The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the idea of making DIY lures and the ability to leverage existing designs but it seems there is a potential issue with copyright if you make your own copies of existing lure designs. I found this site very quickly, which seems to say that just using a copy of a copyrighted lure is an infringment of the law, in addition to selling them (which I thought was the substantive test).

http://www.humphreys.co.uk/designs.htm?gclid=CLDz9tnul6MCFQxBlAod4HjVrg

That might be why none of the Bricoleurre demos I have seen in Nantes have been making anything looking like an existing lure like the Xlayer, just generic shads and sandeel shaped lures, etc.

I wonder if those guys do make them at home though ;-) LOL

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
a copy of a copyrighted lure is an infringment of the law, in addition to selling them (which I thought was the substantive test).
I would have assumed that it was/is.
The part about home pouring that attracts me is the problem/design/solution bit but I guess many people would copy existing lures too.
Selling them on though, 1 step too far but how many guys would do that ? Like illegally downloaded music and films, the end user rarely sells on.
It is still piracy though.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Well here you go Paul......How about a contest/challenge to design and make a lure specially for the Forum?? The finalists could be tested by our resident expert team and then market the winner / winners our selves??

Or is that going too far.......Nice thought though.......:wink:

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear that ideas for a few new designs have been banded around already and a few existing designs have already been customised to incorporate things that you might like to see but don't find in current SPs/lures.

Sounds like a winter project!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I thought this would come up soon, hence why I am looking to make my own clay design to make a master mould.

Not something I want to get into the issues of, The question is though, what exactly about a lure is copyrighted?? ribs, a paddle tail, long stick bait? It would be dead easy to mould my own master in a "similar" shape to something existing, so is that an issue? What is a "copy"? Same plastic, scent, rattle, colours etc etc?? Just questions as I am going to sort out my own clay mould when I get back from my hols.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
I would have assumed that it was/is.
The part about home pouring that attracts me is the problem/design/solution bit but I guess many people would copy existing lures too.
Selling them on though, 1 step too far but how many guys would do that ? Like illegally downloaded music and films, the end user rarely sells on.
It is still piracy though.
Change your Avatar Quick Captain Pugwash ??? :lol:

·
Registered
297 Posts
I hear that ideas for a few new designs have been banded around already and a few existing designs have already been customised to incorporate things that you might like to see but don't find in current SPs/lures.

Sounds like a winter project!
Great thread Paul

As the person who started the ball rolling on the DIY SPs I feel I should chip in

In my original instruction sheet I do point out very early on: "Remember if you’re going
to sell baits, copying someone else’s design for profit breaches copyright laws.
I neither advocate nor encourage this."

For the record I do use copies I have made of x-layers and other lures (including some of my own design - watch this space for my own design lrf style SP)

I also still buy and use genuine megabass x-layers - there are some things they do that I (and other home hobbyist makers) just cannot replicate

There was a lot of discussion in the US forums over the last 10 or so years about "fair use"
its generally been held that if you are making the molds for your own use and don't sell the lures its acceptable - most people will not make their own SPs for a variety of reasons - start up cost - time, space non-understanding partner etc - which of course means the DIY crowd is limited

My understanding is that less than 2% of fisherman will make their own lures
and of that 2% more than half do it a few times and stop

perhaps thats because there hasn't been the information available?

also as Andy states: how do you copyright a rib or a paddle tail
or in the case of a x-layer the 7 main components:

1) tapered triangular cross section - other lures have them
2) rattle - other lures have them
3) salt layer - other lures have them
4) waist - slug-gos have them ... (had them first in fact)
5) ribs - other lures have them
6) aniseed scent - uh ... obvious
7) colours - nothing than other lures might not have already

an argument could be made that its the sum of the parts
and this is a fair point

but to bring a level of moderation to this:
is yuki ito going to be more worried about 5 or 6 guys in the uk/ireland making a dozen lures a year each for their own uses (especially if they continue to buy, use and promote his products)
or a factory in china which will bang them out by the hundreds of thousands (often at an inferior quality level) and take away his profits and denigrate the reputation he has built? - it has already started
(the china cheap copies anyway)

its called cabbage in the fashion trade

my own view - and shoot me down if you want - is that my couple of lures and my know how isn't going to upset the japenese lure companies profits or their lawyers
I'm not advertisng that I'm selling lures in competition nor am I trying to say stop buying Megabass - quite the opposite! Ask my wife about my bottom drawer :lol:

In short copying/cloning is niche
I had a need for a fluoro pink x-layer (need? WANT!)
Megabass don't make them (and never will) but I knocked up a dozen - which is a lifetime supply for me

copying/cloning is a good place to START - but we should all be pushing our boundaries into original designs whether for our own use (and that of a few friends i.e. everyone here on Lureforum) or whether we take another step further and go into production

I know that if I like my new design LRF tail
I'll be offering it here as public domain for anyone who wants to use it

Nick

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Great thread Nick, the "sum of all parts" is what I was trying to get at.

I do however look forward to creating my own design out of modelling clay and going from there!!

Be interested to see your take on LRF though!!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Great thread Nick, the "sum of all parts" is what I was trying to get at.

I do however look forward to creating my own design out of modelling clay and going from there!!

Be interested to see your take on LRF though!!
well as I said its no secret!
heres the initial design (the cone at the front is the pouring sproe and will be cut off after cooling)

design ideas:
jelly belly! where the hook/jig head goes
round design - no "right way up"
tapered tail - good for shaky and OTD
waist - for increased action
knot tail - for increased action

this could be poured in plenty of different ways with a simple top pour:

different coloured knot
different colured tail
different coloured belly
core shot
floating knot
floating tail
floating belly
weighted (salted) knot
weighted tail
weighted belly

combinations of the above!
theres 3 sections - knot, tail, belly
so you could do 4 combos in each - weighted or floating or std, salted or not, scented or not
then theres colours ...
literally thousands of combos :lol:

nick

Attachments

·
Registered
297 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts