The Lure Forums banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
A massive thank you to Nigel for putting the bumble together and also to Nick, Kevin and Phil for showing us around too.

Great to catch up with the islanders and all the bumblers. Some great fishing, belting craic and the island really is a beautiful place!

Some interesting conditions - especially last night and a fantastic haul of bass over the three days!

Personally I managed a pb shore callig of just over 9lbs, 24 bass upto 5/6lbs and some wrasse, coalfish and a mackerel.

Can't wait to visit again!

wow ..well done on catching almost a quarter of the the bumbles total single handedly ..................top dangling !!!................

they should be paying your travel costs next year....:muttley:

·
Banned
1,732 Posts
With the weather looking a tad dodgy for the later part of the weekend, it was a case of making the most of the start of the bumble, but by the time of the Yorkshires finest pie lunch, courtesy of Andy Scott, I was a blanker while all around they were off the mark fishing a very lumpy and rolling sea with SP's. First back to it and I eventually claim my first using a SGS. Then I notice that the white caps and rollers had subsided enough to try a surface lure. Out comes the Patch which I fished at a frenzied pace with maximum splashing rather than a subtle walk. This seemed to work a treat as I get my first off the top with a fish in the 50cm bracket, then another which I thought was an equaling PB of 63cm, but on closer examination I do believe is a new PB for me at 64cm (I'll let Martin decide, as it's an improver for my team).

These two followed with 2 more on the Gunfish 115 and one on the Vulture, while Iain Mortimer has got the measure of them with the Patchinko skimming over the top at a fast pace and one on the Frosty.

The fishing was that good that we decided to stay out and fish through into the night when all Bass wanted was the Sunslicker Mishna Eel. It was a memorable start to the weekend with 51 Bass brought to the shore.

Day 2 and our cottage residents of Kev Pugh, Chad and Steve Wicks do a spot of rock hoping after the Coalies, Wrasse and Calig. We found it a bit quiet on the fish front but Iain managed a solitary Wrasse, but there were plenty of little Coalies and Calig chasing the small jigged metals.

Then it was back out for the Bass and myself and Iain tried a different mark with Kevin Walmsley and Phil Holt. It's a mark where wading is essential but where I had some good results last year with top waters. This year it wasn't as flat and after a while of trying on the top I opted to try a white Senko lookalike that I've had for a while and never tried, in the form of a River 2 Sea that comes with a rattle. First cast and it gets slammed by a good fish, but my Exage decides to fail on me, resulting in a parted line and a Bass gliding past the legs of Iain and Kev. I aint happy, plus my waders are leaking and I've taken a couple of waves over the top so I was glad when it was decided to head back to the on form mark and meet with the others where I had another one with my dodgy reel just about hanging in there.
Day 3 and it's wet and very windy, so we decide to have a social lunch at the boozer, plus Faircloughs Tackle Emporium offers a solution to my reel problem and I'm now the proud owner of a Shimano Twin Power.

We then head to the Sunslicker mobile lure shop and stock up on some quality lures that the Bass are loving during the weekend. Back to base and I spool up the new reel ready for the last night of fishing at which stage the Bass tally is at 94. We get to 99 fishing a dirty weedy heavy sea and I've christened the reel, then the storm rolls in with torrential rain and lightning, so it's back to the cars for our own safety. The storm does eventually push through and Nick Robson and Dave Callow show up and quite aptly the lure making master pulls out fish 100 on one of his Mishna eels. Fantastic.

We are home and sort of dry, but of course that's not the end as the tally increased to 108 I believe, with myself hitting double figures on ten for the weekend.
Of course none of this would have happened with the guidance of Phil Holt, Kevin Walmsley, Nick Robson and of course Nigel Fairclough. Also Andy Scott for supplying the best pies which gave us enough sustenance to get a 12 hour session in on the first day. Also good to see Brent back. Thank you guys very much. I'll be back for my fourth visit next year for sure, hopefully with all my digs oppo's who made it a brilliant laugh in our cottage. I've now got to send the owner of the cottage a creepy apologetic email, explaining why the duvet and duvet cover has Steve's blood on it after falling out of the double bed that he was sharing with Kev Pugh. Ha ha.
Here's some other photos of a memorable weekend.

Brent with one of many

Kevin with a goodun

Iain with a dusk Bass

Iain's in.

Chad with a nice one.

Steve spooling up in our quality accommodation.

·
Registered
380 Posts
That's a great idea Trevor!!!:lolsign:

Nigel / Nick - what do you reckon?? :lolsign::lolsign:
wow ..well done on catching almost a quarter of the the bumbles total single handedly ..................top dangling !!!................

they should be paying your travel costs next year....:muttley:

·
Registered
858 Posts
I would like to thank all my New and Old friends that made this bumble such a success, I cannot believe that of 108 bass caught not one of them had my name on.
But due to a curse put on Mr Pugh and myself by the fishing gods only one of us can catch at any one time.
I would definitely like to return again and reverse my fortunes as long as you don't mind blankers coming back.
Thanks again for a memorable weekend.

·
Banned
1,732 Posts
I would like to thank all my New and Old friends that made this bumble such a success, I cannot believe that of 108 bass caught not one of them had my name on.
But due to a curse put on Mr Pugh and myself by the fishing gods only one of us can catch at any one time.
I would definitely like to return again and reverse my fortunes as long as you don't mind blankers coming back.
Thanks again for a memorable weekend.
I blanked on the Bass on my first visit as did Iain. It can appear very easy when the fish are there, but your usual go to lures don't always work and you have to use techniques that you're not used to using on ground that you've no idea about with a lot of the productive fishing being in darkness. It ain't easy peazy lemon squeezy.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
858 Posts
Unfortunately it was for the shreddies guy that came to the island without a shred of tackle and kicked me out of me bed, life just ain't fair sometimes

61 - 74 of 74 Posts