The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
What is the best way to work the popkey ?? do they cast well , and whats the best conditions to use this lure ?
Just come back from a week on the water and armed with the Popkey which worked very very well.
I used a normal WTD type retrieve and found the plug brilliant for getting hits,lost count of the ammount of Launce that were attacking this plug and Pollack.
The amount of hits from fish was alarming and they didnt seem to want much else.
As far as Bassing goes they were hitting it well too,BUT never before have I pulled out of so many fish.
I dont know why this should be but I lost many many fish that I know I wouldn't have lost on other plugs etc,the Popkey for me last week was terrific at getting action but I think I may have to modify the hooks etc to try and keep fish on.
Also used the Ghost Claw (z-claw) lots again and am liking it even more especially when worked 'tight' and slow.
I foung my Popkey difficult to get sub surface but it didn't stop the fish from hitting it etc,casts well ish but is very light etc.
The one I invested in is the green coloured one with the silver strip in the middle,cant remember the official colour.
The fish (bass,big launce and small pollack) simply launched themselves at the Popkey and you could see lots of fish following the plug (tracking) from below.
I did hook one fish that was much bigger than the others (bass) and was actually a very very good fish but that came off close in,I didnt react very well to this (fury) and couldnt work out why they keep rolling off etc.
To sum up I think the Popkey is a brilliant fish taker and not just for Bass,,,,,but for me needs some work with the hooks ?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Used one for the first time earlier this week and had a lot of fun with it. Personally i find it works best for me when fished against a strong current when needing it to get just under the surface. It's feels really light yet darts under very well with a slow retrieve and a gentle jerk now and then.

popkey2.jpg popkey1.jpg

Attachments

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
Used one for the first time earlier this week and had a lot of fun with it. Personally i find it works best for me when fished against a strong current when needing it to get just under the surface. It's feels really light yet darts under very well with a slow retrieve and a gentle jerk now and then.

View attachment 1809 View attachment 1810
I really struggled to get mine to dart under the surface...................

·
Registered
932 Posts
Whoever was working that lure sure does so very aggressively, hard and fast.

For those new to lure fishing on this site, I personally wouldn't advise working your lures that fast unless you like catching schoolies. Or nothing. I could be wrong, but that's not how I would fish a surface lure. Unless I was at the ar5e end of a blanked session and had the right hump!

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I dont retrieve any of my surface lures like that in the video,,,,,,,,,,,Way too fast for me.
I think its the third method with the popkey diving under that I was trying to do but I couldnt do it.
Maybee a split shot (or other weight) would make this easier...................

1 - 9 of 9 Posts