The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Well, last night..

Paul B, Darren G, Tom P, Gary A, Scott and myself met up at Greve de Lecq, a nice NW harbour mark that has no light but has a long rocky lower arm and access to the rocks that are left of the pier.

we fished Greve for maybe an hour and we all split up to cover the most likely holes.

Paul and I opted for the rocks left of the pier.

Fishing slightly heavier to combat the nasty wind that had raised it's ugly head, I started 6g with a DOA fluketail. It wasn't long before i worked out how deep it was and I started feeling for 'on the drop' takes.

After 10 minutes or so, the tiny tell bump of a take was detected and a nice fish was pulling strongly. Too strongly in fact.
Anyway, to my surprise it was just a standard sized Pollack.

This was one of two I took from Greve Le Lecq. It was tough though, make no mistake.
After the hour the boys on the pier had assembled and the tell tale glow of headlamps indicated they'd had enough.
We decided to head off to Bonne Nuit to try to escape the wind. As it was...

That was a futile decision as Bonne Nuit was just as windy and soon, the heavens were to open too.
Gary A hadn't followed us and he probably made a wise decision. So, Tom, Paul, Scott, Darren and myself worked away at the harbour trying to get bites. Indications were that fish were present.

I fished the back wall but after missing a few takes, the wind increasingly worse, I decided to move down. No one yet had caught a fish. Most were on 3" long or more soft lures. Paul then went on a grasdos mission and failed. He spent an age trying to replicate the historical specimen grasdos I landed after a hard fight the other night at the same location. He failed !

Darren and Scott left, tail between the legs and I reached for the 'specials' box

I've just put this secret box together.

Close up and reference to the size of the lures.

This little guy was man of the match landing 3 fish. Jackson Jaco vib 25mm 4g

This small 45mm vibration lure was, like the Jaco, fished tiny rip, long sliding fall. ALL bites were detected on the drop.

One of 2 landed on the Jackson 'cymo' 4.5cm 5g. On 8lb braid and matching rod, cut through the wind, cast great, felt vibration was awesome, long sliding after vibrating it drew the takes.

Just a look at the Jaco vib. As it was peeing down with rain, the 2 bigger Pollack, in fact much bigger Pollack were returned without taking photo's.

Paul B holds one of the fish for me so we can show you just how small these things really are.

Fact:

The smaller I went, the takes I got. Paul is a good on the soft lures and although he himself switched down to light head a tiny xlayer, he couldn't live with the smaller stuff. Even though the other guys didn't catch, this result was important. It shows that again, armed with larger stuff, 5 or 6 blokes would walk away and suggest no fish were present. Of course, they may not be, but what if they ARE and we just don't fish for them right ?

This very small lure scenario has reoccurred too many times now for it to be coincidence.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Sounds like a tough night, well done on the fish in the end though. Those little hardbaits look interesting as well. Are you still planning on heading out tonight? Wind forecast to drop to 2-3 from the north

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Keith, excellent progressoin. I have quite a few of the small vibration baits but I think mine are for freshwater. They would still work but need more cleaning afterwards. Looks like the vibration is another important sense in the night fishing scenario.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The smaller I went, the takes I got. Paul is a good on the soft lures and although he himself switched down to light head a tiny xlayer, he couldn't live with the smaller stuff. Even though the other guys didn't catch, this result was important. It shows that again, armed with larger stuff, 5 or 6 blokes would walk away and suggest no fish were present. Of course, they may not be, but what if they ARE and we just don't fish for them right ?

This very small lure scenario has reoccurred too many times now for it to be coincidence.
Teasers ? They've got to be worth a go in this situation. Maybe a small lightweight tube fly ? Or even a Goldhead nymph, trout fly and fish it as a lure in its own right or as part of a team, either with other flies, or with a soft plastic or mini lure.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kev and I put great stead in the lipless crankbaits for both speed reaction stuff and vibration, rip and slide away stuff.
The vibration in short bursts, not long sweeps. It's too much for the Pollack especially now in the gin clean and cold water.

So, to be fair, I'd fished the style many times but not on the scale shown here. Ever.
I think there is mileage in the smaller vib baits as they work well when you are above the water level too unlike bibbed crankbaits that need a more water level approach.

On my ULX the 45mm version was giving incredible ! short burst feedback. The smaller 25mm one needed to be closer to feel the ripping vib but the rip was probably over 3 -4 ft at the rod top, no more.
Fish will detect this movement regardless of whether we do or not and I'm praying the new solid tipped rods will work these lures even better.

Hitting the bites was much harder than with a soft lure. Obviously, fish feeling a soft lure give you, the angler more time to react.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
how do you keep your carpet so clean?
He's got an HRF (Hoovers Really Fine).

That's twice you mentioned the word "failed" Keith. I prefer to think that I acted as a useful counterpoint to your testing.

If a certain shop hadn't been raided by a certain person for small lures I would have been in Grasdos central. Fancied a fry up too.

There's always next time. And it was a hoot by the way.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's twice you mentioned the word "failed" Keith. I prefer to think that I acted as a useful counterpoint to your testing.
When it comes down to the special little tarpon Paul...

There is but one...

LOL

I'll help you to catch one next time with an itchybum lure...

They ain't easy are they m8..

All a bit of fun Paul..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts