The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tonight it's Wednesday evening & that for me means Fire Station drill night. But with two leave night to get in before April, it would have been rude not to have another short mindfulness session this evening.

I arrived at 6-10pm & I was back at the car before 7-00pm..........you do the maths. We, Jake, Jerry & I hit the beach & the sea was like a mirror. It had been rough all day but now it had calmed right off.

Fishing blind, as there were no sea trout signs, I hooked into a hefty lump third cast. Luckily for me, Jerry knows the drill all too well, when he gets a hook in his body whilst swimming deliberately to intercept my lures. He looked at me & I could tell exactly what he was thinking. He altered course straight to me to have field surgery for a hook point in the chest. He has had this kind of surgery many times before. The worst was a Zonk treble right in the mouth. He only did that once though.

With the hook out I fingered the treble, feeling the hook points. Oh no.....I had committed the cardinal sin.
Now successful sea trout fishing requires two important things. One is the correct rod & the second is sea trout sharp hooks. Razor sharp just won't cut it (excuse the pun), it has to be sharper than that. And I hadn't sharpened the hook points after the previous session.

As I pondered my dilemma, a sea trout jumped just to my left. With the reactions of a cat, I had a lure over him & was hooked up like that. He became airborne again with two fins sticking up at me & a look that said 'sharpen your hooks you tosser'. And he was gone.

There were sea trout everywhere dimpling the surface. I cast again & hooked up for a split second, then slack, I stopped, doing the old spin stop trick & hooked up again. This one made it ashore.

Three more sea trout followed, two landed & another lost, all like peas in a pod. A serious error on my part, as I normally carry a diamond slip stone, but it was back in the car.

The sea roughened up again & I was thankful for that thirty minute window. Two small coalfish helped me appreciate what a hard fighting fish the sea trout is, as these came to hand with hardly a struggle.

My mindfulness session was over for the evening, back to reality again for me.

17195612_10212507817389594_1490229296_o.jpg
17204305_10212507817429595_2068542355_n.jpg

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Not too shabby Nigel. :clap:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I am getting worried Nigel. 2 sessions in a week is nearly as many as you did all last season. You must have it bad to need so many mindfulness sessions. Keep it up though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Excellent angling and report Nigel :)

Poor old Jerry the pin cushion...but he sounds a well trained sort of pooch by the sounds of things unlike another dog I know, luckily that one doesn't like water and chasing plugs.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Another great short session well done not sharpening your hooks did seem to hurt you to much lol. I f you don't mind me asking what is the lure and is it any good for bass

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Brian/Stephen

The leader is 15lb fluorocarbon.

The lure is a Hansen Stripper & I use them in various weights & colours from 4g up to 22g depending on water depth, flow rate etc.. The lighter ones you can cast with the aid of a bombarda float, bubble float etc..

That particular lure is 12g in weight.

Don't think that the white one is the be all lure, as it really depends on the day.

Colour is important & so is lure action. From my experience white ragworm spawn locally at this time of year, hence a white spoon that looks like a ragworm swimming, is the go to lure now at this time of year. In a few weeks we will be on different lures/metals & colours. Match the hatch as they say.

Sometimes red is the killer colour, sometimes natural colours.

I've not had bass on them, but I guess that I haven't really targeted bass with them though.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Unfortunately for me Nigel I've got no holidays left and had to go to drill night but we'll done you on your catch

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Yet to have one of them on a lure ,seen them jumping down here but then a Yammy is nothing like your gear Nigel .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts