The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is aimed at two groups of people. Those who really know what they are doing and those who, like me, haven't really got much of a clue and are still fumbling around to one extent or another.

First question
-------------
Are there members out there who would be willing to give up some of their time to personally take a "learner" or two out fishing - you don't have to give away your favourite spots here folks - with them?
Not necessarily purely to catch fish, but more to teach them how to use the equipment they have, whilst maybe introducing them to some of your own? Be that anything from the rod and reel, right through to the lures you use in your area and most importantly, why? If so, then how about arranging "Teach ins" around the WHOLE of the country? This way, hopefully, people wouldn't have to travel hundreds of miles to get to spend a while fishing and learning from someone who not only knows a damned site more than they do themselves, but hopefully, the fishing environments may be closer to what the "learners" have locally to themselves too.
Sure, I would love to go spend a week in Jersey, or Cornwall or most places away from the muddy Thames Estuary, but its rarely possible. Also, the fact that when I do get lucky enough to travel around to such places, I would like to go there armed with some genuine knowledge rather than trying to remember whatever I had read in books or on the forum and translate that into a working method of fishing.

Second question
----------------
How many people are willing to raise their hands and admit their lack of "knowledge" etc and would like to attend such things?
I have no trouble with admitting that I am so far behind when it comes to knowledge and ability - lure fishing wise - that I sometimes feel like I should be dressed in animal skins and throwing a spear at the water! But, I would dearly love to learn.
Without meaning to "knock" in anyway whatsoever, those who can read and take in all they have read. Converting that to successful techniques. There are a great many of us in the world who simply learn things much much better and so much quicker by doing it "hands on". I would sooner spend the majority of a day being told what it is that I am doing wrong, so that I can teach my hands what to do right, if that makes sense?

Obviously, if this has been tried and failed in the past, then I apologize for wasting peoples time spent reading this.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
It's a very good idea Andy! As far as I know, nothing has been tried on a large scale. Perhaps it needs to be planned as a series of 'fishing days', one a month so that it can be more co-ordinated?

I'll be offering services like it down in the shop in Cornwall so would happily be part of a larger scheme.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It hasn't Ben?? I was expecting to find a single reply saying, "it had been done already".

As for the organization of it, I realize it would take a fair amount of planning etc, but for now, I merely wanted to ask the question and see what interest there was in the idea itself. Lets face it, it doesn't have to be contained just to the UK either. for now tho, one step at a time ;)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
There is, of coarse, National Fishing Week or whatever there is, but as far as I know it really gets very little support from anything to do with lure fishing. We'd better start finding out more about it I guess. If it's combined with some sort of Government planned week/scheme then it may make things easier. Like you though, I'd like to see it happening more often.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
It is time we formed a professional body of sea angling instructors and casters for fly, bait and lure.

The only way is to do it and be exacting in what is required. You soon get found out if you offer crap services.

·
Registered
540 Posts
It is time we formed a professional body of sea angling instructors and casters for fly, bait and lure.

The only way is to do it and be exacting in what is required. You soon get found out if you offer crap services.
Not just that but ask to see their qualifications!!!! I bet most "guides" are doing it without the neccessary qualifications, courses, paperwork, crb, first aid etc etc.

Cracking idea though Andy.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Andy, not sure if you are looking for some formal and professional coaching here or just some mentoring from more experienced lure fishermen. I am by my own admission an enthusiastic novice keen to learn from anyone I can, and yet I have still taken some others with me (totally FOC bar a beer or two!) and helped by passing on knowledge shared by others. To some extent this has formed the basis of our (in)famous Welsh Bumbles i.e. the free sharing of experience and knowledge with others. To that end, see what you can do to get the members in your part of the world together. We have had a blast doing it down here.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Andy, not sure if you are looking for some formal and professional coaching here or just some mentoring from more experienced lure fishermen. I am by my own admission an enthusiastic novice keen to learn from anyone I can, and yet I have still taken some others with me (totally FOC bar a beer or two!) and helped by passing on knowledge shared by others. To some extent this has formed the basis of our (in)famous Welsh Bumbles i.e. the free sharing of experience and knowledge with others. To that end, see what you can do to get the members in your part of the world together. We have had a blast doing it down here.
That's the type I imagine Andy is probably on about Tim. Just for a laugh, but at the same time in some way organised.

Out of interest, there are various qualifications for game fishing, but very little official stuff that I've seen for saltwater. Where would one go for saltwater guiding qualifications?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
France seem to have it sussed as a professional qualification. Very demanding requirements.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Makes sense. Helluva lot of potential problems or situations that can arise on the coast. First aid should be a must, like Iestyn says.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
There are a multitide of possible qualifications. Rock climbing, first aid, life-saving, who knows even kayaking.

There is also a fine balance between requiring the appropriate qualifications and making it difficult to break into the "guild" when the profession itself becomes self-protectionist ;-)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
That does make sense. Too many 'guides' would be crud for all of them. If it had a central association that was integral to it all then perhaps they should only release a certain number of guiding licenses every year to prevent the coastline from becoming over-run with wannabee's?! (me inc.) One organisation to arrange set qualifications, monitor members/guides and renew licences annually to those who deserve them. Plus assign new ones to newly qualified guides should there be room for them. Even a 2 step process... do the qualifications and be a lower form of guide (not the right words) and fend for yourself, or receive free adverising and recommendation as a licensed guide?!... Now all of that probably does exist elsewhere, and in a more detailsed and better fashion, but I'm just thinking out loud....

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
That does make sense. Too many 'guides' would be crud for all of them. If it had a central association that was integral to it all then perhaps they should only release a certain number of guiding licenses every year to prevent the coastline from becoming over-run with wannabee's?! (me inc.) One organisation to arrange set qualifications, monitor members/guides and renew licences annually to those who deserve them. Plus assign new ones to newly qualified guides should there be room for them. Even a 2 step process... do the qualifications and be a lower form of guide (not the right words) and fend for yourself, or receive free adverising and recommendation as a licensed guide?!... Now all of that probably does exist elsewhere, and in a more detailsed and better fashion, but I'm just thinking out loud....
Did you meet Olivier Berry in Nantes? You should have a word with him. For the right some of money he might even take you on as a padawan...

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Sounds like a great idea,
Great thing about teach in's/gatherings is everyone tends to end up learning something useful, no matter how experienced they are.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Did you meet Olivier Berry in Nantes? You should have a word with him. For the right some of money he might even take you on as a padawan...
No, unforunately not. Those frenchies are good though innum.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gents, the idea came to me simply because unlike a lot of people, I cant travel around to the meetings on the south and west coasts. Sure, there are those out there who are offerring a professional service and there is no way on earth that I would want this to tread on their toes, as it were. Next year, travel will be even worse for me personally as I am giving up having a car for a year so that I can afford to go to Norway. Sure, a certain amount of travel will have to be undertaken and I fully realize this. But part of this idea is spread out the areas to which meetings and teach ins can take place.

For me, fishing is supposed to be fun. It IS enhanced greatly by catching fish, admittedly, but as I mentioned to Ben (which he thoroughly agreed with) earlier in a pm, fishing is and must be more about just going out and catching fish to take home. Just beeing around a person with a bit of successful knowledge behind them and a keen sense of his or her environment and what inhabits that area does rub off on people. Sure, it would be great to come away armed to the teeth with all sorts of knowledge, but if it is only knowledge that is sought, then its best done in a classroom environment.
It's about learning not only what works, but why. Teaching those who want to learn more than the very basics of their fishing, like how to read the water. Wind lines (these work in the sea as well as the lakes), potential fish attracting and holding areas and why they are so. It's sharing your enthusiasm not only for hoiking a nice fish out of the water, but also for the nature around you.

You dont need to be a "pro" by any means of the word. Just someone who genuinely knows what they are talking about.
Health and Safety can and does go to extremes at times. But teaching newcomers the most basic of things like keeping an eye on any water creeping behind you. Whether thats on a stretch of rocks or a beach. Same with fog. You would be amazed how quickly and easily you can get turned around in that stuff if you have never been caught out by it.
Rather than H&S, better to impart common sense. Use enough of it and you should easily avoid any nasty injuries or accidents.

Most of all tho, this is not about getting me personally, a free ride ANYWHERE or with ANYONE. This, at its best, will be about teaching anyone and everyone who's new to this aspect of fishing. Be they a young kid or someone much much older. Helping them to gain all they can from what they are doing and best of all, thoroughly enjoying it. But at at the same time having confidence in what they have learnt too.

Lets face it, how many of us who have kids feel a massive sense of pride when they catch what for them is an impressive fish? I don't think its just that it's our child who has done it. I think a bit of ego comes into the equation here where you suddenly realize that they have done everything you taught them to do. From loading their own reels, to tying their own knots properly, to catching and landing that fish. Sure you were there and you may even have helped land the thing, but they did it all on their own and you taught them how! I know for myself how good this can make a person feel. I have felt it often enough with my own son as well as mates, their kids and their mates too. And no, I am not blowing my own trumpet here, I am just saying.

Daves comment above hit the nail on the head. We all tend to come away having learnt something and most of all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

As for the "professionals" being self-protectionist, I have found no better example of this than when I was trying to break into the tattoo industry. Everything from "teaching" you nothing but the wrong thing (subtle sabotage) to charging vast amounts of money to teach the most basic of stuff. Short term, it may protect them, but long term, I can only see it being a bad thing. Much better to encourage those who are good at what they do. As Keith said, "it doesn't take long to find out who are offering crap services" and thats true in any industry, I'd imagine. Personally, I couldnt be a guide. I am neither fit enough or devoted enough to brave stupid weather scenarios. If it's peeing down with rain, then unless its for something special, I wont be poking my nose out of the front door. That said, I like little more than taking an enthusiatic person fishing with me. It simply enhances your fun and pleasure of the day.

·
Registered
323 Posts
eastern states have open days for kids and any one else who wants to try there hand at fishing or learn more alot of sponership comes from the big tackle stores and voulnters help out .last year every kid was given a combo how meny pepol turned up 2600 fishing a lake specialy stocked.
here in the west recfish do the same but go town to town iv'e taught casting techniques knot tying and general dogsbody. give it ago aim at the kids make it a family day and see what happens

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Being a beginner plugger I'd love the opportunity to go out with people who'd be willing to impart some of their knowledge to me. Marq from this forum has been very helpful when I've met him a couple of times down at marks in SE Cornwall. Sometimes the tips have been about how to work the lures but others what to look for on the water, where the fish maybe etc etc.

I'd also love to spend a day or more with a professional guide & am sure it would be money well spent. It's just getting over spending that amount on a days fishing in addition to the cost of the gear you've got/need/think you need.

If something was organised down in this part of the world or if more experienced pluggers than me wanted to take me out, perhaps in return for a few pints or a pub meal I'd definitely be interested.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
If you're around on August 28th Toby, then come down to our shop opening day in North Cornwall. Bring some fishing gear with you and all being well we'll pop out for a few hours fishing after the shop closes for the day. All welcome to tag along. We'll have a chat, look through some lures etc and then wander down to one of the local beaches for a bumble. All welcome.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I could do with some lessons with softies, I really struggle to be honest and believe I am lucky when I catch on them. There are alot of techniques and tips we all pick up along the way, and if any of you are over here or in Weymouth when I am there I would love to share an hour or two during the day when the fishing is harder.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts