The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cos i've wound it all in! and left it in little piles along the shore line
fishing was very difficult last night as i was winding in weed every cast picking it up my line so even when using surface lure you couldn't work it very well

could you give me some advice on fishing when its weedy or is it a case of fishing a different mark i was fishing a in coming tide does it make a lot of difference on what tide or is it more to do with sea conditions?

oh i did manage to catch one though a little schoolie only the second one so far this year on a maria chase hola which makes a change

cheers col

·
Registered
932 Posts
When it's really weedy I'll either only use surface plugs and suffer the misery of taking the weed off after most retrieves. Either that or utilise softies rigged weedless.

Mostly though, I get the raving hump and bugger off home.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I suffered with the dreaded weed last week in ireland, and like you, thought i must have wound in enough to clear it :rollineyes:.

Using a surface lure helped a little, but the only lure that really helped was the Duo Press Bait Kamuy. It's very good at avoiding weed. Not a lure for all marks / situations though.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Col,
Would you mind popping out again either this evening or sometime tomorrow?
I'm hoping to get out over the weekend & if you could dredge all the weed & leave it above the high water mark that would be a great help!

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I cleared a section of the SW coast of Jersey on the weekend. Left the rocks looking like a lush meadow. To add insult to injury, I slipped about 5 times on weed I had previously caught and released.

There was no escaping it on my trip, it was through the entire water column, surface to bottom and whatever I tried was weeded within 5 seconds of being in the water. When its like that, all you can do is walk and look for pockets of clear water.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The weed was bad tuesday evening on the south west devon coast.We had about 3 casts each followed by a 12 mile drive to the south east devon coast.No weed- saw a few bass,but only caught 4 mackerel.Must get some heavier weedless jigheads but don't see any advertised.

·
Registered
133 Posts
It usually clears later into the flood. Fishing an hour either side of high water gives you a couple of hours with not too many problems though. Areas away from the main flow but parallel to it can be less hassle as well.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
If you are fishing into weed growing on the bottom, fishing weedless can and does prevent the lure becoming snagged, pulling through with no bother. My problem was that due to a recent big swell, the weed was broken up and loose, and would snag no matter what I put on the end. I trim my Albright right down to nothing, yet it would still come back with a 50p size dollop of the very fine stringy weed, with the eye of the hook on the SP collecting even more. Plugs were just a write off.

I tend to use the weedless weighted hooks from AGM for my SP's, I dont really like the ones with a kind of fibre brush.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Col,
Would you mind popping out again either this evening or sometime tomorrow?
I'm hoping to get out over the weekend & if you could dredge all the weed & leave it above the high water mark that would be a great help!
yeah no problem mate ,if anyone else needs some clearin give us a shout!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts