The Lure Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not fortunate enough to live near where i fish for Bass so decisions have to be taken when to go to South Devon. I know depending on conditions i could try other areas but for the sake of gaining valuable local knowledge, for the moment I'm sticking to this stretch of coast from Start Point to the river Yealm. I've caught the most fish during or after some kind of south westerly weather front, so my thinking is this. The tides around the new moon over the summer months are the big ones so should be a good time to go but if the wind is blowing from the north or NW, like it is now, then it's pushing the water off shore. Does it matter? So, perhaps it's worth waiting for the wind to come in from the SW and then go, even though the tides will be smaller, the conditions may be better? I fish for 2 or 3 days usually. I realise there's no straight answer to this but your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Similar situation myself - I tend to target the bigger tides and I will start looking at major moon phases as suggested by Pat ... prior planning is easy if you have a tide table sat in front of you :)

Weather comes second for me - unless it is really really bad then I stay at home!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
size of tide, against time of day of whatever I think will be the most productive part of the tide.
Ie say big tide, and highs at dawn.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I think it depends a lot on the mark. A number of my favourite marks fish best on neaps and often at low tide rather than high. These tend to be marks with very fast tidal flows where's it's difficult to keep the lure in the zone for long enough, or of course marks that I can only get to at low tide. For more open sea locations, i do prefer big, high tides in general.

As to winds, for comfort and ease of fishing I prefer an off-shore, for catching it has to be on-shore!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
That's a fair few miles you're putting in there then!! I'm lucky enough to live close to the Yealm and often fish a good few marks around there. Got to admit, I rarely check the tides unless fishing a couple specific marks. A fair few (secret squirrel) marks I fish seem to produce as long as the water is moving (i.e in or out). With my fishing being on my doorstep, I tend not to go out if it's raining or blowing too much.... there's always tomorrow when you live near the marks you fish.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think i'm slowly learning that fishing in many different conditions all adds to the pleasure of the game! Must live nearer!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts