The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the sea is SLOWLY warming, crabs are peeling. And somewhere out there, are the first bass of the year. Now all those shiney bits of plastic that we have hoarded over the winter might be calling for attention. But what are your early season favourates. Trendy or traditional, high tech or stone age. What will you be reaching for over the next few weeks to help you slide that first bass of the season on to the beach???

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Something slow and something deep, one up shad or gancraft shape perhaps.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike,
I can totally see that bagging up this time of year. I really must put more time in with the softies this year. I just don't have the "touch" yet with them. My loss I know, hopefully get plenty of practice this year.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Dave, im far from experienced with the Softies. Just a lot more comfortable in their use and potential.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
My first bass will almost certainly be on a shallow diver. Feed Shallow? Probably....

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Tide Minnow. First bass of 2009 (23//1)

Or - Spindleworm. First boat bass last year (off ****'s boat 19/4) .

·
Registered
623 Posts
Well was out earlier today in 3 different locations nothing taking but saw gannets divebombing just 200yds out. Joey mackrell I guess? I used my new Z-claw, yellow white patchinko, Feed shallow, TD minnow and saltiga minnow(laser sardine). What more could a bass ask for?
Gonna hit the local estuary tomorrow and bump an xlayer along the bottom on the pushing tide from low. Will probably follow this format until something takes. Im on ten bass so far this year but none on hard or soft plastics yet.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
out again in the morning at first light off the shore this weekend the whole lot will be going out especially the softies a few big fish were landed in Ireland last year around this time so hopefully tomorrows the day for the first lure caught bass of the year, xlayers,gt shads,rolling shads and one up shads will be the order of the day.....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Lovely selection there Barry (hell of a nice set of Jig Heads too) :D
Thanks Simon its all a steep learning curve that continues from last year so many softies to try and sort out the good from the bad there are a good few more that i still want to get hold of and try this year including Xorus sayori shads and a few other colours in the rolling shad, some of the bigger size slugos the two lads bought a few packs to experiment last month so we will see how they go and i also want to get my hands of the mother worm another top lure from last year...

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Is that a 'Red Xlayer' in the top left of your picture Barry ?
Yes its the red and black colour in the giant size again just a colour i decided to try for pollock off the boat and for a few bass when the light is fading off the sky in the summer months...
works a treat for the pollock i hope ist even half as good for the bass...

·
Registered
149 Posts
early season choices

early season choice for me will be one up shads in soft plastics and
maria chase or zonk gateride in hard plastics,i will also fish the shit
out of crystle minnows as they were dynamite last year especially
in the blue mackeral colour...west cork bass love them...
west cork bass nut

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I had a go with bait yesterday and not a touch, even with perfect velvet peelers. And while fishing get the text that one of the boys had a double (10-2), I think Friday night it must have been.

Not even a touch for me this weekend, lures or bait. got to be soon... Getting desperate.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts