The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After trying every colour of Sebiles Magic Swimmers I have decided to remove them from my tackle box, I have fished them for over 30hrs giving them a fair chance, the bass just attack there eyes but have no intention of trying to eat them.
I have fished them everyway possible, maybe the bass don't like the smell of them *shrug*

Even when I know Bass are in a gully I resist the urge to use a feed shallow and stick to the magic swimmers to give me some confidence to carry on using them but get a BIG FAT nothing for my efforts.
Last Sunday I cast them solidly for 8.5hrs on a incoming tide and got zilch :cry:

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
HoM, funny world isnt it?! I had a bass second ever cast with one and went on to have a couple more the same night on a swimmer! However, its the devils own job to put on a lure you dont have confidence in.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I bought a couple of these last month,the ones I got were the 125 in Natural Shiner and Blue Althea.The way I fished these were on a boat anchoring up tide at an angle of a Kelp covered shallow reef and cast them out towards it and work them slowly back towards the boat with pauses and holding them in the tide and bringing them across the tide in an ark,the reason I retrieved them slow because there was a strong tide running and I found that the strong flow and steady retrieve impaired the natural movement of the lure,however I did catch three Bass doing this during dusk but regarding using them from the shore I have yet to try them.

I actually put a thread up on the forum asking what where the beast techniques to use with this particular lure but I did not get a reply so I had to find out and go through the learning curve myself on how to use it. I am new to these modern lures, still using the old faithful fish catching brands like Rapala,Storm and Dexter,I have suspicion that I would have caught more fish using a J11 or J13 that particular evening but I would not have found out how to use the Sebile and see what it,s strengths and weakness are.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Interesting Pete, like you I have persevered with them on several occasions but not a sniff, yet others seem to have got results. I fish the same area as you, be interesting to know if this has any bearing?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
It sounds to me like that it depends what the Bass are feeding on for your particular mark,I knew that the Bass were feeding on Sprats that evening because I saw them spraying out of the water when the Bass were chasing them.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Dave
No idea, they look awesome, infact perfect for my mark, that's why I ordered every colour, as the water is very murky where I fish I needed to know what colour worked best.
Strange the eyes are being attacked, maybe small bass are hitting them.
Some of these guys on here are so lucky to have clear water, Southampton water is so bad that once the water is over 15 inches deep the visability has gone.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds to me like that it depends what the Bass are feeding on for your particular mark,I knew that the Bass were feeding on Sprats that evening because I saw them spraying out of the water when the Bass were chasing them.
We dont get sprats here infact we don't get bass chassing anything.
Any bass that are caught normaly have the stomach contents of hard back crabs.
They seem to have been reduced the scavengers, they are always swimming with the mullet and feed on the bread that mullet fishermen throw in the water.
Sad thing is the big numbers of bass are long gone, killed off by pollution and over fishing.
The Polish and chinese fishermen don't believe in catch and release, they will keep everything even if it's 3 inches long.
we would consider a 3lb Bass a awesome catch :sad:

Gary, I was using the soft bodied Swimmers

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Pete
It,s very sad when an area has come to this,I know Bass stocks are in decline but I did not know that it is was that bad where you fish.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pete
It,s very sad when an area has come to this,I know Bass stocks are in decline but I did not know that it is was that bad where you fish.
It was only when I went to Weymouth that my jaw dropped, the water was so clear!! I could see if there was any fish (umm there wasn't but the water was stunningly clear and no trash)
When I got back home it was like fishing in a Big muddy puddle.
you know what's really depressing ... most anglers check out low water marks for gullys etc, we check out low water marks to remember the locations of shopping trolleys/stolen bikes/safes/traffic cones/road works signs/cars and anything that people want to make dissapear.
No tourist come here so nothing gets cleared up.
guess I like a challenge :|

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Do the Environment Agency or local Harbour Authority clear any of this crap???

I work for a Harbour Authority and wee clear Foreshores and Tidal Docks of any junk and obstructions

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do the Environment Agency or local Harbour Authority clear any of this crap???

I work for a Harbour Authority and wee clear Foreshores and Tidal Docks of any junk and obstructions
Hi Gary
The Environment Agency or local Harbour Authority do nothing.

Most of those pictures were taken last year, it's much worse now.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Have you tried contacting the Environment Agency with the problem as they might have overlooked that area?
They should have cleared that Car from that river mouth and that pile of crap,these photos should be sent to them and the local harbour authority.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
There isn't too many places where you can catch a vauxhall corsa.
Asda could do more to stop people stealing their shopping trolleys.
I guess everybody now knows why I use surface plugs.
Liked to idea of the Sebile Magic swimmers as they use weedless hooks, the weed doesn't bother me, I use them as shopping trolleyless hooks.

Gary, the Environment Agency watch us all the time when we are fishing.
1. They watch us with binoculars from a local tower block.
2. they have 2 land rovers that hide behind a bush and a railway bridge.
3. they have a concrete lookout bunker hidden behind a reed bed.
Why?
Because we have trout and salmon swimming up the river and they make sure that nobody is catching them without a licence.
They know what the conditions are like, they don't miss anything.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
They might have a reason to leave the trolleys and other crap with what you said about the Salmon and Sea Trout as it,s a good way to stop someone drifting a Gill net down river but they should get that car out.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The car has gone now, I didn't mind the car, it was too smooth to get snagged on, however nothing escapes shopping trolleys, the weed gets caught on them and the fast running current carrys them down the river where they get stuck in the mud.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The car would have caused them a big problem as debris would have collected behind it in time and blocked the river mouth and probably caused flooding problems as the flow would have been diverted during a good rain storm.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Pete
I see what you mean.....Does anyone use that stretch of water for recreational use?....i.e. Canoeists and pleasure craft?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts