The Lure Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It might seem a bit of a basic question.
Where can I find a site that predicts a tide for more than a week ahead in a nice sine wave graphic like Easytide do? I looked and looked but can't seem to find one.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Tim

What is wrong with a Lavers Liverpool tide table booklet for about £1.60????

I compared the tide charts that Rod has suggested & their times vary from around 20 minutes to several hours difference to my booklet :shock:

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Nige, I have a couple of Lavers, just would like to see it all laid out in front of me, as i said , in a nice sine wave.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I've got an app on my phone called 'tides plan 10'
Cost £2.49 for full app then another £2.49 for a licence to access tides on any day of the year. Displays tides for just about anywhere in the world. Comes displyed anyway you want it. Like you I like sine wave. This app let's you tap screen and gives you speed of tide in m/h. Also gives you sun up and down times and moon phase. You can cut and paste screenshots to notepad as well I believe but never tried it.
I thought it was pricey when I first loaded it ( never paid for an app before or since) but I have since decided it is well worth it. Especially if you want to check out tides for trips abroad in the future.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I've got an app on my phone called 'tides plan 10'
Cost £2.49 for full app then another £2.49 for a licence to access tides on any day of the year. Displays tides for just about anywhere in the world. Comes displyed anyway you want it. Like you I like sine wave. This app let's you tap screen and gives you speed of tide in m/h. Also gives you sun up and down times and moon phase. You can cut and paste screenshots to notepad as well I believe but never tried it.
I thought it was pricey when I first loaded it ( never paid for an app before or since) but I have since decided it is well worth it. Especially if you want to check out tides for trips abroad in the future.
I use the same appon my iphone, and it is very good. I like the fact that there are 3 or 4 different locations in Jersey alone to get times for.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I use that one too.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I use the same appon my iphone, and it is very good. I like the fact that there are 3 or 4 different locations in Jersey alone to get times for.
I don't have an Iphone but I'd 'really' interested in knowing what information it gives relative to each location at identical times ?

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Basically all the stuff David mentioned in his post. I have St Helier, Bouley, St Caths, Ecrehous and Minquiers set as my 'favourite locations'. From there, you can view standard sine (?) graph showing LW/HW peak and troughs, along with current situation. You can also go more detailed, and get info on the moon etc, but to be honest I dont understand that bit. It does other stuff as well, but I only use it for tides tbh.

Some info on it here: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/marine-tides-planner-10/id347529832?mt=8

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I have St Helier, Bouley, St Caths, Ecrehous and Minquiers set as my 'favourite locations'.
Some info on it here: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/marine-tides-planner-10/id347529832?mt=8
I have those as faves too - and I haven't even been to the channel islands before. Not until end of November that is, when Im coming over for a bit of guided fishing with Steve Mullins.
But thats the beauty of this app. I was able to check exact sizes and times of tides of the places I might be fishing well in advance, which enabled me to try and pick a worthwhile time to make the trip. I was also checking out tidal movements on West coast of Ireland - but plumped for Jersey this time. One of the best features I like is the tidal speed. If you believe that the Bass are more on the hunt as the tide is moving at full speed (there prey being chucked around a lot more in the extra current making them more vunerable) you can actually get the exact times when the tidal speed is at max. Obviously this is never just after or before high and low tide where the sine wave flattens out - so you can kind of guess it any way but its kind of cool to have it at your fingertips.
I have the Dorset coast as my main faves, inc. Poole, Swanage, Mupe Bay, Portland, Chesil Cove and Chesil Beach. Yet my only actual tide timetable from down there is from Poole. However I can work out the tides for any section along there by just looking on the map and seeing the difference between adjacent tide points. It's actually designed for sailors but works a treat.
Just tried to see if it work from Itunes on the desktop but computer says no! However you can get it for iPad (wouldn't fancy one of them in my wader pocket though).
This probably seems like an advert, but Im smitten - it just does it so well - Ive even checked out US eastern seaboard - stripers anyone? In my dreams -but you never know - the kids are going to want to go to Disneyland Florida at some point - and with this app I can make sure we go the right week!

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is exactly the kind of thing I had in mind. I just don't have an Iphone or Ipad. I do use a Mac laptop, will it run on that?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Afraid not. Tried that. Could try asking the developers www.tucabo.com if there is a way of getting a macbook version. They must have written the code etc on a mac of some sorts? However I fear that the answer will be no. The apps for the iphone and ipad are one of the main usp's for buying them in the first place. I would recommend getting a new iphone anyway the new 4 version has a 5meg camera and hi definition video camera - saves taking a camera and a phone to the beach. Im sure they are free on contract? Not sure though because Im on a business contract (us builders just got to have them sturdy iphones you know) Oh and they sink just as well as a Nokia too!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts