The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
To be honest have been the hardest of 2010.

I've caught fish but, I've also suffered blanks (unknown earlier this season).

Now the big question is WHY ?

Fishing and diving some fantastic marks and suffering no takes is confusing but, as the weekend showed me, I dived a cracker and saw nothing but clouds, and I mean clouds of sandeel.

We had a 3 day blow about 12 days ago and since that stirred things up, fish have been very iffy.

However:

I returned to a spot I'd dived on Sunday for a dark night assault on Monday night. The tide was very similar, wind was virtually the same.

9 Bass between 3lb and 7lb.
Crazy ? Where are these fish holding on the low ?

I know some VERY experienced guys were out on the rim (the area I call the rim is the very outer kelp edge of the SE coastline where the drying heads come to an end within swim range, about 2.5 miles out in places). These guys, like me searched the outer rim in deep kelp for Bass that should have been there, are there in the night (although only in fast and shallow water it seems right now) and they failed.

Visibility isn't at it's best right now. It looks clear but 4 meters of vis on a fresh push of tide would be good. The tides, though of relatively good size, aren't moving the volumes of water off the flats like usual due to the THICK weed.

Hopefully, things will sort themselves out. We suffer these 'Dog Days' every year but, usually, they'd be coming to an end right about mid August. The fact it's just started is worrying. I personally think we have a good 3 months of potentially great Bassing left in 2010 but when it will re-ignite is a question I can't give an honest answer too right now.

Loads of small fish around though under that 40cm cut off. In dense shoals and raiding the flats 1.5 hours up the flood in many locations around the Island.

The big stuff is staying well clear until much later, maybe 2:15 up in many places but, strangely, they are also dropping back on Ebbs much fast than in previous years even under cover of darkness.

Those that have kept fish that I know have been asked to report what they've been eating. Again, the conundrum throws a curve ball. Not one guy reported any sandeels in the fish taken West or SE ??

Crab yes, fish no.
Something is going on isn't it. Oxygen levels, PH maybe, Plankton bloom, weed spawn ? I do know, the fire in the water is THICK. We skished a mark last night, and we were lit up like Christmas trees whilst either finning or turning the reels. It was like a meteor shower underwater. Sadly, and strangely, no fish on a mark last fished, me and the Wabbit had over 20 Bass ?

So, not a happy Bass update but an intriguing one. Time for a species swap until the Autumn run I think. Thin Lips, Scad, Wrasse etc...

I know one reliable source who reported a nice little spot is throwing gilt head bream in shallow water to mullet anglers. That might be worth a shot on the lures...

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
very interesting comments I agree this year has been very strange, huge numbers of sandeels about.I will await your conclusions Keith and any ideas on the night trip from my boat Keith. PM me if you have

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Have to say Keith, my last few trips out have shown a light show in the shallows and rock edges. Much more than normal as well. Little phospho whatever they are seem to be everywhere. Didn't notice them so much last year?? Bass fishing here has taken a nose dive in the last couple weeks. Odd.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Keith interesting info as always...just in reference to your comment on 3 months of bass fishing left i was just wondering how long do folks on here keep lure fishing until december? January???

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
surely this is just fishing? Good days, bad days? It would be called catching otherwise... right? You fish, you catch, you fish, you blank! I've been getting fish on bait the last week and I kept one and it was full of sandeel...... weird. 10 days of blanking isn't unusual to most of us..... is it? Great theory behind blanking though

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hope its not to do with the NW wind,theres still at least another week of that on the way.

Thanks for the update Keith.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
surely this is just fishing? Good days, bad days? It would be called catching otherwise... right? You fish, you catch, you fish, you blank! I've been getting fish on bait the last week and I kept one and it was full of sandeel...... weird. 10 days of blanking isn't unusual to most of us..... is it? Great theory behind blanking though
I never said I had 10 days of blanking and, understanding why I fail is what separates anglers that can, and ones that can't consistently catch fish.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keith interesting info as always...just in reference to your comment on 3 months of bass fishing left i was just wondering how long do folks on here keep lure fishing until december? January???
Late August --> mid November is usually the best of the whole year.
Normally we'll fish for Bass right through till water drops below 10 deg.

Even then, IF you put the time in, you can go right through.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
We were catching pretty well in to January down in Cornwall this winter. Like Keith says though, depends a bit on where you are and the water temperature. 10 degrees is a rough minimum guide, but it is possible to catch when it's slightly colder.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Late August --> mid November is usually the best of the whole year.
Normally we'll fish for Bass right through till water drops below 10 deg.

Even then, IF you put the time in, you can go right through.

Wow i usually put the lure gear away around october until the following may april......not this year thanks to this site and its many amazing contributors, thanks keith :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts