The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Well it looks like there is finally a squid that qualifies as a "sportfish" ie It is capable of jumping clear of the water.
Imaine casting a egi jig out only to have it snatched by a squid mid-cast!!!
I bet the japanese work out how to catch them within two years!!

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it! Strange that they have only just been discovered??

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Would love to see a 5ft Humbolt in a suitably sized pan. Pass the garlic and chilli.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Cliff,
Now what is the correct choice, side by side or over and under??

·
Registered
779 Posts
Ive seen squid jumping before (some must have gone 20foot in the air) - amazing (anything to get away from Mr Yellowfin)

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I stand corrected Tom. I really need to move somewhere where there are yellowfin!!

·
Registered
779 Posts
I stand corrected Tom. I really need to move somewhere where there are yellowfin!!
lol we used to call em rocket squid (its any squid escaping really)

Now heres a story - while I lived in Bermuda I met a pair of chaps who fished deep n dark for big squid - anyways saw em both down the marina and they told me the previous night that they had hooked a squid so big that they had to chop the tentacles with a machete as they came over the side of the boat (thicker than a mans arm they said)
My face must have said bullshi7 so one of em jumped on his moped to go get some pics. On producing the pics the average squod body (is it carpice?) was over 4 foot long! - none of the pics were with outstretched tentacles but Im guessing there were at least another 6 foot!
As I recall the biggest must have had a 6 foor body! - now thats pretty big.
I was impressed & they swore blind that they had to hack away the Kraken the previous night (all their fishing was at night off "the edge" wher the water drops to 3000 foot+)

Amazing! (not sure on the exact squid species but I diont think it was the Humbolt)

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Tom,
A four to six foot body (posh name is Mantle) on a squid is not a bad size, but they go way way bigger than that, You are quite right the Humbolt squid is only found in Pacific waters.
But there are at four species that have been discovered that can exceed 25' long-And most if not all of those can be found in Atlantic waters.
How about this bad boy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_Squid

1 - 16 of 16 Posts