The Lure Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Managed a couple hours out last night, this time armed with some bits I picked up at Bens' shop - A Mebaru pocket in pack and some Spro 28mm Pearl shads.

I fished a 10 meter stretch of Harbour wall, managing 3 fish - 2x Pouting and a Pollock. The interesting thing is that they all took the lures in different ways. The first Pouting was taken a 1.5'' Grass Minnow on a swung drop, parrallel to the wall - maybe holding a foot off the wall. The take was pretty positive. After that, interest wained and it was time to switch tactics.

On with a 2" pink Power Shirasu, no interest at all. Change over to the same lure in pearl colour, no interest on the drop - let it settle on the bottom, shakey shakey and deadstick = fish on. Very aggressive take, shot off like a Wrasse, Pouting number 2 on the deck. Thinking that this may be the key now, I stick with the shakey style, couple nibbles but no more takes. I bring the lure up slowly until possibly 2 meters deep, and all the way I'm getting bights that I just can't connect with - as the lure comes in to sight, I can see that there are 2 Pollock flanking the lure, but clearly never taking a bight. Interesting. Now I know that not every bight I'm feeling, is actually a bight. Swap around lures a little, get exactly the same reaction from the fish, no bight, just flank.

Last lure to try is a Spro Trout Shad, which comes in at 28mm - pretty minute. I see some decent mullet cruising past, manage to sight fish to them a little. No interest whatsoever, even put it past ones mouth and it either didn't see it, or just didn't care. Will try again for those guys though for sure!

Slight change of tactics, I'm able to cast just short of the boats moored opposite. Try out a 'swung' drop for a bit, no interest. Then I recall some stuff about 'feeding the fall' and getting the lure to drop horizontally. I get a couple of positive plucks at the lure now, nothing that I'm able to connect with though. So I follow the same pattern, feed the drop - but now I start a dead slow retreive(KVD??) and within 5 turns of the handle, solid hit and fish on. Nice powerful fight on the CarboStar, beaming smile and Pollock on the deck.

So as you can see, I kind of had to keep adapting to induce the takes - But this is what I'm loving about LRF - True adapt and overcome stuff.

All lures were on 1.8g Shirasu heads, I'll certainly be going lighter and experimenting more as my collection grows and I'll be sharing any findings on here along the way.

(Sorry about photo sizes, can't log in to photobucket to edit size, will sort later)

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Interesting reading. Will have to try and hook up for a Plymouth session soon, I am back in Devon Mon - Thurs next week. I went out for a dawn session, same place as yesterday, but nothing. as good practicing techniques in the light, actually being able to see what the small lure was doing under different actions.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah will have to meet up mate. Where I was fishing was only 3ft above the water, isn't tidal (they have a loche) and is well lit - so it's great for seeing what is actually happening and how the fish are reacting to the lure.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Matt,
Patterns are begining to appear, I have picked up Pout in exactly the same way you did, shaking and dead sticking the bait on the bottom. Also a slow lift of 6-8" sometimes converts those bites on the bottom into solid hook ups.
The swung drop close to the harbour wall, is also what got me that sea scorpion, and the dead slow retrieve is what I caught my first LRF fish using, cast out then letting it sink to the bottom and then a very slow retrieve.
Try the little paddle tails close (inches away) to the bottom of the harbor wall, with a slow 6-8" lift and drop, that seeed to be what the gobies wanted.
Loving the pics-must get a camera, rather than being lazy and using my phone.
Well done Matt.

Reactions: Matt Newcombe

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Superb report there mate, if your fishing where i think you are them walk along to the left hand side and down onto the pontoons and fish in very tight or even behind them. I was messing around there one night and the mini species were everywhere feeding on small shrimp in the weed.
Same happens on the far right and opposite the old angling centre in under the moorings.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one mate! Doesn't take long for those patterns to start showing. The good thing about the LRF stuff is that you generally have a few fish in front of you willing to have a go. As a result your learning curve is much steeper than when you're after bass.

....it turns out bass can actually be pretty similar though, so getting your head around the small stuff can play a big part by the time you get back to bass fishing in the spring.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
....it turns out bass can actually be pretty similar though, so getting your head around the small stuff can play a big part by the time you get back to bass fishing in the spring.
Very true Ben, its all relative and only improves your fishing with bigger softies in the summer.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dave, Ben - it's those patterns that are important to the whole LRF thing in my mind. I feel that this is what we need to be sharing, this essentially, is what is going to be catching us(and others) fish in the future. Once we've all posted our findings, we'll never go out and and be stumped when we're not catching, there will always be a back up plan - something else to try.[

One of the main reasons I'm doing this - asides having something to keep me sane this winter - Is to tune my senses(so to speak) for my Bass fishing next year.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Nice one Matt!
Really good report,I should be alot more specific about the techniques i use when writing LRF reports.
Its also very true that all the techniques apply when scaling up for bigger fish, so as well as being great fun it's also honing those skills!
Also agree that on many of the harbours I fish that against the wall to about 1mt out are hotspots for alot of fish.
Nice to see you using the "pocket in" sets, I mess about with them but if its slow i am straight back to the old isomes!
Good stuff mate and like I said Its inspired me to be more specific about reporting.
Tight Lines
Jake.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
its casting and feeling the lure down then let it sit there mate doing nothing for an ammount of time up to 2 minutes on occassion and then move when there is no motion it is dead sticked. Though in reality it will be moving in the available current under the water but no action imparted by angler :)

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
What's dead sticking? Sorry for being a tad thick, but am trying to get as many tips as I can on lrf, its all new to me.
Hi Lee, dead sticking is simply letting the lure rest on the sea bed.
However, there are a multitude of techniques that go along with it.
When I dead stick I tend to cast out and feel the lure down ( trying to get the "on the drop" bites).
Once the lure reaches the sea bed I like to let it rest for 10 seconds or so while gently shaking the rod tip.
Then I will lift the lure up and let it settle again somtimes with a shake sometimes not!
I then tend to hop it back towards me or try a continuous slow retreive whilst constantly shaking the rod tip alowing the lure to writhe slowly along the bottom.
Everyone has their own methods though but its fun just messing about with the lure!
There will be folk who can explain better than I but thats my take on it.
Hope this helps
Jake.

Reactions: Lee Goddard
1 - 15 of 15 Posts