The Lure Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have caught a fair few Pike in the past, but it has been a few years since I toped up the lure box,
So a question for the more experienced (and up to date) piker's out there.
I am looking for a few BIGGER lures to add to my box.
I have a few super shads, Depth Raider, a Bert (or Ernie) well the deep diving one, a couple of Bomber 17's. Oh and a couple of BIG (Musky) spinnerbaits.
So what is worth adding, I am looking for Crank baits rather than Jerkbaits.
Oh and the rod is rated up to 90g/3.5(ish)oz, and fished off heavier braid.
Thanks for any tips/ideas
Tunny

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I would add a couple of Jake’s too.

When it comes to straight retrieve lures don’t forget large soft plastics such as Bull Dawgs and Replicant’s

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention some of the Swedish Zalt and Zam lures are always worth having :cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funny you should mention Zalt Zam's,
That is what Saltiga used the other day, very nice looking lure. I have just ordered a couple of them.
Will get some of the others on order. (funny how they all seem cheaper, after japanese bass lures :lol: )

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
The cynic in me seems this change in tactics as an excuse to go out and but more tackle, Dave. Any truth in that? :?:

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Griff,
I have No idea what you mean :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
dont fish for pike in the uk but do 3 weeks every summer in finland where this last summer all the locals where using these patterns

which were accounting for some serious pike and nice zander

one of three zander between 6-7 lb caught in 20 minutes

the tackle shops were struggling to keep up with demand for these yellow/white/silver patterns

this 25lb er fell to one on a boat fishing an area that i fish but i havnt got to that kind of size yet myself,

if i am struggling to get them to take when experimenting my "go to" is a rather old hat one of these

this 20g toby has caught over a hundred pike and will get them to take within minutes of putting it on when things are a bit slow otherwise.

as i said,not sure how these would work in uk waters, but maybe worth a go.?

Trev

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Bomber, Rapala and Nils Master crankbaits have for many years now accounted for a huge number of pike, large trout and salmon all over Scandinavia.

I always carry Bomber crankbaits with me when I go pike fishing here in the UK, and the 17A version is one of the best twitch baits there is. In addition it doubles up as a fantastic shallow water trolling lure when fished on its own or for deep water when fished in conjunction with a downrigger.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
mosseydog said:
Another googan question here, when attaching said lures for MrTeeth, would this be a suitable trace to use, and what would be the best knot, Grinner to attach to braid/line? Would these also be OK for attaching the previously mentioned Spinnerbaits?

http://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/inv ... p-551.html
Yes, those will be fine :) :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
First time post here so hello everyone.

My favourite pike lure for maximum fun is one of these..
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/River2Sea_S-Waver/descpage-R2SW.html

They fish in the top three feet of water and with a bit of practice you can get them to do incredible things like if you throw them under a tree and after it's settled give it a good flick then throw slack it will dart forward and then turn on itself and glide back to where it first landed. Like this you can make it go over and over a holding spot quite a few times and maximise your time in the strike zone. It's great because you can see the take but they'll work when pike won't come up to surface lures. Pike will even take them when you just deadstick them, no retrieve. Check out the video to get an idea of how they look under water. If you retrieve them VERY slowly with just nudges from the rod tip they act just like a dying fish (one that's been released from a keepnet by some guy sitting on a box?).

Just be careful of casting against stone walls, the tails break quite easily but you do get a spare in the pack.

Also they fish best in clear water but because they're so lifelike they'll take fish when other lures won't. Also caught big perch and chub on these from the Thames by accident. Remember being quite disgusted by the gutless fight of a 5lb+ chub on baitcasting gear!

Also like these but I smashed the bill on mine when I cast it into a tree at night. That was shortly after I lost what felt like the biggest fish all year from the Thames. It took 20yds of line off a Calcutta Conquest against a pretty tight drag. Gutted! A great retrieve with these is an accelerating sweep with the rod then kill it. The lure will dive to maybe 8" and then as you kill the retrieve will flip on its side and take on a dead fish bend as it gently floats to the surface. Deadly.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Deps_Highsider/descpage-DHSID.html

Cheers

David

1 - 16 of 16 Posts