The Lure Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking during a session, where the fish were pretty much attacking the baby patchinko surface lure at will. If i was going to use topwater selected end tackle only what would it be? Perhaps a lighter braid, and a floating nylon leader, tied direct to the lure via a rapala or similar loop knot.

Is it possible for one setup (i.e braid-leader) to positively target all techniques, considering the different line characteristics/properties?? If so, why do some tournament anglers use certain tackle for certain situations.

What would be difference in the action of a surface lure when using 20lb leader compared to 10lb leader? and what would the difference be when using mono or fluoro leaders in relation to the actual action.

Line characteristics have got to be an issue worth investigating, the surface lure will do as its designed but only with the right techinque and tackle used in conjunction?

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I was thinking during a session, where the fish were pretty much attacking the baby patchinko surface lure at will. If i was going to use topwater selected end tackle only what would it be? Perhaps a lighter braid, and a floating nylon leader, tied direct to the lure via a rapala or similar loop knot.

Is it possible for one setup (i.e braid-leader) to positively target all techniques, considering the different line characteristics/properties?? If so, why do some tournament anglers use certain tackle for certain situations.

What would be difference in the action of a surface lure when using 20lb leader compared to 10lb leader? and what would the difference be when using mono or fluoro leaders in relation to the actual action.

Line characteristics have got to be an issue worth investigating, the surface lure will do as its designed but only with the right techinque and tackle used in conjunction?
I have tried using lighter leader etc and I do think it gives more life to small surface plugs,you do need to watch for the lighter leader fouling the top hook on the plug though.
When using small surface WTD type plugs the heavy leader that will sink causes to much drag on a small plug etc.

·
Registered
379 Posts
It's worth a thought but there are so many variables to consider, I recon that practice and actual fishing can only be the best way to find out what works best and that would involve serious hours to be able to notice the difference. Consider the baby patchinkos we were using last weekend, we used different patterns, are the transparent models like the G500 fractionally lighter than the solid coloured models like the Silver/Black? Does this make a difference to how they sit in the water, I've noticed in the past how the different ZClaws work depending on model/pattern.

It maybe that a heavier clip etc may actually make the lure look more atractive to the fish, or not, only the fish will be able to show you if they like it. Untill manufactures look in detail on how they want and design the lure to work (again going back to lure tuning), then offer information with the lure stateing ideal setup then we just have to find out for ourselves. There is surely though just too many variables between angler for this to apply, the main one being the individuals technique, followed by rod, line, position to angler in relation to water etc etc etc.:-D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.