The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we have some monster tides in the Channel islands this week. Tomorrow has a high of 10.3m and a low of just 0.1m, a range of 10.2m or 33ft 5inch or so in old money.

Wouldn't want to be stuck somewhere without a paddle around mid tide on that one!!

I've got the afternoon off work tomorrow so that I can go dig for Australia and see if I can turn in a good supply of verm (rockworm) for the freezer and maybe some tail ends for fresh this week.

I am hoping these tides will bring some bass in. We had an open comp this weekend which about 50 anglers fished fairly hard. How many bass were caught?? None over 3lb is the answer. Shocking. I only did about 2 hours with the plugs and nowt seen or felt. Could have made an effort and headed to deeper water but I am not confident that it would have made a difference.

So assuming you lot all have equally large tides (for your areas), what are you up to if anything??

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Andy,
What are "verm"...Excuse my ignorance.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Andy, still a bit early for me to have confidence in finding a bass, so perhaps back on the pike I think. That said, Simon Clapham found some cracking spots with clear water in West Wales that makes me start itching...

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Monster tides here in West Wales over the next 3 days Andy. But i too fear that the Bass are not around in any numbers. I'll either be Croc Wrestling, or Fluff Chucking for the next few weeks.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Cheers Andy,
You learn something new every day!! Looks like a cracking bait and they freeze as well. :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They freeze very well actually. Had my PB bass of 8-12 on frozen verm. Stays really tough but full of black gunk when defrosted. They have blood which is red thick and very sticky when fresh. More important, I can smell them perfectly well so that means that bass can as well. Pretty much everything in the sea eats verm if given a chance.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I look forward to getting the chance to use it one day.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Are they really as bad as King Rag..Have had a few nips from them in my time..little b****rds.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Worse. Double fangs each side and much tougher all round. Pitbull of the worm family. I've never been bitten by one though......

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haven't been bitten myself but the nipper has. I just heard screaming looked over and there's a beaut of a bit of verm hanging off his hand!!!

Can just about see the second set of fangs on this one. They aren't that vicious really. Need to be provoked. Picking them up will do the trick!!

Fangsalot..JPG

I dug for nearly 2 hours today. Method is sinply get down a foot or 2 then keep the depth and work your way up a gully using an old army trenching tool. I cleared a gully about a foot wide and 6ft long and was very happy wth 3.5lb of verm (weighed on the digi scales in a bucket after zero'ing and taking out as much cack as I could.

here they are...

10 packs for the freezer and better times, 1 pack into the fridge for use this week maybe. Each pack contains sufficient for an evening session of 2-3 hours with 1 rod.

Verm1..jpg

Attachments

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Haven't been bitten myself but the nipper has. I just heard screaming looked over and there's a beaut of a bit of verm hanging off his hand!!!

Can just about see the second set of fangs on this one. They aren't that vicious really. Need to be provoked. Picking them up will do the trick!!

View attachment 403

I dug for nearly 2 hours today. Method is sinply get down a foot or 2 then keep the depth and work your way up a gully using an old army trenching tool. I cleared a gully about a foot wide and 6ft long and was very happy wth 3.5lb of verm (weighed on the digi scales in a bucket after zero'ing and taking out as much cack as I could.

here they are...

10 packs for the freezer and better times, 1 pack into the fridge for use this week maybe. Each pack contains sufficient for an evening session of 2-3 hours with 1 rod.

View attachment 404
That's a lot of take out cartons there!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here's another pic of them part way through processing...

Verm2..jpg

Doesn't look like that much there but they filled my paint pot bucket thing 3/4 of the way up.

Apparently you get these in the SW of the UK as well if you fancy something to do which will knacker your back and legs and if you me put a hole in your waders meaning you had to go buy some new ones...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Haven't had to go near anything other than a bait pump since the lad started his bait business.

But if they are as good as you say it has to be worth a bad back...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts