The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At around 4:30am the three musketeers (Simon, Luke and myself) were hurtling down the M4 to a new mark, on arival we were greeted with a difficult choice on where to fish, lots of headlands and fingers of rock with perfect gullies running parallel, pinnacles and reef breaking the surface and plenty of current despite the neap tide.

Despite throwing all manner of hard and soft lures, no fish was feeling suicidal from that particular mark, although the huge seal that passed us looked like he had a good breakfast!!! And the seagulls remained to work over an outer reeef/rock outcrop for the whole time we were there. Maybe they were looking for the couple of SP`s I lost?
After a brief chat between Si and I (Basswalker was re-fuelling with go-ahead bars!!!) We moved to another mark, the water was again superb, fantastic visibility and screemed bass. All manner of lures were thrown, and every inch of water covered, I found some great structure and proceeded to "mark" them as mine by leaving another couple of Sp`s behind!!! Re-fuelled, the Bsswalker was fishing hard, even after a good mounting yomp and wading through some strong currents and bouldering! Superb fishing by him.

I made my way to the point and around the headland and was greeted with a mark that was unbelievable, if ever there was a blueprint for a bass mark this would have been it!!! Feeling confident and with the sun and Lady Luck shining down within a few casts a lively schoolie had fallen to the rhytmic movement of my secret squirrel lure!!! Not the biggest bass in the world at around 1.75lbs but my first one of the year and it put a rather cheesy grin on my face!!! :-D

After a quick photo the fish was returned and despite all my efforts no other fish graced the shore. Strangely after the scramble across the boulders did`nt seem so bad on the way back! lol. It seems that theese elusive fish dont care for the effort we were putting in, they did`nt seem to care much for £20+ lures, their exciting colours, and despite the lures doing all kinds of dancing they just ignored us and did`nt put in an appearance! Time to move.......
Back at the car, ice-creams, cookies and sanwiches were enjoyed (mainly by Basswalker!!! christ he amazes me how much he eats!!!) and plans were made to fish another of last years "producer" marks.
Another top spot with all the features you could want and with water clarity to challenge smirnoff!!!

Whilst working the choosen areas I spotted a bass crash on-top but unfortunately it was out of casting range. I did attempt some distance casting with SP`s!!! But left them as further decorations amongst the rocks!! lol. Later on Simon spotted a shoal of big fish working a drop-off just 6 feet out which were identified as mullet, and big mullet aswell, maybe 15 fish? more activity followed with what looked to be a bass hitting into the shoal which panicked them and we watched as the water fizzed and boiled 20 feet away!!! With the tide now reaching the edge of the cliff face it was time to leave this mark (before being cut-off) and signalled the end of the days bumble.

Absolutely fantastic day yet again, thanks to Simon for once again doing all the driving and the good banter, as ever Luke was on top form even at 4:30am it was "dad have you got them Wagasaki xslayers with you"? and told us a whole manner of lures and techniques he was planning to use!! very impressive and deffinately a future bass legend!
I really cannot wait for the next bumble, it just keeps getting better and better.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Well done for getting off the mark Iestyn. I think I recognise the last mark too.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Cracking write-up Iestyn !! & well done again for nailing the first Welsh Shirley of the year on a lure (from our group at least) :clap: :clap: :clap:.

Another enjoyable day with scenery to die for !!

A few more pics from me . . . . . .

Iestyn perched on the rocks, precision casting his s/p's into the snags . . . .

Basswalker & Iestyn thrashing the water to foam . . . .

Shirley there's gotta be Bass down there . . . . check out the current & runs in the water . . . . .

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
By the way, very decent of the Shirley's to start to turn up just before the Bumble ;) !! Anyone would think we'd planned it eh Tim ??? :D

·
Registered
659 Posts
Cracking report and pics Iestyn well worth keeing us all in suspenders for,, and congrats on catching a 2010 fish......

"Oh yeah",, and well done to young Luke and Simon, for giving it there all too..

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Good work guys!! First of many, many, many, many, many with any luck.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well done Guys, those new marks look superb ! I am sorry now I didn't make more of an effort, nice looking fish Iestyn, I would have been more than happy with that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nice report, Iestyn, full of enthusiam . . . which unbelievably didn't seem to dim as lures were lost. :mrgreen:

Not fished much that far west . . . but the water looks lovely.

J.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Great work guys, cheers for the report!
Make sure you point them north when u slip them back LOL.

·
Registered
324 Posts
great report guys and great pics as well. will be taking my rods up to wales next month when I'm going to visit the folks, the scenery where you guys fished looks fabulous. well done.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
love it guys...top report.they will start showin in numbers from now on im sure..and big well done to little luke for gettin stuck in.cheers daz

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Great looking mark. In water clarity like that the chances are there were bigger fish you couldn't deceive. As for the mullet, well they often have a bass or two with them so all in all it sounds like a top spot.

·
Registered
537 Posts
great report lestyn, good to see the bass caught. I managed 5 sessions over the weekend and the only surprise I had was coming across nude sunbathers on a secluded beach!!!! (well they must have thought nobody would be daft enough to climb down those rocks!!!!) the reaction on their faces was priceless!!!!! I was looking for fishing marks honest!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
well done on getting the welsh section off and running with bass catches, lets hope we will all be adding to it very soon now !!!

cheers, Trev

1 - 20 of 24 Posts