The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I popped over to my local tackle shop ealier, and whilst having a waggle of the lure rods, notice a new one in the racks. It had a familiar look about it. I took some pics on my cam-phone - spot the Telkon . . . . .

Im no expert, but i'd say that they came out of the same factory. Believe it or not, i did weigh them, as the Blue one felt a tad heavier, and it indeed came in at around an ounce heavier (which presumably means a cheaper carbon ?).

Half the price of the Teklon.

Discuss . . . . . . . .

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Tis a bit of a shocker really. By all means tweak something out there to make it better (any self respecting rod manufacturing company should surely have their own opinions and ideas?!), but don't just make something to look exactly the same. Whoever makes the copy should really have a few more brains than to think that people buy the Teklon for it's looks, rather than it's performace...

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Very similar eh.

Stuff like that really isn't on. Be interesting to know the full background of the copy.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my opinion, what we have are people distributing / supplying rods, that havent done enough to safe-guard their brand. In this case, it looks like Grauvell have gone to some jobbers in the Far East somewhere, and had them to knock out a few rods. Someone else has gone there, asked for the same (perhaps specified a different budget), and got a load of rods too, in a different colour.

My Fishpond pack is available in about 4 or 5 different 'brands' that i've seen - clearly the same pack just in different colours.

I guess the key distinction is when someone has gone out to specifically copy something (which isnt necessarily the case here), versus just using the same manufacturer to source a particular item, and going for the lowest cost option (i.e. - not designing it themselves, just using a standard template available on the open market).

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Guys - most of the rods are made in China ... still plan to go over and visit my friends part owned factory and visit the area that churns them all out - countless factories in an industrial area the size of Coventry (probably bigger now)

I wouldn't be surprised if they are actually made side by side in the same factory - at least it has a different colour scheme!

Be interseting to get a side by side actual use comparison?

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
They are both made in China aren't they? Thats the basic difference between China and Japan I suppose. China will get something and take it apart and copy it for less money, whera as Japan will take something apart, work out what makes it good and what makes it bad, master the good points and make the bad points good, built it better and improve it everytime they re-design it.

Who ever took this rod from Grauvel and sent it to be copied should be shot by the Grauvel mafia, but it happens to everything, and I am sure Grauvel will evolve a new model and leave this one to the voltures. I take it the copy is going to be cheap, and an ounce is quite alot in a light rod, I reckon about £50-£60 RRP?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
It has been going on for more years than most realise. Look at how many blatant ABU 6500C replicas are out there. On some you could even swap the parts over. You get what you pay for though in most cases - zero development and cheap and nasty materials. It will likely explode with the first decent fish!

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
The china manufacturers do this all the time (steal and copy) and I dont think they do make things better they just make it look the same and undercut on the price.
Not just with fishing tackle to,everything from what I have seen.
Personally I would encourage anyone not to buy 'cheaply made' copies of anything and it seems to me that in this case 'they' have seen that the designers and manufacturers of the Teklon rods have come up with something that works and people like,,,,,SO lets just copy it and get some of the action.
Its just an opinion guys,same as cheap copy lures.
I would always rather have the 'real thing'.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Nick, I totally agree with your comments.

Sir John Ruskin made the statement way back when,

"if you buy something cheap, it is wise to add somethiing for the risk that you run and if you can afford to do that, then you can afford something better in the first place"

·
Registered
268 Posts
I hate this thing with Chinese goods being an automatic "sub standard". Sure, 99.9999% of it is, but then we also have some quality tackle manufacturers going to places like China, with cheap labour costs, to have their goods produced. I dont see a way you can avoid buying Chinese, to be honest. They doont have to print, "Made In China" on the goods. They can put whatever they like! Its only if they get caught and proven guilty that they "might" face any repercussions.
You could argue that the cheap knockoffs will be cheaper. OK, so someone offers up for sale, their much loved Tenryu rod, never used, basically new, just been owned for a few months. Divorce, disability or whaterver forces sale. And you see it for £100 cheaper than the one you have been eyeing up on the shelf of your tackle shop. Its in no way cheap (price wise), but its substantially cheaper. I would gamble that at least 50% of us would "snatch someones arm off" for it if we had the money. Do you remember the old Stella advert?

Re-assuringly expensive........

Its almost impossible to avid buying a knock off copy of something or other these days.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I hate this thing with Chinese goods being an automatic "sub standard". Sure, 99.9999% of it is, but then we also have some quality tackle manufacturers going to places like China, with cheap labour costs, to have their goods produced. I dont see a way you can avoid buying Chinese, to be honest. They doont have to print, "Made In China" on the goods. They can put whatever they like! Its only if they get caught and proven guilty that they "might" face any repercussions.
You could argue that the cheap knockoffs will be cheaper. OK, so someone offers up for sale, their much loved Tenryu rod, never used, basically new, just been owned for a few months. Divorce, disability or whaterver forces sale. And you see it for £100 cheaper than the one you have been eyeing up on the shelf of your tackle shop. Its in no way cheap (price wise), but its substantially cheaper. I would gamble that at least 50% of us would "snatch someones arm off" for it if we had the money. Do you remember the old Stella advert?

Re-assuringly expensive........

Its almost impossible to avid buying a knock off copy of something or other these days.
I totally agree Andy, but thats not what gets my goat, its the fact that some people prey on others hard work and rather than improve on it they just suck the life out of it til there is nothing left. I suppose it is nice to have the choice though isn't it.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I'm not sure its about it being chinese really Andy. You're right on that part and its pretty much unavoidable these days. The stupid thing about it is that whoever is paying to get the second rod produced (knowing it'd be sold in this country or wherever else Grauvell rods are sold) and putting their name on it either, a) decided they would just do an exact copy, or b) knew so little about the market that they didn't know what they were copying. One of those will be the case, and both are silly - considering the popularity of the Teklon.

·
Registered
268 Posts
There is a "C" to the scenario here Ben.

Could it be that Grauvell just bought a design from a far east producer of rod blanks or whatever, as did the other company and they are both having the same rods produced? Someone taking a popular rod design and selling that design off to more than one buyer? It is possible that the other rod was built and sold in completely good faith....

****, huge difference between choice and a complete rip off. Worst of it is, is that no one will really take any product, labelled as being from China seriously until the copying and fakes stop. Which is a great shame because with that many people in their population, they have got to have some seriously useful brains in the country. People who would most likely be able to bring new and fresh ideas with them. But because of the reputation the chinese goods etc carry, they are not going to be taken seriously.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
There is a "C" to the scenario here Ben.

Could it be that Grauvell just bought a design from a far east producer of rod blanks or whatever, as did the other company and they are both having the same rods produced? Someone taking a popular rod design and selling that design off to more than one buyer? It is possible that the other rod was built and sold in completely good faith....
Absolutely. Grauvell would obviously have put their requirements forward (in terms of rod action and weight etc), and the blanks were produced. After that point though (assuming they themselves had picked their components to match their own budget). In doing it first though, they do buy themselves a little bit more respect. They did kind of get there first...

It is only the components we're talking about though. I don't know how similar the blanks are underneath it all...?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts