texas rig info | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

texas rig info

Discussion in 'Tackle & Tips' started by {name}, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Chub

hi ladds was wondering when you make your texas rigs on the lure above the bullet weight dose your weight runn freely up your line or do you have to put a stop knot if so how far up from the lure itself cheers paul:wink:

2. Striper

I do both, sometimes a free sliding weight seems to work better, I also use the small expensive Texas stop rubbers to fix the weight. Never used a stop knot myself.

3. Chub

Yeah, I also like those [expensive] Texas Stoppers. Don't like all that bullet sliding up and down mullarkey - but many do prefer it that way

4. Chub

whats the advantage if any of your weight sliding freely on your line??

5. Striper

If the weight is sliding freely it allows for an OTD take, the lead will drop fast dragging the line down and the lure will follow slower, especially near the bottom if you lift sharply so it all comes off the bottom, drop the rod tip down and the lead will slide down the slack line and hit bottom with the lure slowly drifting down. Good on sand to create a puff with the lead.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pike

Interesting - I can see how that would have it's advantages. Does the weight not part from the lure and ride up the line on casting though?

7. Striper

The weight hugs the lure on casting but it all changes when it hits the water as the lead is denser and sinks faster, this doesn't work with light cone weights i should add, a 2g one isn't going to do much unless you're on LRF size lures and lighter line.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pike

Understood - cheers Andy. I had visions of the weight overtaking the lure (being heavier and smaller) and the lure trailing back; otherefore impacting on distance and accuracy. May have to give that a go sometime though I think

9. Chub

andy can this be used over rough bottom ground matey:wink:

---------- Post added at 10:46 ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 ----------

andy can this be used over rough bottom ground matey also could you use power gum for a stop knot on your lure line

10. Perch

11. Salmon

I only use texas rigging, and never use anything to stop the weight, as I find it rarely leaves the eye of the hook. I use tungsten olivettes in sizes from 1g up to 5g for 95% of hrf style wrasse and bass (though mainly wrasse). It is great for fishing in snags. I seek out the cruddiest ground possible, flip the lure in there and let it hit the deck without worrying.

12. Striper

Paul-I use either a powergum stop knot, or a small piece of small diameter rubber tube ( pass line through tube and pass it through again) if I wanr to use a stop knot. Have to say though that a lot of the time I use 1 or 2 SSG split shots above the hook in place of cone weights. The shot can be crimped to your leader at whatever position you want, tight to the hook or whatever distance above it.........almost like a carolina rig.

13. Striper

Yes, you can use it over rough ground, but as Mark says above, it's just as easy to use a lighter weight to avoid snagging if it's gnarly and after wrasse. It's just another thing you can do to fish OTD if fish are being fussy or a lighter weight isn't getting you down if it's rough or a bit of tide.

Can use a stop knot if you feel the need but on of those cheap float stops (the ones on the round bit of wire) will also do the job.

14. Chub

ile be going for wrass andy ....whats the best lures and size also same qeustion as for pollock cheers

15. Salmon