The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Welsh legend Daz Edwards text me too say he had a few good hits on his Chug-Bug the other morning and this got me thinking. Why don't I own one?
Now this plug is most North Wales' pluggers go too lure, the locals love it! But I never had any faith in it, it doesn't cast well and looks crap too my eyes!
However after seeing Daz knit one, pearl one the other day after getting a hit on one I thought it might be time too bite the bullet, call the bank manager/wife and invest in one.
After recieving the green light I went too visit the local tackle emporium that is Malcs(ABC Beaumaris). After long deliberation I left with the only model he had in stock. £6 less to my name (Yes £6!!!) i'm stood holding the larger size Chug in Blue and silver. Not the colour I was after but hey, its only gonna get a ten minuite run before it's relegated too the also ran box, right?

Now conditions looked perfect too try one of my favourite top water marks, flooding tide and very overcast. I arrived at the mark too find perfect water clarity and thought lets give it a go. There was a bit more chop than normal, perfect for trying out my new toy before switching too my tried and tested Frosty,Baby Patchinko, Sammy et al..

First cast (that went further than expected) big splash down, wait, one biggish pop and WHAM! 'WHAT THE.....!' Huge hit but no hook up.
That wasn't expected and little did I know I was about too have my best shore/top water session ever!
I had four seperate hits before I hooked and landed my first one but from there on in I was shaking and laughing in equal measure. The Chug-Bug was getting smashed all over the place whether popped long and slow or short and sharp, with the pauses being the real highlight. During one cast I honestly had eight or so splashes,swirls,smashes and hits before hooking one.
On retrieving one bass there were four other bass following him in through the clear water too my feet!! I knew I had pulled it out of a shoal so after unhooking and slipping him back I re-cast too the same spot and bang fish on. I had three fish in as many casts. What a plug,£6..mental.
The fish up to this point had all been around the three pound mark and all gave cracking sport on my light seven foot out fit.
The shoal had now dispersed slightly but I was still getting the odd hit when the Bug was floating inocently about 20ft out in crystal clear water of about 5ft deep. From no where it got absolutly killed by a quality fish. A great scrap ensued wth some nice long, line taking runs and plenty of the classic big fish thump, thump head shaking. I could see it was a nice fish in the clear water and when I got her in she went six and a half pound(a season best) and was in perfect health.
I managed too grab a beach comber who was passing by and asked if they would take a pic when I realised I didn't have my camera,DOH!! Wait I had my phone on me, a quick techno. lesson and a few shots bagged I slipped her back and watched her cruise off strongly sending the white bait scattering as she went.
I was elated and at some point during the fun the tide had turned and it had gone flat calm. I figured the Chug bug had done enough for one day so played with some other top waters. The highlights included a nice 4ish pounder on my new Asturie(pic. included), and a classic moment on the Baby Patchinko when it got engulfed off the oily calm surface the rod bent round lovely, and then straightened again, DAMN HOOKS.

All in all I think I got seven fish too the shore(6 to the Chug-Bug), lost at least 2 and had so many hits I honestly could have had twenty bass on another day. But it wasn't about numbers it was about having my eyes opened too the quality of the Chug-Bug and having an absolute blast, I've never experienced top water sport for bass like it and doubt i will again for a long time! I'll never forget it.

The only down side was that when I looked at the pics. the beach comber had put there finger across part of the lens!!! Well at least you can still see the fish! Here are a couple of pics.
First the 4lber on the Asturie-

And my season P.B on a static Chug Bug-

All fish were returned unharmed.
Cheers Nath.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
what a terrific session! I have a couple of chug bugs in the garage, maybe i'll take them with me next time I go

·
Registered
363 Posts
Fair Play Nath you are on form at the moment mate. Fantastic session!!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Great sport nath and lovely fish there matey.Clarity is the key,amazin contrast to a week ago eh.As for welsh legend WTF? lol.you been down the pub???there are pluggin gods and legends up here nath and i aint one of them but by the time im suckin on a boiled sweet,wearin a diamond jumper, stinkin of pixx ide like to be at that level.Your not far off midas!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
WOW more money to spend now !!!!!!!! well done nath

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Superb session Nathan !

If we carry on having this mild weather we will probably see a few more fish by yourself on the forum.

Look,s like Malcolm,s stock of Chug Bugs will be cleared out after this weekend:-D

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome!!!, Can't say I have ever owned a chug bug, it sure looks good, does it cast anything like a z-claw?
Not as true and straight as a z-claw and not quite as far. It goes far enough though!! Not sure about the smaller one.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Nathan,
Cracking session, it is amazing when the conditions come together and the bass really go for it.
Nothing like bagging them off the top!!
Your Season PB is a lovely looking bass, and the water behind you looks perfect.

·
Registered
46 Posts
After long deliberation I left with the only model he had in stock. £6 less to my name (Yes £6!!!) i'm stood holding the larger size Chug in Blue and silver. Cheers Nath.
Are you sure it was the large sized Chug Bug, i.e. the CBS 11cm 26g? It looks like the smaller 8cm one in the photo but it could be the lens making it look smaller.

I ordered the large one and was pretty surprised when I saw how big it was. It makes a hell of a splash when it lands. The smaller 8cm one looks like it might be a better size but are difficult to find. Also the new Chug Bug Madflash 8cm ones look amazing but don't appear to be available in the UK.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cheers Dave!
It was top water heaven.
The sea was so clear that I could see the bass under the lure waiting to hit it!
The 6 and a half pounder had that stunning White and blue colouring to his lower fins and the tip of his tail. You can see it in the pic on his pectorals. A beauty!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you sure it was the large sized Chug Bug, i.e. the CBS 11cm 26g? It looks like the smaller 8cm one in the photo but it could be the lens making it look smaller.
Yes mate it's defiantly the bigger one. I was quite shocked at it's size its a really fat thing! Subtle is not the word!

Has anyone tried the madflash models yet?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Fantastic Nathan, it just proves that when feeding Bass will take almost anything from your £6.00 to the £20+. Sounds like a grea little session

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just found some Madflash models available at ALL THINGS FLY-Fly Fishing on eBay.

I'm not connected to them in anyway, but have been searching for them for a while.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts