The Lure Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First of all, what a great forum! Only just joined and already learned a lot just by reading through it! So thanks!

Now, I have just bought the lighter 8foot version of the Teklon Concept..took it out yesterday to get the feel of it and im sad to say i really struggled. I expected it to feel very different from what i have been using (11foot mike ladle surespin)...

But...my casting distance with the Maria Chase (favourite plug) is pretty much halved, which means i really couldnt get the lure out to the distance the fish normally take the lure. I could accept some loss of distance in favour of better ability to work lures, but this seems extreme! Is this jsut something you have to expect??

I modified my casting to style from the easier, slowish cast with the 11footer to a fast little whip, and found the lure turning over on itself in flight, and generally not flying out well. Im using varivas superbraid 20lb with it, and used to use 30lb of the same with the old setup, if that could make any difference?! Im not sure how though! Any ideas where i could be going wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated

Matt

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies

I guess its a case of just persevering to get the best distance i can with the rod, and accept that it wont cast as far as the longer rod (obvious i suppose!).

It works ok with the heavier lures..acheived a decent distance with the Patchinko, although this one goes a LONG way on the other rod, but on the flip side cant be worked so well due to the unweildy nature of the rod.

I just didnt seem to be able to "feel" the lighter lures in the cast very much, felt like i wasnt really loading the rod.

Il keep at it though, give myself chance to become more familiar with the shorter rod, and in the few instances where distance really is quite important perhaps take the old one instead.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies!

Il keep at it and hopefully start acheiving better distances as i get more used to a different casting technique.

I do want to carry on using the Marias though..as its been such a reliable lure for me. Maybe just limit its use to the times when distance isnt too crucial, and il have a look at those other lures mentioned for the times when the distance is more important.

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.