Steves net has seen better days but its seen a fair bit of action ;-))

1 - 20 of 34 Posts