The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

I am holidaying in Tenerife this Xmas. I have two boat trips booked, I believe it's blue fin Tuna season, so that's off shore taken care of.

However, I will be taking plugging gear for me and my son Charlie to have a play around.

Anybody fished the island . Better still is there any forum members on Tenerife who can offer advice or a days guiding?

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I fished there in January Nick, and it was crap. I spent a day out on a fishing boat, and only one fish came to the boat all day. I wouldnt necessarily believe all that you read about the species you may encounter . . . . http://crestedwave.com/best-months-for-fishing-in-tenerife1.html it became apparent that the off-shore fishing is very patchy, and is not as per the link here.

If i were going back, i'd be taking my LRF gear & would be targetting the harbours & breakwaters for mini-species with s/p's. The plugging there was poor.

There are some big rays there than can be tackled with heavy gear, but that's not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
227 Posts
What part of the Island Nick? I remember a session fishing off the back wall at Los Christianos harbour in the late 80's - didn't catch much but did see a stone bass of 5-6lb swim past so it may be worth trying with lures. As Si says there are some huge rays there -if you fancy arm ache!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Good luck Nick, just check about fishing the Harbours, I think there are some local laws in place that you will need to be aware of :p

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
There's Bass at los Gigantes, had three around 2Lb on the little beach at the back of the harbour. I fished from 4 am to about 8 am, the fish all came before sun up on legered mussel. I'm sure they would take lures ok as there was a lot of surface activity at 1st light. Los Gigantes marina is full of fish but i nearly got arrested trying to fish there, it was good fun feeding bread to double figure Mullet by hand though. Under the wall on the far side of the marina there was a small sunken cabin cruiser with what looked like a small shoal of Bass swimming over it, i picked up a handful of gravel & threw it in. What i thought to be a small shoal turned out to be a 100 plus Bass in the 2Lb range, apparently there escapee's from the fish farms, throw the gravel in & they think there being fed! If i can find the photo's of the one's i had i will post them here. Btw also had Giltheads, White bream, Mullet, Wrasse & other bits i don't know the names of. Great for snorkeling as well.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys,

thanks for that. Mixed reviews. Staying at Costa Adeje. Spitting distance from Los Christianos and Los Americas. Not limited geographically limited as in-laws live on island and have car.

Will not be breaking arms hauling in rays. Been there and you have to stand still!!

I am aware of escapees from the bass farms. Have read about these before. I assume they can only continue to grow if left to do so!!

Will check out Steve's mark and report back. Any photos of location would be good Steve.

There must be fish out there somewhere. It,s an island for ****s sake.!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've heard of bluefish in the Canaries too - I've never fished there but I have caught Bluefish in the US this year - an experience never to be forgotten!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Mark, The canaries are home to most of the world records for Bluefish, they have been caught there to over 30lb!! Mainly the locals use float rigged live baits, and drift them out on the breezes. Also good sized bonito are a fairly common sight as well. Look to the rock marks close to deep water.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Fished Los Gigantis(sp) many times. from the rocks to the left of the hotel when looking seaward. The locals call it crab island. Had a few Barracuda on lures and Wrasse on sp's fished down the rock face. Watch out for big waves out of the blue. Nearly got washed off by one.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mark, The canaries are home to most of the world records for Bluefish, they have been caught there to over 30lb!! Mainly the locals use float rigged live baits, and drift them out on the breezes. Also good sized bonito are a fairly common sight as well. Look to the rock marks close to deep water.
Hi Dave,

I assume that is from the shore??

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fished Los Gigantis(sp) many times. from the rocks to the left of the hotel when looking seaward. The locals call it crab island. Had a few Barracuda on lures and Wrasse on sp's fished down the rock face. Watch out for big waves out of the blue. Nearly got washed off by one.
Thanks Dave,

will check it out. I will also watch out for the waves!!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Merry xmas Nick, go catch a biggy.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
My friends fished it last year, had nothing out boat fishing (cowboys apparently) but they had a couple of bass and barracuda off the rock marks (bring wire traces!).

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Brendan,

thanks for that mate. Do you know where your friends fished exactly. Getting a bit frustrated with Tenerife and haven't got there yet.

Even contacted the tourist board toady as a last resort to try to make contact with a shore based guide but as yet no reply!!

Wire traces are packed. Ever hopeful!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts