The Lure Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
and that snapped during a cast?????????????
Hi great rod the super distance does what the name suggests!! Very light and powerfull with a great action, Casts even the lightest lures super distance. I admit i now use the red luck topwater at 7" 2 length more nowadays, but i will never part with my super distance have it paired with my Daiwa hyper exist custom the two go well together. I do prefer these two over my other Tenryus Super light, Super strong and certainly Super distance!! Get one you wont regret it.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Hi great rod the super distance does what the name suggests!! Very light and powerfull with a great action, Casts even the lightest lures super distance. I admit i now use the red luck topwater at 7" 2 length more nowadays, but i will never part with my super distance have it paired with my Daiwa hyper exist custom the two go well together. I do prefer these two over my other Tenryus Super light, Super strong and certainly Super distance!! Get one you wont regret it.
Really interesting post Michael. I had a waggle of both the RLSD & the RLTW recently when i was over in ****'s shop. & i must say that i loved them. For an aweful lot of my fishing i have been using the Injection, but have reverted to the Supermix 240 when i feel i'll need to punch something like a Feed Shallow out into the wind. But, i don't like the loss of feeling on plugs like the Zonk on the Supermix. It's just not quite right for some scenarios (don't get me wrong, it does the job), and i'd like something with a stiffer tip (like my Shukan), but ideally light. Hence i'd been wondering about the RLSD & RLTW.

How do you find them on the various plugs Michael ? Do you find them suited to the different styles in different ways ?

Si.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi, I too have a RLSD, light as a feather , casts up to 28 g with no problem and you can feel the lure working on the sensitive tip, one thing missing not caught on it yet. i have bought it fish places without huge tide rips and on those calmer days however there is plenty of power in the butt if you get stuck into a good fish. If you buy one you will not be disappointed but I do not know how it would be in strong winds, that is were i would use my supermix 270 or the Red Dragon (tackle Tart)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hi, I too have a RLSD, light as a feather , casts up to 28 g with no problem and you can feel the lure working on the sensitive tip, one thing missing not caught on it yet. i have bought it fish places without huge tide rips and on those calmer days however there is plenty of power in the butt if you get stuck into a good fish. If you buy one you will not be disappointed but I do not know how it would be in strong winds, that is were i would use my supermix 270 or the Red Dragon (tackle Tart)
I must admit theres not much to choose between the two RLSD OR RLTW, I prefer the Topwater just because i like a shorter rod, There both very sensitive but with the power to tame any bass, I tend to fish on a regular basis and put a lot of hours in either side of the tides on the estuary, I find the lightness of these rods a particular advantage over my supermix, Iam a convert to the red lucks particularly in the casting power punching Feed shallows 105, Sammy 115, Zonk 77, Giant dogs, and the z claw really flys particularly when you catch a gull.Being serious simon its a fantastic tenryu i cant sing its praises enough already had 26 bass on it this season largest 7lb 20z. Hope this helps you mate.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
already had 26 bass on it this season largest 7lb 20z. Hope this helps you mate.
Bloody nora !!! 26 !!! & a Big Girl !! :clap:

btw - almost got spooled by a swan on Friday when fishing with Steve !! Had to cut my own line - the Injection was no match for an angry swan!!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am starting to get to grips with my RLSD and I love it, its a huge jump from the Diawa Sure Spin 1010 thing I had before it. Like Nigel says its sensitive, yet powerful and casts most lures almost as far as my 10' 10" Diawa but still 2.5' shorter.

I have it paired with the Shimano Rarenium 4000, which i lovely and light although bit tip heavy, i still can't figure out how to get the butt off to put a few small weights in it.

The tip did snap on mine when casting but it was replaced in two days, and that's great service! I am sure there must have been an underlying fault with it.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Very interesting thread.
Quite simply I want one.
And have done for some time,I use the RodBar270 for lots of my plugging but even though its brilliant at what it does I find 'for me' its too long and too powerful.
Then again saying that when the wind is howling into your face this rod comes into its own.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got one from **** at the end of last Summer, I've only used it half a dozen times but have no regrets. I changed it from a Rod Bar 2.10 which I felt was too short, basically the Super Distance is the same weight but the extra length lends itself to both boat and shore fishing.

It's a light Rod Bar , and bridges the gap between the 2.40 & 2.70 Bars..... it also has gold bling bits on the handle and and funny name !

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hi,

Anyone use a Tenryu Red Luck Super Distance
I,am curious at your opinion / experience

action
casting
real C.W.
etc.
Hi Harold. I'm not the most expeienced guy on here to review rods, but what little I know I will attempt to put into words. I moved up to this rod after using a Quantum 240 for about a year. I would say the true casting weight would be 7- 30 gms, any lower results in a definite lack of feel. The rod is fairly well balanced although it does feel slightly tip heavy. It certainly punches out the plugs ( and softies) a good distance and is quite happy either topwater, subsurface or sp's. The bottom line Harold, I wouldn't swap it for anything else at the moment.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I have had a RLSD for almost a year now. As bass plugging rods go it is (in my opinion) what a Rod Bar should be for UK anglers. After trying some other Tenryu rods they were just too powerful for what I do. Most of my fishing is with plugs of around 20grams or less.
I use it with a Branzino 3000 and it balances perfectly, smaller lighter reels may make it feel slightly top heavy. Handle length is spot on. The action is fast verging on very fast. This makes the tip soft but it does stiffen up quickly so most minnow and shallow diving lures work well, anything with a bigger bib will pull the tip around a bit more so you need to adjust your retrieve to compensate if necessary.
As for casting, welll it does what it says on the tin. For a rod of 2.50m (approx 8ft 2in) I have yet to use a rod that I can cast a Daiwa Saltiga 14cm minnow further with. It will cast 28 gram lures as hard as you like and anything from 7gm works well. I have had bass to 6lb or so on mine in a very strong current without problems but the rod does tend to 'lock up' under extreme pressure (a nice but all to rare feeling!!!!).
Build is typical Tenryu quality. No problems with mine whatsoever, a quick wipe down after use and it will last for years.
It doesn't do everything though, for lures below 14grams I use lighter shorter rods. For what I bought it for which is plugs between 14 and 30grams I have yet to try anything better.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have had a RLSD for almost a year now. As bass plugging rods go it is (in my opinion) what a Rod Bar should be for UK anglers. After trying some other Tenryu rods they were just too powerful for what I do. Most of my fishing is with plugs of around 20grams or less.
I use it with a Branzino 3000 and it balances perfectly, smaller lighter reels may make it feel slightly top heavy. Handle length is spot on. The action is fast verging on very fast. This makes the tip soft but it does stiffen up quickly so most minnow and shallow diving lures work well, anything with a bigger bib will pull the tip around a bit more so you need to adjust your retrieve to compensate if necessary.
As for casting, welll it does what it says on the tin. For a rod of 2.50m (approx 8ft 2in) I have yet to use a rod that I can cast a Daiwa Saltiga 14cm minnow further with. It will cast 28 gram lures as hard as you like and anything from 7gm works well. I have had bass to 6lb or so on mine in a very strong current without problems but the rod does tend to 'lock up' under extreme pressure (a nice but all to rare feeling!!!!).
Build is typical Tenryu quality. No problems with mine whatsoever, a quick wipe down after use and it will last for years.
It doesn't do everything though, for lures below 14grams I use lighter shorter rods. For what I bought it for which is plugs between 14 and 30grams I have yet to try anything better.
Thanks a lot Mike.
Marvelous RLSD review

1 - 17 of 17 Posts