The Lure Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a day spare whilst in Miami on a business trip and intended to go after Tarpon, Barracuda and Mackerel in the Everglades. Unfortunately the weather prevented this with strong Northerly winds preventing us getting out and stirring up the water into a chocolate soup.:sad:

Not to be defeated we agreed to go after Peacock Bass in the canals. I was picked up at 0800 and a stop at the local fishing store saw us buying 3 dozen live bait which was a surprise especially as my reading had told me peacock bass can be taken on both hard and soft lures. My friend said he only had caught them on live bait. Not one to turn down a challenge I bought 3 J7 Rapalas (same size as live bait) and a packet of Gulp softies with 1/4 ounce jig heads. Off to the canal not feeling that confident and wondering how long I could resist using live bait we arrived to find very clear water in a canal 30' wide and 9' deep in the middle.

We started and not feeling at all confident now I had a small fish follow my gold J7 rapala, I did not have a clue what the fish was. Nothing for the next 15 minutes and neither did my friend on his live bait. A move 50m down the bank second cast wallop fish on and then 5 seconds later off. Still did not have an idea what it was. Another 10 minutes and beginning to believe my friend that live bait was the answer. By this stage he was standing next to me, a cast down the bank - twitch, twitch and wallop. This time no doubt as a 2lb Peacock Bass leapt from the water and then headed off down the canal. Three or four minutes of a hard scrap and the fish below was on the bank.

M10p1.jpg

My first Peacock Bass.:mrgreen:

I went on to miss two more fish before moving to the next mark. The second mark was a slightly wider canal backing onto Wal-Mart in a slightly dodgy area of Miami! First cast a follow then a take and so it carried on for 9 casts but no hook ups. The highlight of this mark was watched a circa 5lb Peacock Bass follow the lure twice but not take. The wind started to increase further and as it did so the follows dried up. Another 45 minutes in this mark and it was time to move again. My friend had still not had a touch on live bait!!!

The final mark was more sheltered and second cast I induced a follow but no take. A shout from up the bank and my friend was playing a 3lb 8oz Peacock Bass taken on an SP we had bought earlier. A lovely fish which turned out to be the biggest of the day and his PB. He was fishing one side of a huge enclosed sewage pipe which crossed the canal so I took up residence on the other side and changed to a Gulp SP as it appeared the fish were deeper due to the wind. Four or five casts later and I was playing a 2lb 9oz peacock bass.

m10p2.jpg

As I was landing it a very smart bass boat came round the corner and the guy on the front asked me what I was catching on. Smugly I said a Gulp SP pretending I knew what I was doing. His reply was I spent $375 for half a day's peacock bass fishing on this boat and I have not seen a bass yet. My smugness left when the guide parked his boat 40' from where I was standing and started to fish. In a few casts he had one too.

To cut a long boring story short I caught another small peacock bass and 2 Talapia one which went over 2lbs. My friend caught this::-o

m10Devil Fish.jpg

Probably the brightest fish I have ever seen caught. We ended the long morning with 5 Peacock Bass, 2 Talapia

m10t1.jpg

and the orange thing we called a Devil Fish all on lures. Almost all of the live bait was released live and on the way home my friend said - I will not bother with live bait again - it is only lures for me now.

Anyway going back in February to try the Glades

Attachments

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
That's good going Nick. The Talapia looks comedy camouflage-wise next to the Peacock Bass. Do they live in the same waters???

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Great report Nick.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great report and Pics Nick, stunning fish :p

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Cool Peacocks Nick,
Peacock bass love surface lures as well (hint hint!!)

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Believe it or not those peacocks that you caught are more than capable of eating those talapia. Seriously greedy fish peacocks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts