The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always wanted to do this and today was my day :-D
Ever heard of the story of some guys fishing using top of the range gear and catching nothing? then a old guy apears on a bike with a old tatty rod and ends up catching a fish first cast leaving everyone speechless as he then cycles off into the distance?

Okay I was in my works van and no cycling was involved but I did the same thing today :-o
2 guys were fishing at my local mark and I thought I would try my luck, first cast and I pulled out a bass, the look on the guys faces were priceless, anyway I remembered the old story I decided to do the same as that old guy, I put the fish back into the water then threw my rod in the back of the van and waved goodbye and drove off (trying to look ultra cool)
Total time fishing 90 seconds. :rofl:

I decided to settle for the glory, it might have been the only fish I would have caught :-D
That almost made up for 8hrs of blanking last Sunday ... almost.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
F*cking cool thing to do..

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Haha, brilliant!!!!!! :D :clap:

I used to do similar on the coarse lakes actually. Not in quite as much style though.

I used to fish a place with one match lake and one specimen lake. Quite often I'd fish a match during the day, and then afterwards I'd pop over with just a rod, simple floaty rig, landing net, a tin of luncheon meat and a handfull of pellets to the specimen lake afterwards. Surrounded by bivvies, I literally lost count of the number of times I'd stop in the first peg I got to, chuck some pellet in and follow that with the float - nearly always rewarded with a very quick fish - more often than not a fish in to double figures. With that fish in the net I'd then walk back over to the match lake and carry on packing up... :p

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Love it.
Did something simalar 2 years ago in the Alderney angling festival. 10 or so anglers float fishing for Mullet in the breakwater slip area,some having been there for hours.Park at top of slip, put rod together, add half ounce bomb rig with running trace, walk down slip, squeeze on bread, drop gear in boulders where i'd seen them feeding at the same state of tide the day before, bite, strike, fight, net, see you later boyz, walk back up slip 8 minutes later with a 5.6 mullet. The faces on the guys was a picture. Turned out to be the biggest of the festival as well.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Love it.
Did something simalar 2 years ago in the Alderney angling festival. 10 or so anglers float fishing for Mullet in the breakwater slip area,some having been there for hours.Park at top of slip, put rod together, add half ounce bomb rig with running trace, walk down slip, squeeze on bread, drop gear in boulders where i'd seen them feeding at the same state of tide the day before, bite, strike, fight, net, see you later boyz, walk back up slip 8 minutes later with a 5.6 mullet. The faces on the guys was a picture. Turned out to be the biggest of the festival as well.
High 5 Steve :-D

·
Registered
324 Posts
If Carlsberge did lure fishing............................................................... Fantastic mate.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Brilliant,
Just goes to show it isn't what you have got, it is how you use it!!!

·
Registered
949 Posts
I went for a holiday to Kerry with the other half a good few years back, once we'd got the car unloaded and the heating on in the house, she could see I was itching to get down to my favourite spot for a quick cast while she cooked tea. When I got there I saw a transit van with English plates and the 3 occupants were fishing the beach. As I approached I could see they had all the usual gear - seatboxes and tripods with a pair of high-end matched outfits each, and they were all sat down watching their rod tips.
As I walked past them carrying my spinning rod with a couple of lures in my pocket one of em said. "Youre not spinning are you?...theres nothing here we've been here all day and only had one flattie and an eel"
I didnt break stride, "Yes" I replied "but dont worry not anywhere near you guys, I'm just nipping down there for a few casts in the corner of the beach by all them rocks"
1st cast a 4lb bass, landed and released as I felt the 3 pairs of eyes burning into the back of my head, 2nd cast a 2lb'er, 3rd I lost the lure. I was only there a matter of a few minutes and decided to go back for my tea.
"How big was that then?" the guy asked. "Oh both small" says I.
"What did you get em on?" "A plug...but I got it snagged and lost it"
"Rubbish them things its like chucking your money in the sea"

Hey-ho.

Next morning I nipped down to the same spot to check the conditions and picked up a load of line and rubbish they'd left strewn about the place, aswell as a load of left over bait that was starting to stink in the sun. I took the bait down to the corner of the beach and stamped it into the sand, smashing it all up. At half tide I nipped back to the corner with my bass rod and lobbed a crab bait close in, right next to the groundbaited area tight up to the rocks....

I never caught but I really really wish I had have.:wink:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Brilliant.

I went out with Mike Ladle (well known Bass fanatic and writer) a few years ago. On our first trip, we arrived at the spot and as I was tying on my lure Mike was into a fish within seconds.

All sorts of thought were going through my mind as to what I had been doing wrong for the past few months. As it turned out the rest of the session was fruitless and my mind was put to rest.

Phil V

·
Registered
21 Posts
Similar thing happened to me when I first took up Bass fishing three years ago. I turned up at Meadfoot, Torquay at around 5:00 am to see the slipway lined with fishermen who'd been there all night with live sandeel on float, looking peed-off, bored and cold. Out came my 20g blue/silver Abu Toby and a cheap spinning rod. They laughed quitely among themselves as I cast out. I felt a good bump. On the second cast - bang! Jaws dropped as my cheapo rod bent right over and after a cracking scrap I pulled a 4lb Bass onto the slipway. Priceless.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts