The Lure Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have all had them, but last night mishap was so bloody painful! :-(
I have had a realy bad few weeks with not alot fish being caught, plus all been small fish:sad:

I deceided to go to my local estuary and give it a go, well as soon as i got there the water was realy dirty and that just put a negative attitude to the trip before i even dipped my rod in the water.

Its a fair walk to the point that i fish, but its the most productive mark of all the estuary.
I started with a orange feed shallow, thinking a bright colour was the way forward.
Nothing for half hour and changed my lures more times than i would care to admit, but nothing was helping.
I could see alot of fish jumping, but alot of them were sewin and salmon, there was a couple of bass too so that gave me a little hope.

Having a concentration problem, i tend to daydream.
I so happened to be in one when i was reeling in my small red gill attached with 30lb mono attached to a 15g jig, all of a sudden it felt like i was having my arm ripped off at the sockets!
I looked down and there was an enormous bow wave in the kelp just below my feet with my rod tip touching the water(well almost).
I could not see the fish, but the power of it was mind bending. Sadly the fight came to a halt as my red gill came flying through the air and almost giving me a new ear piercing :-x
I am sure this fish was bigger then the 4lb bass i caught back some weeks ago.

I think what makes it so bloody painful is not actualy seeing the fish, so i realy cant say what size it was, but my arm still bloody hurts ;-)

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Unlucky, its really heart wrenching sometimes...

I can never work out if its better to see the fish or not. I lost a giant a couple of years ago when bait fishing. If I hadn't seen it, I'd have sworn it was a Conger or something, but I did see it and it was the biggest Bass I have ever seen, which made it even harder when the hook fell out.

Gutted for you, but you were obviously doing something right so chin up. Was it your fault in any way? Did you have drag to tight etc?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mark, yeah my drag was tight and i was bullying it a little, but it happend so fast i just was noy thinking straight!
I still got alot to learn lol

·
Registered
779 Posts
Thanks Mark, yeah my drag was tight and i was bullying it a little, but it happend so fast i just was noy thinking straight!
I still got alot to learn lol
Dom - went down your way today on a recce - hell theres alot of broken red weed in the water (couple of places it was almost "muddy" with it) - started looking west facing then went into the Haven (just as bad) - went west again - even more of the same

head doing!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Hard luck, Dom. Happened to me the other night so I know how you feel. Screaming run, then nothing.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Im pretty sure i had a 10lb plusser last weekend on a storm shad on a surf beach its head came out of the water to showing off its white chin and flaring its huge blood red gills....then smack my shad came flying back to my fit and the fish hit the turbo and was gone.....worst thing was that beach was netted a day later so more than likely got my monster :(.
I feel your pain :( :(

·
Registered
231 Posts
Pretty sure i had a 10lb plusser last weekend on a storm sardine shad on a surf beach, its huge head rose out of the water showing of its white chin and flaring blood red gills............then nothing shad back at my feet fish gone, heavy heart and the air was blue :(, worst thing was that beach was gill betted the day later so the b*****ds probably got my monster :(.

I feel you pain

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dom - went down your way today on a recce - hell theres alot of broken red weed in the water (couple of places it was almost "muddy" with it) - started looking west facing then went into the Haven (just as bad) - went west again - even more of the same

head doing!
Its realy bad at the mo Tom, weed everywhere.
There is some realy good spot around St. davids that should be ok to fish, porthgain is a realy good area.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was fly fishing for sea trout on a river last night.
Hooked a big fish. possibly a salmon, before dark in a fast run, put a good bend in my rod but it came off on the second run.
After dark I hooked 2 decent sea trout (about 2lb), which both came off very quickly.

Had a few more pulls, but only fish landed was a 3/4lb schoolie and a 2 oz salmon parr.;-)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Unlucky Dom!! Next time!!!

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Unlucky Dom . . . . . . that's just the way it rolls sometimes ;). When you do land a big girl, victory will taste that little bit sweeter for this experience :p.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
A sad story Dom, I did feel your pain for a brief second but it's just poor angling :wink:

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
I would have to agree with you Steve :-D
I just keep replaying it through my head all the bl**dy time:cry:
Stick at it Dom, all will come good in the end mate, just don't let it knock your confidence :-D

·
Registered
340 Posts
Unlucky m8

I lost a big one a few weeks back, still playing out the what if's in my head, more so as lost it in swell at my feet so had a good look at it - but after speaking with paul B a few weeks back something he said makes sence of it

"at the end of the day its only a fish and there are more"

I know the day I land a nice one, the loss will become a distant memory - get back out m8 she is out there ;-)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts