The Lure Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents, the following orbituary has been lifted (with permission) from easternanglers.net forum, and passed to me.

Members of the B.A.S.S. Society woke up today to hear of the sad loss of one of its leading and most-respected of members, John Leballeur. John was head of the Society's Restoration Team, which works to get measures in place to restore bass stocks to something near their past levels, and to protect the rights of bass anglers. John at times did this all himself, working almost full-time by meeting politicians, fisheries ministers, marine scientists, DEFRA, sea fisheries committees and the like, putting detailed proposals across and chasing & hounding to get small, step-by-step results out of these people. He was passionate about the measures needed to halt the commercial slaughter of bass, whether it be the cowboy slaughter of sub-36cm fish, or the legal decimation of 36 to 42cm fish, which, if you don't know, are also of pre-spawning age. He also campaigned for more and better-policed nursery areas, more appropriate net sizes, and lately was writing a Bass Management Plan in conjunction with the European Anglers' Alliance, with a view to adoption in law across Europe. On top of that he was involved in netting studies of '0'-class basslets in the Cornish estuaries . He was a friendly, positive and dependable man, full of hope that attitudes can, and will change, so that the carnage can be addressed with sustainable measures and effective fisheries management. He had a knowledge and commitment that will be almost impossible to replace.
I expect many who fish for bass will not have known him, or maybe will know the name because of his press releases about bass welfare over the last two years or so. He was based in the Southwest, where more of the remaining bass are (and consequently more of the abuses are). A fine man, and a great loss to the B.A.S.S. Society and the world of bass conservation.
The very sad passing of someone who has been doing an enormous amount of work (whether you realised it or not) to ensure that the sport we love has some sort of future.

I met him at the recent BASS AGM, and you could not wish to have a better man at the helm of the project. His enthusiasm was completely infectuous, and his loss to our cause will be enormous.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Sad news indeed. I am fairly new to BASS, but his was the name I most associated with the organisation and their good work.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
A very sad day indeed, Passionate men with vision and fight are hard to come by !

My Condolences to his family and friends.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Incredibly sad, i'm not a BASS member, but by the sounds of it we've lost a great defender of our sport.. my thoughts go out to his family and friends..

·
Registered
381 Posts
It really is quite devastating. Not only on a personal level for his family, but also (potentially) for the restoration team in BASS.

His knowledge of bass and their lifecycle and the sordid politics of commercial fishing was extensive. Hopefully his legacy will be better regulations and more and bigger bass.

Most bass fishers will not have known him - they should have done. Most bass fishers are not members of BASS - they should be.

·
Registered
519 Posts
i didn't know him, but it's sad to hear of someone who did so much towards a better fishery, will not be around to hopefully see it happen.

kev

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Sad news John did a lot of work for BASS Restoration and came to know him when some local anglers took part in the bass tagging scheme a few years ago. He is a great loss to the fight to protect bass stocks

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Hard to add to the words already posted here. What a significant loss for B.A.S.S. and the angling community. Like so many others I never met John but was well aware of his dedication to bass preservation.

My condolences to his family.

·
Registered
949 Posts
It really is quite devastating. Not only on a personal level for his family, but also (potentially) for the restoration team in BASS.

His knowledge of bass and their lifecycle and the sordid politics of commercial fishing was extensive. Hopefully his legacy will be better regulations and more and bigger bass.

Most bass fishers will not have known him - they should have done. Most bass fishers are not members of BASS - they should be.
Spot on there Julian, and AndyM.
Our precious bass cannot speak up for themselves - so John did it for them. Anyone who really cares about their bass fishing should be a member of the BASS society. John Leballeur was a rare diamond, whos tragic passing is a massive blow for the wellfare of the species. He'll be mourned for many years, and this will leave a huge void in the fight for more and bigger bass.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts