The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a few of us have seen the odd snipe we know they will soon be coming in thick and fast! the big questin is who will be the first to land one LRF stylee

ive never targeted them has anyone got some tips or are we going to be sneaky keeping secrets till the first catch

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
tiny soft lures with floating stingers, carolina on japanese egg style floats or bombarda m8.
Also, those little metals up in the water.

We are go from this weekend I reckon as we know they are in.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wool is this a sneaky secret sleepy?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
am i being silly? whats a flating stinger is that the rig you showed me in the cafe?

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Snipe are Garfish, the wool I have used in the past on spinners as the beaks get tangled, and will often hold the fish better whereas a single hook can be difficult to find a hold. The hook will have to be sticky sharp any way. And I think the floating stinger is is the hook used further back, but not attached to the SP, though I may be wrong. I am going to tie a few fixed stingers tonight on some pre-rigged plastics I think.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry tim snipe might be a jersey term i think a garfish im not sure tho

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
funny you should say that bob............ lol no only joking although you can catch them on swinders

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
The wool idea is a good one , they catch sailfish on that method , no damaging fish with hooks they get the wool tangled around the bill
Old trick for boat fishing was to replace the "feather" on worn out Guernsey feathers with red wool. Just tie a knot on the snood above the hook with a short length of wool hanging next to the hook. Mostly with pollack in mind as they love red too.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
A lad in the shop today (also known as Drunken Sailor on other forums) said he had his first snipe the other day, proper one in daylight on a float, thats the first "proper" one I have heard of.....right on time as usual.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeh snipe seems to be a jersey term and usually called Garfish, a snipe back in the Uk is woodcock (I think) a small game bird. Callum I found a good shore venue earlier last year was the hot water outlet at the power plant at La Collette, plenty just swimming in the out flow current.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Yeh snipe seems to be a jersey term and usually called Garfish, a snipe back in the Uk is woodcock (I think) a small game bird. Callum I found a good shore venue earlier last year was the hot water outlet at the power plant at La Collette, plenty just swimming in the out flow current.
Game Birds Snipe are snipe , woodcock are larger than snipe , but both move like bullets (OFF TOPIC )

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
L'Islet is good for Snipe, as is St Aubins Fort, harbour side, any lights in harbours by night, and most of the SE!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Oh, we'll get em.

I know loads of places where 6 or 7 guys could all easily have equal chances of having a blast.

Snipe will go like stink. I know this because I've had them on 4#wt fly rods and they are a handful.

Mackerel are harder running but snipe do leap like proper billfish on light gear and you have to 'bow' if on light tippets.
I once had 3 on at once when i was swinging buzzers for Mullet. That sounds fun but it actually wasn't ! I was in trouble.

Scad, or 'Horse Mackerel' will be the same. We are gonna see some awesome scraps this season and some big smiles.
I only just found out after reading Bob Jameson's book (Thanks Bob) that Scad are members of the 'Jack' family ! That explains alot doesn't it.

Kev had a monster 'Scad' a few years ago from Gorey. Well, we think it was a Scad. Thinking now, it might have been one of those Guinean Jacks ?
Well over a Kilo it was but it went back real quick and of course, we didn't think, lights were off etc..
Massive scrap though and that was on full Bass gear. LRF with one of those will be full on tropical fight style fun.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts