The Lure Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Was wondering if the swimbait craze has hit the UK? It (using large lures that imitate fish) has grown in popularity here in Australia over the last couple years. Especially in fresh water targeting our native species Murray cod, which grows to over a metre in length. I know they have used swimbaits in the US for a lot longer time. Has the trend caught on or have swimbaits always been used?

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Hi Jim
Yes swimbaits have been popular here for a decade or more. Mainly for Pike on bigger/deeper venues like Trout Resevoirs, where illegally stocked pike have grown huge on all that stupid hi fat food on the fin!
Sizes 4" 6" 8" and 10", with 8 probably being the most popular on the resevoirs.
The smaller sizes do take Perch and Zander, but not perhaps as consistently as the Pike.
Colours? worth having a variety of bright/dark and natural/ outlandish patterns.
Paddle tails, flat tails and curl tails all have their day.
They work cast or trolled, with trolling varieties up to a foot, weighing 300gm plus!
More recent developments have included varied densities/sink rates, and line through models that can move up the trace once a fish is hooked, reducing the chances of that big lure being a lever to throw the hooks when a fish shakes its head.
Slow sink smaller models are useful on the rivers as well.
Anybody used them from a boat for Ferox Trout, Bass/Pollack, or even Cod/Ling?
Water Vertebrate Smile Lake Fisherman

My best on a 6", line through, flat tailed, slow sink, natural Trout pattern........27lb plus.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you use baitcast gear? From what I have seen here, the majority of people do and I will be. Everyone here in Oz uses braid on baitcast reels. Do you use braid or mono? (Assuming you use a baitcast reel). My concerns with braid...no stretch...and if one gets a tangle on casting and everything comes to a complete stop, me thinks one will be launching the swimbait never to be seen again!

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
People use both multipliers and fixed spool reels. I did use multipliers, but don't now, as I sometimes clip a deadbait on the same rod, to twitch along the bottom, and would cast softish baits off using a multiplier. Also reckon I cast further with a 5000 sized fixed spool. That might just be my casting incompetence!
Braid? 30lb with 4". 40+ with 6", and 65 with those 8" models.
We forgot to talk hard or soft swimbaits......I mostly use softs. Cheaper until a pike nips the paddle tail off a brand new one.........

·
Registered
1 Posts

1 - 5 of 5 Posts