The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Van Staal to bail or not to bail

Just looking for some opinions on the Van Staal reels with regard to going bailess just cant get my head round it for some reason been doing a bit of research on them on keep getting mixed reports on this topic..

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I have both bailed and no bail, I had the bailed first and so was sceptical about getting bailess. But after a few trips I have got use to it no problems. On speaking to other VS users they had no problems going bailess

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Barry i fish the VS150 bailess it took me about 15mins to get used to , no regrets either , it also is a lot lighter than the bailed version
Cheers for that Bob i think its the way to go,
weight is everything on a long day out,
bail as said one more thing to go wrong in some threads i have read about them...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Barry, I have two bailess 100's and it took about 10mins to get used to (they are smaller than the 150 so it didn't take me as long as Bob ;))

Its not only about the weight, more about the rotational mass I believe :geek:, less to go wrong too :D

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Barry,
My bail arm failed on me on the second day of our trip to Ireland last year (obviously not a VS) I thought it was going to ruin the trip for me but as Bob said it took me no time at all to get used to it. As an added bonus because of the windy conditions manually seating the bail and collecting the line prevented any looping over the spool leading to wind knots.

bail as said one more thing to go wrong in some threads i have read about them...
I think you'd be a bit pissed if a bail arm failed on a Van Staal.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replys again there lads mind seems to be made up there now on the bailess version

1 - 10 of 10 Posts