The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is pouring down here in Dublin for the past 3 hours and it is due to rain all through the night.
Besides the rain there is little wind and it is very humid.

The Question: Should I go fishing tomorrow and what effect could the rain have on fishing conditions if any?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Only real affect it'd have here Colm is to muddy up the river water - which in turn will colour the estuary. I don't personally think it will make much difference to the fishing in open coastal areas, but it could totally change an estuarine environment. Increased freshwater quantities and a reduction in visibility wouldn't generally bode well. It can sometimes take a couple of days to take full effect though as more and more freshwater reaches the estuary through the river(s).

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Loads of freshwater going in our gutters pushes Bass away ime.
Mullet love it though.

Hard rain whilst fishing ? Jury is out. In deep water I've had good results and in very shallow water too at times.
Not always though.

Do they use the cover of the rain hammering the water.
Underwater it's pretty damn loud I can tell you.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies lads, I went out this morning and although the rain had stopped and the conditions were good, visibility, wind in favourable direction etc, there was no movement on the water at all and no interest in the lures. It may not have been anything to do with the rainfall but it was unusually quiet for this particular spot.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
certainly from years of bassing with bait in an estuary heavy rain is bad news,once the fresh rainwater coming off the hills/mountains hits the sea(which can take many hours) the increased acidity kills the bassing, it sends the bass way out ,other fish don't seem to be affected so much. But if its only recently started raining i dont usually find its a problem.

·
Registered
129 Posts
This is something I have been thinking about alot in the last few weeks actually when I was out fishing surface lures in pretty shallow ground in open sea. I just do not have the same confidence fishing topwater(or just below for that matter) when its lashing rain. Its really bugging me thinking about it when out in the rain which is alot here in the so called "sunny south east"

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
In calm seas it could make sense that topwater action may be decreased during heavy rain. With freshwater sitting on top of salt, if there is little movement to really mix the two together to dilute any influence the freshwater may have, in theory it is likely that the water slightly lower down will be more stable in salinity. In rougher seas however, on open coast I can't see a few mm of rain maiking much of an impact in 6'+ of swirling saltwater while they're being continuously mixed and stirred.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Sometimes after a spell of rain a few of the north east beaches (Druridge Bay for example) have a couple of small streams that drain into them, sometimes the schoolies sit off them waiting for food washing down the stream into the sea. The flounder seem to like these areas too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts