The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...…….perhaps not in numbers but they’re still around……

Went out on Sunday to morning a local mark that I’d fished before, not a lot, but thought that it warranted a bit of further investigation. Things were not in my favour – the tide was dropping & the sunshine was quite bright, but still thought that it was worth a shot. The water was quite clear, which has been a bit of a rarity lately down here & after all I was out, away from work & the wife & kids :)-) - I love them dearly but I also love my fishing & my time away doing just what I want to do). The sun was also shining, just a beautiful day all round really.

Maybe, just maybe there’d be a fish out there for me. Simon L’s recent words were echoing in my head, in some spooky whispering voice.......

"........the Bass are there !!! Keep fishing for them as if they were there !!! Never ever ever give up !!!"

Not much of a swell to talk about so scouted around for somewhere better to fish. I spotted one part of the mark that I’d not fished before so ventured out. Things were looking a lot more promising here. It was exposed to a bit more swell & movement in the water.

Being relatively cold of late I didn’t think that the surface lures would work, but thinking back to the bumble when some fish were caught on a Z Claw & Patchinko 2, I gave them a whirl. No joy. I then put on one of my sinking lures – Jackson Athlete 12SS, a sinking lure, in red & gold.

2 or 3 casts later, the rod tip felt heavy….was this a fish? The drag started ‘screaming’. Game on, fish on!! :horsesword:. It was a really weird take. Now after not really having any success in my recent sessions I was quite excited :-D(OK very excited :jump::jump:) at the prospect of bringing in a fish. (cue heart rate going up a few notches:shock:). My rod was bent like never before, every few seconds the fish would make a run, from right under my feet too. This was either a new PB (PB = 3lb 1oz to date) or I had foul hooked a fish…………I caught a glimpse as a slab of silver put in an appearance at the surface, before it dived back down……….B*****ks. Foul hooked in the flank. Still looked a nice fish though.

I eventually brought him in. A nice, fat healthy looking bass. Whenever I catch them it strikes me everytime that they really are beautiful looking fish. A bit of a crap photo but here he is – measuring in at 47cm

IMG0018A.jpg

I popped him back for another day when hopefully the next time we meet it will be my PB. I was well excited, giving myself loads of congratulation :-D:-D. All of the pent up frustration came out after having caught that one, having spent hours out in the past few weeks without getting anything half decent.

That was pretty much it for the rest of day. No more fish. I’m pretty sure that I had one more knock though. At LT, when the water was pretty slack I popped on the SP’s for a bit of practice, in hope of catching a wrasse, having read Andy M’s recent post (http://www.thelureforum.com/showthread.php?t=5734post….). No luck but I also had fun messing around with my SP’s in a rockpool, changing the jighead weights, going weedless etc just to see what difference it made & appreciate what was happening when I cast them out proper. I really need to get a rod that I can feel the SP’s with though. That & more practice – my 8’ AFAW rated at 10-55g, feels over gunned for most SP’s & I have great difficulty feeling what’s going on with the lure. It normally ends up with me losing my set up.

Session over at about 2pm. Had to be back for some family time. Walked back to my car with a smile on my face :-D– OK the fish are not around in numbers & the one I caught was not the biggest in the world but one of the most satisfying sessions I’d had for ages:clap:

Attachments

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Very nice report Toby :D, well done on snagging a Shirley, and for 'never giving up' ;).

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Very nicely done matey!! :D

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Well done Toby,
Sometimes it is just about putting in the hours, Great to see you got one.
Now if si could predict a few more fish we should be laughing.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Well done mate!!

I guess you were out Heybrook way or something? I'm on the case this weekend, you out?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Yeah definitely Toby! Mark has already said he's up for Sunday - PM me your mob and I'll give you a text mate.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Nice One Toby I am up for a trip out Sunday May try a different venue No fish showing at the moment at our usual

·
Registered
194 Posts
Nice one Toby, glad your efforts were rewarded.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Congrats mate superb effort there i saw a few fish though noe takes yeterday in the harbours and jetty's again so they are there. Couldnt find them today though i did manage to track down the wrasse again.
Was out on a surf mark this evening and it was heavy through there too much to fish it.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
top man toby nice to see you got your mojo back !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts