The Lure Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents, whilst typing longer posts (typically in the Catch Report Section), when it comes to the point where you press the 'Submit Thread / Post', you can sometimes experience the nightmare of your log-in having timed-out.

The end result is that you will have just lost everything that you just typed :bangin:.

It may be that by pressing the 'Back' button on the toolbar of your browser, you can recover your txt, but generally you'll have lost it.

So - what i do to ensure that i dont lose all my work, is . . . . .

Just before you submit your Thread / Post, select all of the txt (& links) that you've just typed (just click at the start, and drag your curser to the end until it's all highlighted), then go up to the top of your browser, and select 'Edit' then 'Copy'. All of your work will now have been saved to the Clipboard (dont worry about what that is if you are not sure - it's not important). Then, if the unthinkable should happen when you submit your Thread / Post, and you have to log-in again - simply go back into the relevant location, start a new Thread / Post, click in the main txt body, and go back up to 'Edit', then click on 'Paste', and everything should magically reappear. You can then hit the 'Submit' button, and that should work just fine :D.

I try & remember to do this everytime i type a longer Thread / Post, and you only have to lose your work once, before you remember to do this everytime ;).

If any of this doesnt make sense, and someone would like more info - you only have to ask.

Hope this helps :D.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Si, if you ensure that the "remember me" box is checked next to the login boxes, this will not happen. George and I both found this out the hard way...

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Si, if you ensure that the "remember me" box is checked next to the login boxes, this will not happen. George and I both found this out the hard way...

I always do that Tim, but it still happens. Moreso on my home Netbook for some reason.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Mmm - only happened to us when that box is not checked. Well, sound advice in that case. Nightmare when you have spent ages with photos, videos, text and then you lose it!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
I have had that problem once or twice myself Si, now I type every thing in Word and then copy and paste it into the thread :p

Good advice though !

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On this website mate, not your pc!

Yeh i know. But for some reason, it varies between computers for me, which suggests that there are some other aspect to it. Perhaps Mike will know about the log-in time-out thingy. For now though, i just go belt & braces & save my work before i post. Nothing quite like losing a load of txt to make your pish boil :evil:.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
I found if I ticked the remember me botton it leaves a broken line around the box, if you click out of the box somewhere next it loses the broken line, once this is done then click the sign in button. Since doing that I have never lost connection. Dont know if its the same with everyones laptop/computer but my old one was the same and it does it on other forums too. Try it.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
The timeout is currently on a 20 min cycle, to preserve server load.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts