The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
last year (after the Weymouth competition) I lashed out on a Tenryu mix 270 rod and now want to avoid this getting damaged. Can anyone recommend a suitable protective case for this rod? I did look at the Flambeau Bazooka but was wondering if anyone knows of any better (and maybe lighter???) solutions?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hello Rick, i bought a rod tube from "Firefly Angling" on ebay, which is 1.45m x 0.120 and holds my rodbar (2.70), a bushwhacker (2.40), a 7ft esox spinflex and a 9ft fly rod (3 piece), the only thing is, they have now gone out of business, but i'm sure if you search around you will find one suitable for your Bar... regards.. Marc..

·
Registered
229 Posts
There was a thread showing some funky inflatable rod cases.

They looked interesting.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
do not laugh but I keep my VS on mine and use a padded gun case which cost about £8 and is an ideal length when the rod is split in 1 to fit in the boot of the car in fact I can get 2 rods and reels in the one case

·
Registered
2,581 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
89mm diameter BT duct cut to length.

does the job..
ah a man after my own heart, heres mine which is a piece of 6cm B&Q rainwater down pipe, lid and base made of cardboard and gaffer tape, 10 minutes £6......sorted ps mine doesnt have one of them "tenner to you " rods inside though !!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Go here:
http://www.tedcarter.co.uk/product.php?pid=black-plastic-polerod-tubes-P-1259

Black Rod tubes, cheap as chips. I know they are too long but just cut em down to size with a saw.

I searched for a while to find something suitable as I too splashed out on a Supermix 270 in Weymouth last year (cheers ****).

I ordered the extra wide version (3.75") to make sure the butt ring isn't squashed, although I can probably fit two rods in my tube so you might get away with the 3" wide tube, just measure the width of the butt ring and see what you think.
With the supermix being an odd sized 2 piece rod I wanted something to store and transport it in safely. This is ideal for me. Sure it's no indestructable bazooka tube but it is tough enough to protect it in most situations (unless you're a numptie that likes to run over stuff) and dirt cheap.

I also cut out some small round pieces of foam and glued them in the end caps to help pad it but thats just me probably being over protective :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Well (commission pending) Mr Fish does Cormoran rod tubes that can also take a reel attached to the rod in a hard tube.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Rich

Are you looking to protect the rod when travelling, ie rod not made up, or did you want something to protect the rod all the way down to the marks and moving round on rocks? There is a thread on protecting rods in the LRF/HRF section in which a number of links were posted for hard tubes that can hold one or two reel attached rods.

Mark

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow thanks guys plenty to think about there! I am looking for something to entrust my precious rod to when i fly or drive a long way. I did manage to shatter five ceramic rings on a Greys Excursion rod which has left me paranoid.:geek:
Richard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts