The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi chaps, after a couple of days intensive fishing, the key word being fishing and not catching. I have come to the conclusion its time to invest in some new gear primarily a new rod and real. I currently use a Rozemeijer Qualifier Heavy Spin 240 rated at 30 to 60 grams coupled with a Okuma Alumina AL55 real, the combined weight of the two is 670g and the balance isn’t brilliant with the rod being tip heavy. The rod casts well and is extremely powerful and is excellent for working top water lures, I think it was originally designed by Bertius Rozemeijer in Holland as a Pike and Zander rod. The problem I have with it is the overall weight and lack of balance which make it very tiring to use after an hour or so and with fatigue casting consistency/accuracy disappear . So either I join a Gym (dream on) or look around for something lighter with a better balance and possibly more focused for the fishing I do.

I mainly fish with the usual suspects - Feed Shallow’s, Zonk’s, Maria Chase, Chrystal minnows etc. along with a selection of surface lures but all in the 10 to 25g area. I love fishing with surface lures, not caught off the top yet but its my target for this year.

My Budget is around the £200 mark for the rod and possibly the same for a real although I’ve got to say I’m very impressed by the Okuma which has had many dunking’s the odd rinse under the tap and still feels as smooth as the day I bought it over two years ago. I’ve been following several threads discussing the merits of the Sakura Rookie and the Teklon Concept but has anyone tried the Sakura Mazzera 8M (10-30g) Lure Rod ?

http://www.basslures.co.uk/fishing-accessories/sakura-mazzera-8-m-10-30g-lure-rod.html

At £190 its in budget but does anyone know how it compares to some of the others out there or would I be better off with the Teklon or Rookie and put the extra funds into petrol for more trips. Or if anyone has one I would love to know what you think of it.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
lol 8m rod is rather long is it not?

yeah keith has one he is the guy to ask if you want to know about the action it is a powerful rod i know that much

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
John,

I have the Sakura Rookie 7"3 ROS 702 LR-M 10-35gm and think its brilliant, I have the same range of lures as you and it handles them very well ,casting them as far as the Shukan, I have also been using SP's down to 7 gm and it handles these with ease :-D

Reactions: John Orrells

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Steve, thanks for the info on the Rookie and its definitely on the list. I’m just curious to see how the Mazzera compares and if others feel the extra cost is justified. I find the whole area of casting weights confusing, as you can see my current rod has a range from 30 to 60g but cast 18g lures fine. I also have a Shakespeare rod with the same range that without a heroic run-up wont throw a lure more than a few meters.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
At the same sort of price as the Sakura,
you can get either a Lucky Craft ESG2
or a Diawa Tournament.
Both well worth thinking about.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Dave, I found a bit more info on the Lucky Craft ESG 2 on the Monster Tackle website but haven’t been able to find anything on the Diawa Tournament rods other than 13’ beach casters and I don’t think you mean those. Have you used either of these rods, any idea how they compare to the others mentioned.

By the way how did the weekend in Weymouth go? My son moved down there a few Months ago and has been home for the weekend to collect all his fishing gear before heading back. I’ve suggested he heads into Reals and Deals to get pointed in the right direction.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
At the same sort of price as the Sakura,
you can get either a Lucky Craft ESG2
or a Diawa Tournament.
Both well worth thinking about.
I would look very very hard at the Lucky Craft ESG rods.
I think Vidar has one and loves it.At £220 Monster Tackle are doing a great discount on them,they look fantastic value and have a great reputation.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I would look very very hard at the Lucky Craft ESG rods.
I think Vidar has one and loves it.At £220 Monster Tackle are doing a great discount on them,they look fantastic value and have a great reputation.
I do indeed have one of the ESGII rods bought from Monster Tackle and as always a couple of minor tweaks would have made it close to perfect. However, this won’t hide the fact it is a stunning piece of kit well worth every penny I paid for it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Vidar, thanks for the feedback. Do you mind me asking which rod you have the 7’7, 8’7 or the 9’7, to my inexperienced eye the 8’7 3-30g appears to offer the most versatility for the type of fishing I do, mainly plugs and some surface lures.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Hi Vidar, thanks for the feedback. Do you mind me asking which rod you have the 7’7, 8’7 or the 9’7, to my inexperienced eye the 8’7 3-30g appears to offer the most versatility for the type of fishing I do, mainly plugs and some surface lures.
It is the 8.7 feet version that I have, and similar to you I bought it to be a bit of an all rounder.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I have a Mazzera. Nice but for me..
Too powerful for anything other than big rockfish or weed ripping etc..

Great build and superlight for what it is.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
John
If you find the rod you like then for the budget you mentioned I'd seriosuly consider the Shimano rarenium as an option for the reel. Right in your budget and getting good feedback from those that have them (Alun Parry excepted although I believe he was unlucky and got a dud). I've had a go with Simon's and it's lovely and very light. Could match a new light rod very well. Let us know what you opt for. Probably worth speaking with **** for some advice on rods....

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the help guys, looks like the Lucky Craft ESG is coming out on top and seems to fit the bill. It would be rude not to treat it to a new real as well so as Tim has suggested I think a Rarenium will be on order as well, too many good comments across several threads to ignore. I’m stuck in Switzerland until the end of the week but I can see a coupe of orders going out at the weekend. Now where to go and christen them Hmmmm.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts