The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Just wondering if worth using a teaser in front of my plug this season? what works best and how should I attached it?
if you want to more than double your catch rate, then yes, there are sometimes i've had 90% of my fish in a session fall to a teaser when the bass are on small profile baits.

there's only a few times that i wouldn't use a teaser, when there's lots of weed, lots of bigger fish( you donot want 2 big fish on at the same time ), head on winds, other than that i'll use one.

as for rigging them, use either a drop shot style, or tie on to a swivel via a 8-12" dropper, when i fish teasers i like to have a gap between the main lure and the teaser longer than the biggest fish i'm likely to catch, IE. approx 30"-36".

teasers can be either small flies/soft plastics etc in the 1"-4" range, i've found the 3"- 4" range to be the best length

kev

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
if you want to more than double your catch rate, then yes, there are sometimes i've had 90% of my fish in a session fall to a teaser when the bass are on small profile baits.

there's only a few times that i wouldn't use a teaser, when there's lots of weed, lots of bigger fish( you donot want 2 big fish on at the same time ), head on winds, other than that i'll use one.

as for rigging them, use either a drop shot style, or tie on to a swivel via a 8-12" dropper, when i fish teasers i like to have a gap between the main lure and the teaser longer than the biggest fish i'm likely to catch, IE. approx 30"-36".

teasers can be either small flies/soft plastics etc in the 1"-4" range, i've found the 3"- 4" range to be the best length

kev
Any chance of a diagram or photo Kev, please !

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

kev

what type of flies? I have no idea about sea flies and any help would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
That's exactly what I wanted to know - which lures to team a teaser with. On the subject of flies, Keith is it feasible if you don't have access to bona fide bass flies, to take a single lure from a string of suitable lures designed for pollack etc?

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Keith is it feasible if you don't have access to bona fide bass flies, to take a single lure from a string of suitable lures designed for pollack etc?
Absolutely.

Me and kev often keep our teasers really simple. I like purely bucktail on many of mine with red thread.

The yanks carry pre rigged teaser leaders in quick seal plastic bags. I do that too in season.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Right - defo trying that this year then. Got some lures I can adapt and a mark in mind. Might have to be careful as I had two (small) fish on a Feed Shallow at once last year!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right - defo trying that this year then. Got some lures I can adapt and a mark in mind. Might have to be careful as I had two (small) fish on a Feed Shallow at once last year!
Me too, bet I catch more on teaser than main plug:), but at least it gets into the 'fly' thinking and working out what works best on different marks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Interesting stuff never gave teasers much thought before, but now having read kevins post that he has caught 90% of his fish in one season on one time to give it a go i think.what type of line would you attach the teaser to your mainline with would it be best with a stiff mono that would keep the teaser away from the mainline.
Thanks
kevin.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Interesting stuff never gave teasers much thought before, but now having read kevins post that he has caught 90% of his fish in one season on one time to give it a go i think.what type of line would you attach the teaser to your mainline with would it be best with a stiff mono that would keep the teaser away from the mainline.
Thanks
kevin.
i use the same size line for my teasers as i do with my main lure, remember also, you don' t always have to use a lure that catches fish, because if the fish are feeding on small baits only, just use a lure that'll will deliver the teaser out there and get down to where the fish are feeding if that makes sense.

as for using a teaser with no hook why ?

kev

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks
kevin.
I think he said 'one session' !!! I read it as season too at start but hey I'll try anything to improve my catch rate :)

·
Registered
519 Posts
I think he said 'one session' !!! I read it as season too at start but hey I'll try anything to improve my catch rate :)

yes i did say one session, but that has happened more than enough times over the years to know a good thing when it comes along, like i said theres only a few times i will NOT fish with a teaser,times many teaser fishing has saved a blank and not just smal fish, alot of fish to teasers can be over 5 pound, sometimes all the fish will fall to teasers and none to the plug, that's just the way it goes sometimes.

kev

1 - 20 of 66 Posts