The Lure Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was looking at a night in last night when about half 8 she said "aren't you out tonight then??". Taking this in the right way I assumed it was an invite so was out the door before she could change her mind.

back to my little mark I am working on with a light on the water and in with the new teeny SPs. Some 1.5inch paddle tail shads from AGM. Had several bumps but no hookup which was odd. Had a size 6 mullet hook in them which seemed about right and an SSG shot at the head on the line for weight. Coul djust about feel what was going on with the wind and felt several pulls and nibbles but no joy on a hookup.

After going through half a dozen lure I decided to try some new Senkos I just had, pure white with bits of salt stuck on them. Venom brand. Heavy Salt with trigger scent apparently (AGM).

Anyway, got hit first cast but missed the hookup. Using a 2g head with a size 4 hook on it.

next cast I was just pulling in real slow after letting it sink well and got a slight pull which I lifted into and all hell broke loose!!! Rod buckled completely over and new reel singing away just how you like it I had no control whatsoever for the first 10 seconds. Wondering if I had fluked a bass at that point as it was out of sight when it took where other takes I had seen flashes of pollack sides in the murk.

After what felt like ages of the rod buckled and reel singing I decided to tighten the drag as I was fishing heavy (??!) with 10lb G-Soul braid straight through, he continued to take line but I gained and saw it was just a pollack. About 1.5lb at a guesstimate.

JUST A POLLACK. You guys sooooo have to get a 2-10g rod and see how much fun they are!! Mental!!

Only fish of the night, they seem to get suspect once I fish has been caught and returned and shy away though you get flashes with no take. Very cautious fish.

Gonna have to take the Pafex stuff out next time and see if we can narrow down what they really like.

Click to enlarge a bit.

Fin Fish Ray-finned fish Marine biology Tail

Attachments

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Nice fish and great report, Andy. I have just had some Senkos and light jigheads arrive so i can't wait to try them out!

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Nice one Andy! I tried the Senko wacky rigged last night for a little bit, but it seemed they were only interested in tiny sp's. Were you fishing it back with twitches etc, or sink and pull

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
brilliant m8.

wacky rigged right ?

try looking at the inchy wacky technique.

what we need are 2" wacky worms m8.
Try some of those cheesy worms from AGM on a small hook or zappu light wacky jig head Keith. Just an idea but I reckon they would work. OMG I need to get out more, just waiting for a permit on my favorite Perch pond and I'll be out every night !!!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Good work Andy,

Know what you mean with the light rods.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Only fish of the night, they seem to get suspect once I fish has been caught and returned and shy away though you get flashes with no take. Very cautious fish.
Andy:

Hence why we go small and light line, light heads.

Imagine how fast Pollack wise up with a dozen guys putting em down.

Bigger lures do work initially, nearly every tide but, they are quick to wise up.

There seems to be a break even point where you go small enough that the larger fish and, the larger percentage of the catch is sustained.

**** asked me today, how many do we individually catch ?

Tough one but i've had 14 in one session, Paul B i know has done a dozen at least once, Darren G had 11 last night, and Kevin has hit double figures a number of times as have I.
The other guys are starting to catch up fast and I kid you not, 100 fish sessions are just around the corner in a group effort.

That's got to be cool in anyone's book.

Even Darren (Berkeley sponsored LOL) started big and changed down as the Pollack wised up last night. 11 fish last night was a damn good effort.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, was going to size down the lure but I was getting cold on that mark so left soon after. Thought that's what it might have been putting them off. The other thing I have found fishing areas with lights is that if they have seen you, they will also shy away so you almost need to get yourself back into the shadows and cast into the light rather than standing near the light as I was. Very small mark this one so hard to do that with ropes and boats in the way. Plenty more areas like that though!!

The Senko was just rigged standard texas style with a very slow non stop retrieve with the odd twitch, seems to be what they wanted. Tried wacky with no interest. Still learning.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
The Senko was just rigged standard texas style with a very slow non stop retrieve with the odd twitch, seems to be what they wanted. Tried wacky with no interest. Still learning.
Nice one Andy.

We may need to wait till the water temp raises for proper wacky action.

Straight and spilt tails seem favourite right now. Slow, slow falls but always in contact.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
The main reason I asked about numbers of individual fish was I wondered if one particular angler got the hot spot so to speak. When I used to float fish the peirs and rocks for pollack I found often it took time to suss where they were but once sussed I could clean up, and it could be a very small area.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
The main reason I asked about numbers of individual fish was I wondered if one particular angler got the hot spot so to speak. When I used to float fish the peirs and rocks for pollack I found often it took time to suss where they were but once sussed I could clean up, and it could be a very small area.
There certainly are hot spots ****.

Probably none more so than the 'flipper' at La Collette'.

Lights, or near the lights aren't always the hot zones people imagine them to be.

The more experienced in the group are catching and slowly moving away from lights to show the others it's not needed.

Slow but sure, we'll wean em off lights.

Kev, myself and, suprisingly, Paul B are very comfortable over rocks at night. Paul stunned me with his rock hopping skills in the dark for a boat boy.

In fact, most of our 'better' fish have come from features as opposed to just pure lit zones.
Bonne Nuit doesn't seem to hold large numbers of 1lb plus fish. Maybe because the bottom is cleaner closer to the harbour.

G

·
Even Darren (Berkeley sponsored LOL) started big and changed down as the Pollack wised up last night. 11 fish last night was a damn good effort.
For the record, I am not 'Berkley Sponsored'! Now, if you wish to talk Kellogs Keith.................................;-)

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Kev, myself and, suprisingly, Paul B are very comfortable over rocks at night. Paul stunned me with his rock hopping skills in the dark for a boat boy...
30 years low water fishing is good training for anyone. I fall over on boats all the time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.