The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hadn't been fishing for a month - what with getting married a couple of weeks ago and the general day to day chaos that seems to be surrounding me at the moment.

So I was more than happy to steal away for a couple of hours over high tide today. A spring tide with a nice bit of SW , the water still clear and the weed just about acceptable meant that I was feeling confident of a schoolie or two even on an open beach in the middle of the day.

The sasuke in orange is made for these conditions I feel. Casts well into the breeze - holds very nicely in the swell and stands out a mile in the turbulent and foamy sea. Might not be a natural colour but was the only lure I used today that the bass were interested in.

I'm sure that we have all got areas of beach that we can't wait to get to as we work our way along the shingle (or sand,reef,prom etc). Previous experiences highlight that for one reason or another there seem to be areas that you are more likely to get a hit than others. Sometimes these hotspots are easy to pick out as there is some obvious feature that should provide an ambush point etc..other times there it is not quite so obvious why it's hotter but it is....I had been walking along having a few chucks every 20 yards or so when I got to one of the "hot spots" on this beach.

1st cast resulted in a schoolie grabbing the lure as I held it in the back wash for a couple of seconds. 2nd cast picked up weed...3rd cast another schoolie and it continued like this for perhaps 15 minutes or so. All the fish were about 3/4 lb - 1 1/4lb so I forced my self to move along the beach after a few casts without a fish , hoping I might find a bigger one. I passed a 15 - 20 yard area with more colour and weed so just after this where the water cleared I cast again. Two turns of the reel handle and I was in again. This was a better fish and took line against the pretty light drag. I find that I loose far less fish if the drag is kept pretty loose as the hooks don't seem to tear out so easily (still need to keep the rod bent of course). I think this is particularly the case with smaller hooks. Of course the fish decided to work it's way into the weed that I had just passed but no real drama and I managed to "surf" it in on a good wave. Not enormous but probably just under 4lb so in the top 3 of this ( a poor) years fish for me. Thought I would find more in the clear channel but was mistaken so carried on along the beach.

Most of the fish I catch are taken off the surface. I guess this is because I just love seeing them take the lure so much that it is my primary approach whenever possible. The visual aspect is such a draw for me that I love to fish from a vantage point where I can see what is happening. It adds so much to the buzz if I can see the fish before it actually takes the lure. I managed to find such a position now about 10 feet above the water.

The orange lure stood out as it made its way back to me about 10 inches under the surface. this was just as good as a surface lure on a clam day as I could see the schoolies jockying for position as they chased and every so often took the sasuke - great fun. Especially when the odd bigger one got in on the act and appeared from underneath to snatch the plug. I ended up into double figures with one slightly larger fish nudging 3lb.

A really enjoyable session and hopefully we will find that the numbers of fish inshore in Sussex continues throughout the autumn and that the weather gods are kind enough to allow us the conditions to enjoy them.

One of the better ones:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Ralph that is one hell of a session - wow! What I wouldn't give for a session like that this weekend. Very nicely written report too - thanks.

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Yep excellent session and a nice report Ralph ... a fish is a fish regardless of size, and always very welcome!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Sounds a great session mate, amazing seeing more than one fish after the lure.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
That's one hectic session - nice photo too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts