The Lure Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in the last few days plenty of bass being caught in my favourite mark all on CRAB.i was out in the kayak for first light and met my mate alan who had fished all night with CRAB he had 11 bass.he was frozen solid with the cold during the night and 11 bass it was worth it he said.so he went home and i kept going in the kayak 6 hours later not a touch.i tried hard lures soft plastics etc.are the bass just on tunnel vision for crab what do ye think?alan got a new camera and took this pic i was a good 200yards away.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Fair play for getting out there Pat, it def looks cold. Maybe time to convert those silver bullets off the crab and onto the plastics. In all serious though, does anyone have any ideas on tackling fish that are targeting crab? If you visit a mark/spot where fish are being caught on bait and you want a decent chance at getting their attention.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mike i had heavy frost on the van this morning it was freezing.it is very frustrating to know the bass are there but lures dont seem to be doing it at the moment?

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Hi Pat,

Glad the Bass are showing, they must be just switched on to the crab moult at the moment if they won't take any thing else, maybe some SP crab imitation's are the way to go ? maybe some of the flavoured kind ?

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
steve im going to have to do something ill just have to keep at it.
I know you will and learn from the experience, just share what you find with us ? PLEASE !

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Great news about the Bass Pat. How big were they? they must have been coming in at a steady rate for him to stay all night. There must also be a pretty good crab moult if Alan managed to get himself enough bait to last all night. Good signs all round.

·
Registered
133 Posts
In all serious though, does anyone have any ideas on tackling fish that are targeting crab? If you visit a mark/spot where fish are being caught on bait and you want a decent chance at getting their attention.
Honestly, just keep persevering with the lures. Even when bass are focused on crab they WILL take a plug.
Works for me at times.
I outfished two of my mates one day last year who were fishing with fresh crab bait, when the bass were on the crab, 6-0 to me!!
That lure passing over them will get there attention after a while, sometimes just drives them mad that they hit it out of instinct or they are just irritated by it, in my opinion.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
trev the bass at the moment are all small 2-3lbs he had 50 good size and 20 small crab he got flounder and codling as well.
nigel i have been plugging all over the winter im not going to give up now i think it will kick off soon.
alex do you think im frightening the bass with the gangsta look?

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Cheers Pat good to here the season is about to start. You are far more dedicated than I am persevering with plugs like that. I don't think I could have resisted putting a nice crab on the hook to get a Bass......:mrgreen:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi all. just a quick line to say, all bass I caught sat-sun on crab were small they all averaged 2lb. I think that's what keep me there so long,trying for better I suppose?
Every week since the third of jan we have been trying lures and soft plastics with only a couple of sea trout caught.
I tend to agree with pat that at the moment bass are focused on the crab . Certainly will change soon.
If it's any consolation to any one. I saw oystercatchers feeding on sandeels so maybe when the novelty of the crab wares off
and bass switch to the sandeel fish then will be caught easier????????????

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
alex i had a wooly hat on under the hoodie as well it was freezing.get the bolt cutters out that will sort it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts