The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Or - Last Chance Saloon...

So, this weekend being the last before Bosherston closes for 3 months, the usual suspects (Steve & Adam, Simon & Luke, Iestyn, Me & George) were back in deepest West Wales for an early start this morning. The weather looked favourable, hopes were high and we were determined to get the juniors hooked up. Steve & Adam arrived a little later so I didn't see them until after lunch, but the rest of us started as usual at the Bridge where Simon had enjoyed enormous success two weeks ago. We gave it half an hour there, but although George moved a micro pike in the reeds with a weedless soft lure, there was little action so we decided to split up. George & I headed up the main lake fishing as we went with little to report. At one woodland peg a fish followed my lure to the bank three casts in succession but no take. Then the next peg showed aggressive pike tearing through a shoal of bait fish (perch?) repeatedly but we just couldn't get a hook up. After half an hour of effort and different lures we moved on admitting defeat despite repeatedly seeing & hearing big fish breach the surface. Further up we saw a massive (20lb+ estimate) fish cruise through the shallows. With heart in mouth I cast in front of this huge fish, and got the fish to turn on my lure and create a big swirl. I nearly wet my pants, but she declined the offering and moved serenely on.
Anyhow, we went back to where the fish had been ambushing bait and I banked a lively pike on a sinking Crystal Minnow.

We worked back to the far side of the lake with no further action although we heard Iestyn had banked a good fish.
Once on the far side, I moved a really good fish on the first cast at a fresh peg. Despite a pluck at the lure I missed it. Next cast I saw her rise up from the depths and gently inhale the same Crystal Minnow that had caught earlier. A disappointingly short fight saw me bank my best pike around 10lbs.

We caught up with the lads and shortly after whilst chatting with Steve & Adam, I landed another lively pike around 5lbs and had a smaller jack pike soon after at the same peg - again, same lure.

George was getting restless by now so I gave him the lucky lure. Further up I moved a jackpike 3 casts on the trot, and invited George to have a go. First cast with the lucky lure and fish on and one happy young man.

We fished on with the others where I droppped one last fish 3/4 of the way in - to the delight (and relief?) of the rest of the party. Good news all around in that the lads had all banked a fish. Another good long day with the fish hard to win but enough action to satisfy everyone.

This was the lure that banked all our fish and moved several more today - a sinking Yo Zuri Crystal Minnow in a gold/green pattern.

Next stop - BASS!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Tim, great to see the magnificent seven out and about, I’ve been out of the country a fair bit over the past few weeks (unfortunately work has to come first at the moment) so playing catch up on your exploits. Its good to see you guys holding some fish again and looks like the dad’s have the edge where Pike are concerned, enjoy while it lasts. Great report and pics as usual, hope to catch up soon.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tim, great to see the magnificent seven out and about, I’ve been out of the country a fair bit over the past few weeks (unfortunately work has to come first at the moment) so playing catch up on your exploits. Its good to see you guys holding some fish again and looks like the dad’s have the edge where Pike are concerned, enjoy while it lasts. Great report and pics as usual, hope to catch up soon.
Thanks, John. Hopefully you can join us soon for some bass raids down south? Be good to have you out with us again - we have had a blast on the pike and can't wait to get stuck in to the bass! We'll keep you posted on trips. Have you managed to arrange availability for the Bumble next month??

·
Registered
773 Posts
Thanks, John. Hopefully you can join us soon for some bass raids down south? Be good to have you out with us again - we have had a blast on the pike and can't wait to get stuck in to the bass! We'll keep you posted on trips. Have you managed to arrange availability for the Bumble next month??

Tim, not sure if I’m going to make the Saturday depends how much sleep I get on the flight home. Sunday is looking possible though, fingers crossed and hoping no one arranges any customer visits after the conference. I think Jack is going to try and head up from Weymouth as well so if there is anyone on the South coast that needs a lift we may be able to sort something out.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Tim, sounds like you and George are having some great sessions together..fair play. Those jacks look like missles, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Yeah boys keep up the good work, but I guess you'll need to find some open waters between now and June. So pleased for George too :)

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well Guys,

Another cracking day out at Bosherston, Adam and I arrived at 10:30 a little after you lot and headed to Si's bridge and started fishing, after an hour we decided to move on as nothing was happening, we moved over to the bank where you guys were fishing. Not long after, I was into my first fish, not caught but a good take just under the surface, some nice teeth marks on the lure but no hook up, that was about as good as it got for me, quiet for the rest of the day ! After catching up with Simon he told me Iestyn had had 2 nice fish, we found him and had a chat, he told us he had moved a few fish in the spot he was in so Adam and I moved on a bit and picked our 2 pegs to fish from, 2 mins had passed and Adam cried " Dad I got a fish on" I rushed over to film on video the fight and then landed his first Pike !

Quite a few firsts were completed for him today,

First Pike
First on his rod
First on his new reel
First on braid
and, First on a lure !

Thanks for a cracking day out again lads, shame the Pike season has now finished, but it will be soon be time for the Bass ! Bring it on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quite a few firsts were completed for him today,

First Pike
First on his rod
First on his new reel
First on braid
and, First on a lure !

Thanks for a cracking day out again lads, shame the Pike season has now finished, but it will be soon be time for the Bass ! Bring it on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well done, Adam - lovely looking fish. Hard luck on not banking one today, Steve. With all your new knowledge you'll be a force to be reckoned with on the bass later this year...

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Still waters round here are open all the way through so we have some Piking left this Spring. Good job. I live too far from the sea.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well guys it was quite a last minute ordeal for me as to whether I would be able to make this and needless to say Im probably going to hell for wangling a pass from the fpo!!! Even Si had a restless night until 3am when he picked up my text confirming I`d meet him and Luke at Macdonalds for breakfast!!!! Warp factor 6 this morning so Tim and George arrived first at the car park. First port of call was "Si`s Bridge" but nothing to show for our efforts after 30 minutes saw us heading off to pastures new. Tim and George headed up the main lake. Si, Luke and myself headed to the bottom end. I was fortunate enough to hit a Double figure fish from the area last weekend and was hoping the spot would produce again this week!! Lure selection this week was 3.5grm and 5grm weighted hooks and sp`s fished weedless along with some slow sinkining suspending hard baits. After half a dozen casts I connected with a good fish that fought fantastically well with tailwalking and headshaking and flaring its gills at every opportunity!!! All was expertly captured by our resident filmaker Luke (and will be posted by Si in his report). Not alot happened after this a few follows and 2 hits on the weedless sp before I connected with another double that again fought like a demon!! Luke was on hand to capture the action again! Missed a couple of fish that I should have nailed in "Iestyn`s Bay of Plenty" moved a couple more and that was pretty much my day!!! Tim got amongst the fish again as did George (well done guys) Adam and Luke banked their first pike which was truly awesome for them (big congratulations) And I think Si was decorating the trees again! lol. Steve was unlucky not to connect despite getting his lure smashed by pike. Only have a couple of pics on my camera so looking forwad to Si`s report with addittional pics and video footage. Another fantastic day guys looking forwad to the next bumble!!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Cracking report Iestyn and good fish to boot, I see every one elses name was mentioned in your report bar for mine, any issues with me ?

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Cracking reports so far guys :clap:.

The McDonalds breakfasts & coffee's are now a Saturday morning routine, and the mornings are becoming increasingly lighter, which is a very welcome sight.

Well for 'Team Ebbw' it was a tough day. We thrashed the water to foam (& a few trees also), but we only had one fish to show for our efforts. Luke moved probably the biggest fish we've seen to date :shock:. On the first cast at an elevated peg, a 'proper' Salt-Water Croc came up to within sniffing distance of his plug. Iestyn, Luke & myself all looked down in disbelief as this monster had a good close look, before turning away. I'd say that it was probably as big as Luke, so if he'd hooked it, it would have been a genuine 50:50 battle (although my money would still have been on Luke ;-) ).

As for Iestyn's fish. Luke took the following video of the first fish . . . . .

We weighed it on the Boga, and it came in at a gnats-nadger under 12lb . . .

. . . and it had smashed Iestyn's lure . . . .

A little while later, and Iestyn shouted 'FISH' to me further along the lake. I must admit that i had to pick my knees-up & do a 100yd dash to get there to take some video footage (you can hear me panting in the background !!). Unfortunatley, i got there just at the end of an impressive tail-walk, and just caught the landing . . . . .

. . . it was another stonker for Iestyn . . .

It was looking like a blankety-blank cheque-book and pen for Luke & I by this stage. But the only pattern emerging from the day was that 'green' coloured lures were chalking-up scores, so i switched to a DTM 90s (very much a Bass lure), and with the Injection pumping it across the lake, Luke landed a Jack . . .

. . not a monster, but they all count, and Luke was delighted (in fairness, he fished his little socks off today) . . . .

So that was about that. Some superb angling all-round, with particularly good days for Tim & Iestyn, and all 3 lads banking fish. Well done to the Junior Team :clap::clap::clap::clap:.

A very big thank-you to Iestyn for devoting a chunk of the day to teaching Luke some casting & retrieving techniques - you are a star !!!

We spent half of the day wetting ourselves laughing as usual, and laughed most of the way home at the days events. Excellent company yet again - just bodes so well for the season ahead !! Thanks for the company yet again gents :horsesword:.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Well done Iestyn, they look like great fun to fish for,, I can see the dark side coming closer day by day, have you tried them on the fly yet???

and well done young basswalker, your turning out to be a handy little cameraman too...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice video and super pics, lads. Are you sure your Boga is reading right, Si? That fish looks bigger than 12lbs to me! Good work again Iestyn - showing us the way with two cracking fat fish there. Interesting how the green/striped plugs did the business yesterday...

·
Registered
324 Posts
great report and some nice pics. wonder how much to fedex a couple of those crocs over here? lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts