The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just returned from a trip to Mull of Galloway with my mates who last year came very close to breaking the Scottish shore caught bass record with a fish over 13lb so to see if it had put a bit of weight on they decided to head back and I kindly accepted their invite to join them.
During the day we decided to have a go at the local pollack and conger and although the average size was down on previous years we had one or two fish in the 4 to 5lb range and conger to double figures.The get down to some of the marks was quite interesting . . .

These fish paled into almost insignificance when the star apprentice hooked into his new Pb, a fish weighing over 9lb on a very light spinning rod and jellyworm

Well done Lee a great angler in the making

Gary with a double figure conger

Myself with a Pb conger of over 13lb

As we returned to the cottage for a well earned rest and something to eat thoughts and conversation turned to the main reason for our trip, the quest for a big bass to beat last years fish.Just before dusk we made our way to one of the marks we fish and everyone was switched on and focussed.I made my way to the waters edge where I could see decent bass working the weedy margins in water barely 9 inches deep.I picked my rock to perch on and waited patiently for the tide to flood so I could cast my surface plug and have a go.First chuck an underarm lob of 5 yards and bingo fish on

This was followed by several others and the guys all took fish on a range of plugs and plastics and double hook ups were not uncommon

Lee once again showed he is a force to be reckoned with by again managing a new Pb bass of over 5lb

We stayed on the mark until the fish moved off and then spread ourselves over a wider area in search of the big one.Everyone but John had managed a few fish but his enthusiasm to catch his first lure caught fish didn't waiver despite the constant drizzle and wind.He was duly rewarded with a fish most of us will never have the pleasure of catching and can only dream of.What a way to pop your cherry as a lure caught bass virgin . . . .

A truly magnificent fish weighing 10lb 1oz.Well done to a fine angler and a true gent.

We fished the rest of the week giving it our best shot,enjoying some superb sport with the bass but deep down inside knew John's fish was going to take some beating.On the final evening 3 of us had 21 bass and 3 pollack between us and the fish were all fine fish between 3 and 5lb which I think is a good average size .Who knows maybe next time that record fish will be there for the taking and it won't be for the lack of trying if we don't succeed to catch it.

Many thanks to the guys for inviting me along your all top lads and I can't wait till next time

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I've read that report about five times Andy, and it still makes me smile. Such a good trip you lot had. I'm really looking forward to getting back up there myself in a few weeks.

Would be good to see some of the guys off here up there next year maybe, change of scenery from Wales, Cornwall and Jersey.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
An absolutely cracking report and photo's Andy. You did well to get the photo's in the middle of what looked to be a very busy session. You also appear to have dispelled the myth that you can't take photo's at night with out disturbing the fishing. Look forward to the next report.....

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At times things were a little hectic sometimes 3 of us would be into fish at the same time,most of the pictures were taken a little way from the area we were fishing or facing the shore.On the last night we got a few snaps when we were waist deep and the water was crystal clear (we were quite a distance from the shore) and although not the ideal thing to do it did not appear to scare the fish,a fact bourne out by the fact we continued to catch fish until we were eventually forced off the mark.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I used to take my son up there every year for a long weekend but haven't been for a while ...looks like I'll have to start going again. Did you fish the Irish sea side of the Mull during the day and Luce bay at night?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Woooooah!!! Some lovely fish and a great report too!! John's fish was a cracker!!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most of the better pollack marks are on the Irish Sea side but believe me when I say they are well off the beaten track.Weather permitting we fished them and fished for conger on the Luce Bay side when we couldn't.

Due to the tides most of the fishing was over before 2am

Gary and myself did a recce around the area and found what looked like a particularly promising spot to fish around half tide up so we marked it discreetly to fish at a later time.No prizes for guessing where John caught his fish from,I was actually fishing nearby waiting for the tide to flood to have a chuck there myself but couldn't see him,he was probably in stealth mode. :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
There's a really good mark just north of the Cod pool at Port Logan down a track which takes you around the headland. There's a steep road down the cliffs to a rocky beach and some fantastic rock fishing to the south. You're right about exploringand I bet Google maps or Multimap makes it a lot easier now. You've wetted my apetite for another visit now...don't think the wife would be too pleased as am going to the Welsh Bumble in a couple of weeks...... but you never know... ;-) ;-)

·
Registered
773 Posts
WOW! Simply fantastic, thanks so much for sharing.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
There's a really good mark just north of the Cod pool at Port Logan down a track which takes you around the headland. There's a steep road down the cliffs to a rocky beach and some fantastic rock fishing to the south. You're right about exploringand I bet Google maps or Multimap makes it a lot easier now. You've wetted my apetite for another visit now...don't think the wife would be too pleased as am going to the Welsh Bumble in a couple of weeks...... but you never know... ;-) ;-)

Pretty sure that's where we have been doing most of our Pollock fishing Trev. Loads of places that aren't too hard to scamble between when a mark isn't fishing and you need to move.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
You'd certainly do okay in the boat round the Mull ****. One of the locals take trips from Tarbet out pollack fishing with floated live sand eel and the action can be unbelievable, with double figure fish very likely. There's no doubt it's a beautiful place and the fishing can be great.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts