The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering getting myself a "proper" rod this year and being a regular reader of Henry's blog this one has caught my eye as good value.

Just wondering if anyone else has actually bought or tried it and what they think, good or bad?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I was very, very, very, very impressed with Henry's when I had a go with it a little while ago. I use a Shukan normally but preferred the Grauvell I think. Definitely had a softer tips so probably makes a better allrounder.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was very, very, very, very impressed with Henry's when I had a go with it a little while ago. I use a Shukan normally but preferred the Grauvell I think. Definitely had a softer tips so probably makes a better allrounder.
Cool, good to know,many thanks.

Any idea if it would be ok for soft plastics..? I'm hoping it's a bit of an all-rounder really...

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm also interested in any feedback on this rod, currently debating with myself whether to go for this or a sakura rookie. My main question is whether I'd be sacrificing much in terms of casting distance by choosing the Grauvell, although I've never been a distance caster whatever the tackle. And for the rough days which are often best for bass fishing on our surf beaches, does this have the power to chuck a 28g lure into the wind?
Mike

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
The fact that is has a softer tip, I think will make it a better rod for soft plastics than the likes of my Shukan! Those using them are comparing them with the Tenryu Supermix - which is a great rod with both hard and soft baits.

When I was having a go with Henry's, I was casting a 27g Daiwa plug without any probems whatsoever!

If I had a choice of just one rod to cover soft AND hard baits, I'd currently go for the Grauvell. If I was fishing more hard than soft, the Shukan (or Rookie?) is ideal!

·
Registered
18 Posts
teklon concept

i tried out the hevier rated of the two.great value for the money.i use a rod bar 270 at the moment 5 to 40gm for most hard and soft and i am thinking of getting a210 rod bar for mainly plastics.but ive just realised i havent got any money!but...i would definatly consider the lighter teklon concept.it comes a close second.but however not my first choice if i had 400 quid kicking around!

·
Registered
716 Posts
Money no object ? Tenyru all the way.......the red rods that I know are a class apart.

But, it's great now that we can get very good "modern style lure fishing" rods for all kinds of prices now, and I only see this situation improving. All credit to **** for opening my eyes up so much about these kinds of rods.

The heavier Grauvell is fine, but it does not have a very subtle tip and it's hard to "feel" much when working surface lures and especially soft plastics. It's a good grip it and rip it rod.

The lighter Gravuell is stunning - that's only my opinion of course, but this is the one I like. Have used it plenty for plastics, there is that all important "feel" with the more sensitive tip, and I reckon it's just a very good value "fish all lures all ways" kind of modern style bass rod.

Hope that helps.

Will be really interesting to see other rods like these at Nantes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I reckon it's just a very good value "fish all lures all ways" kind of modern style bass rod.
which is exactly what I want as I can't be bothered to have to switch between rods. Adding this to my birthday pressie list methinks!

Thanks all for your input.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Popped into Veals on Friday and bought one of these rods. Amazed at how light it is. Now itching to get out, flick some plastic and nail my first bass!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Good luck with it Paul! Lovely little rod isn't it! Hope it catches you a few!!

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
had a hold of one friday night belong to an a forum member, i must say i was well impressed with it lovely finish aswell,

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
Glad you like it as much as me Barry!!!

It IS a lovely rod...super feel to it and nice and light too....and it's finish is very pleasing on the eye.

Unfortunately I've yet to fish with it but hope to do so at the weekend....I'll post then and let you know but as of now Im really looking forward to putting it through its motions.

I coupled it with a 3000 Twin Power but immediately felt that it did not balance the rod at all and it made it tip heavy. After a call to Barry we met and I tried it with his 4000 version. The difference is immense and the 4000 balances perfectly. So Ive now ordered the 4000 size.

Just want to say thanks again to Barry for his help and opinions. Really appreciated.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts

It IS a lovely rod...super feel to it and nice and light too....and it's finish is very pleasing on the eye.

Unfortunately I've yet to fish with it but hope to do so at the weekend....I'll post then and let you know but as of now Im really looking forward to putting it through its motions.

I coupled it with a 3000 Twin Power but immediately felt that it did not balance the rod at all and it made it tip heavy. After a call to Barry we met and I tried it with his 4000 version. The difference is immense and the 4000 balances perfectly. So Ive now ordered the 4000 size.

Just want to say thanks again to Barry for his help and opinions. Really appreciated.
no hassle Crevan glad i was able to help you, hope that reel comes in soon and a few fish start to show need to get catching again

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hello
I've just got one of these too, also haven't used it yet and like the others am very impressed by look and feel of the rod, my first 'modern' lure rod and feels incredibly light and responsive. roll on spring

·
Registered
716 Posts
That 8' Teklon is a lot of very good rod for the money. Glad you guys are liking them, I love mine.

It is so good that we are beginning to be offered more "modern style bass rods" at all kinds of different prices - choice is a good thing.

Some of the new Sakura Rookie rods for example that **** is going to be doing - I "waggled" a bunch of them at the Nantes show and they are just so much awesome rod for not very much money at all. If you buy into these kinds of lure rods as being the way forward for lure fishing (I do 100%), then it's exciting times ahead.......

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
When you come over again Henry, bring it with you. I'd love to see it.
Sorting out cheap, cheap gear from cheap/great gear is a nightmare as you know.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have one of these rods also thanks to Henry's review and it feels lovely,as the others i haven't used it yet due to decorating/ 7mths old son =] i'm looking for a reel to match her and was really looking at the commeran 3000 as mentioned on here recently but after reading this now think maybe a 4000 is the way to go.

Any suggestions in the £80 range? Any help/reviews welcome =]

ta Jason

·
Registered
131 Posts
Teklon vs Rookie?? Which is the better rod or is it much a muchness??
Hello Ry
These 2 were the rods I had on a shortlist earlier this year. Canvassing opinions and reading reviews lead me to choose the Grauvell; it has a medium action tip and so is more of an all rounder than the Rookie, better able to fish soft lures, the Rookie is more of a dedicated plugger. Search old threads on here for more detail.
The good news is they're both highly thought of in terms of quality and value, it seems you can't go too far wrong.
Mike

·
Registered
716 Posts
Could not believe how awesome most of the Sakura Rookie rods felt at the Nantes show........but is one better than the other here ? Impossible to say, personal preferance and all that.

It's all good news in my book that more rods are coming onto the market. Some stunning stuff out there at all kinds of prices.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts