The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
9 fished.

lost count of fish total at the end. Well over 30.

Darren G had 11, Kevin must have been close to that.

Mark Sleep again caught..

Gary A and his Lad caught so i was told.

We had a visitor, Steve (last name ?) caught a few Pollack.

I fished differently tonight.

First up was the drop shot. Believe me, from the above fish numbers it rings of an easy night...

It wasn't. It was really slow at times.

Drop shotted Pollack. Plastic fished vertical down the harbour wall.

Rockling to soft plastic. Nice ! First one i know of.

Mark Sleep with a nice Pollack taken on his new salty shot LRF. Nice action.

Kevin was using a 1/16 oz head and a baby craw to take a multitude of these.

I hadn't stopped playing...

Another first. Grasdos (Smelt) jigged to soft bait. Yes !

Tom Phillips had 4 fish, Chris Steel (Squid) made a guest appearance tonight too.

All in all, a bit further around the corner of the learning curve.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Yesssssss! I knew those Rockling would be possible!! Good work on the grasdos too!!!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Another great night with much learnt again. I took my youngest lad with me and before I'd even finished setting up my rod, he'd pulled out his first pollock on a piece of gulp alive ragworm.

It wasn't long after that I had a hit on a gulp sandeel I'd been kindly given by Darren (nice one mate). This fish took the sandeel deadstick (another first for me).

One more fish for me a bit later on another loan lure, sadly it fell off at the wall.

Thanks again lads for all the help, and well done Keith for the new species.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Congrats,
You seem to be able to consistantly find the Pollack, and now two more species. I am sure there will be many more new species yet.
Well done Guys.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Well done - again! - guys. To be fair, Keith, you did reckon the smelt and rockling would be possible on the SPs and you have done it in the depths of a very cold winter so bravo! What next?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Well done again. Keith I can see why a good table of species and results would be beneficial.

Oh and nice Hoodie there too ;)

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Well done on the grasdos and a begrudging well done on the rockling!!!! I suppose it is a fish (but only just, it even looks like a piece of sh!te)!!!!

Only joking, I mustn't let my personal dislike for rockling cloud another two milestones in lure fishing!!!! Excellent.

Keith, if you are fishing vertical for pollack, try ice jigs. They work for LRF and are popular in Japan.

As an aside, can somebody give us a quick review/compare of their LRF rods please? Still looking and any info would be useful. Are solid tips much more sensitive? The one I use seems to be but looking for more examples.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys but...

This is a team effort and one which is driving everyone along.

There will be more to come, i promise.

Mike:

We are all on tubular tipped rods right now. MC Zaltz solid tip on order.
Mark has the only proper LRF rod right now and it looks and feels great under fish pressure.

Ice Jigs ?

Hmm, a new one. Will check it out.

Next mission: Sat night.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi Keith

Are most of the lures that are catching being scented in some way? Looks like the Gulp-Alive is doing quite well.

What was the Grasdos caught with? Was it a trimmed bake worm?

Jeremy

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Keith,
these (or similar) are the types of ice fishing lures they are using:

Sorry, can't get the link to work. If you look on the Bass Pro website > Freshwater Fishing > Ice Fishing Equipment page down until you find the Rapala Jigging Rap.

They are using similar types of lures for vertical fishing for LRF. Makes a lot of sense.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I am loving this, its mental and just shows the potential. Are we going to have a fish race, or a "see who can catch the most species" challenge? Great stuff, hats off to all concerned.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
What would the grand slam be on the light SP's? Could have a mini grand slam, you get it by catching Grados, Rockling and Pout, then the standard, say Bass, Pollack and Wrasse, then a special one, Bream, Turbot and... you get my idea. Not in the same session I would point out!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What would the grand slam be on the light SP's? Could have a mini grand slam, you get it by catching Grados, Rockling and Pout, then the standard, say Bass, Pollack and Wrasse, then a special one, Bream, Turbot and... you get my idea. Not in the same session I would point out!
Hey, why not.

We are writing the rules here LOL

All in the name of a bit of sport.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
It'd be like collecting a set of something. Gives me some targets anyway. 'The Speedster Trio' - Mackerel, Snipe and Scad. They'll be good fun on the LRF!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
What a great idea!!!!

Don't forget mackerel and gars, need a third partner for those!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Sounds like a plan. Most species on SP's with sets of fish to earn points. Just for fun, a point per species and an extra point if you get a "set" of say Bass + Wrasse or Beak + Mackerel or soemthing like that?? 2 points for the unusual

1 - 20 of 27 Posts