The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
We are Bristol based anglers and have have fished the the estuary a number of times either from the north side or South depending on wind direction. It is the most beautiful place the water teeming with bait fish. I would like to ask about the water clarity? I realise that with it being sand based there will always be suspension in the water but as a rule does the water remain reasonably clear all the year round despite say a heavy swell on the bar. I assume as with all rivers periods of heavy rain may effect the colour and the fishing. I am aking for this info because being inland based and not having every day monitoring of the water it would help if we could travel down to reasonable visibilty. We fish other areas and of course and like everyone else wind and water clarity can stop lure fishing and i wandered if the Taw / Torridge were effected as much as there is always a constant movement of water and secondly it is a reasonable sized estuary. I am for reference talking the the estuary mouth area!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi,
We are Bristol based anglers and have have fished the the estuary a number of times either from the north side or South depending on wind direction. It is the most beautiful place the water teeming with bait fish. I would like to ask about the water clarity? I realise that with it being sand based there will always be suspension in the water but as a rule does the water remain reasonably clear all the year round despite say a heavy swell on the bar. I assume as with all rivers periods of heavy rain may effect the colour and the fishing. I am aking for this info because being inland based and not having every day monitoring of the water it would help if we could travel down to reasonable visibilty. We fish other areas and of course and like everyone else wind and water clarity can stop lure fishing and i wandered if the Taw / Torridge were effected as much as there is always a constant movement of water and secondly it is a reasonable sized estuary. I am for reference talking the the estuary mouth area!
The Taw and Torridge estuary is one of the fastest waters in the country and due to this a lot of sand and mud gets disturbed. It fills up and empties out as you will have noticed, at a rate that is dangerously scary at times (on the big tides). Towards the mouth of the estuary is always clearer than the middle reaches obviously due to this being sand and not mud bottom.
Rain water is the biggest factor here due to two rivers meeting very close to the mouth of the estuary. Being close to the Bristol channel doesn't help with this as well.
So with periods of low rain fall and after an Easterly wind has cleared the water up it is as good a place than any to pick up the fish. The estuary overall is a lot more coloured than you would prefer for lure fishing most of the year and that is why I am prepared to travel south to find better clarity when required

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you want a water check before you travel, just give me a shout. I'm about 10-15 mins from the sea & drive / cycle past on my way to work. Full of admiration for you guys that travel to fish.
PM me and i'll let you have my mobile no.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I too hope to be fishing the estuary this year as I'm down in North Devon quite regularly (surfing), also traveling from Bristol.

Just wondering what tactics others use there? I know a local favourite is the red gill and ball float.

I'm thinking xlayers bumped along the bottom with suitable jighead...?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I too hope to be fishing the estuary this year as I'm down in North Devon quite regularly (surfing), also traveling from Bristol.

Just wondering what tactics others use there? I know a local favourite is the red gill and ball float.

I'm thinking xlayers bumped along the bottom with suitable jighead...?

Both methods you mentioned are as good a method as any

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi guys, its interesting to see that other lure anglers are targeting the Taw and Torridge, as iv lived in Barnstaple all of my life this river system is in fact my local fishery. It would be really good to hear from other anglers who fish here and see what your view is on this interesting waterway. Toby Hann

1 - 6 of 6 Posts