The Lure Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few spinning rods with cork handles (Shimano mainly) apart from the cleaning and saltwater issues I personally have with cork, I had a chat with a chap today (Tim P&P) in the shop. He reckons cork handling can channel more sensitivity when braid is used. Does anyone have an opinion on this?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Mike

I have seen how sharp his knife is. If he says cork is best that's fine by me.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Most of the top Japanese rod makers dropped cork handles a few years ago. It was rumoured to be because of supply problems. But that aside, most of us use fixed spools for bassing and rarely do we hold anything other than the reel seat. To me it is a waste of good cork!!!! It is purely decoration and in most cases very unlikely to increase sensitivity.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
hmm, interesting.

I learned quite quickly that a very light grip enhances SP/jig fishing takes.

Quite why cork would work over duplon better ?

Like has been said, do we hold the cork ?, I don't.

When casting rods sure, we use the rear grip.

When i'm plugging, I rest the butt under my forearm.

When fishing bounced jigs or fishing most jig styles, the butt is free and I
hold the rod really light but, 2 fingers forward, 2 rear of the reel stem.

I'll have to make a note of whether i do other stuff. I do sometimes rest the pad of my first
finger up the rod blank when bouncing over sand to increase sensitivity.

However, in my view, the right braid/line and rod makes the most difference.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Just to clarify, Tims comments were relating to boat fishing, I just wanted to see what the generally thinking is with corked handled plugging rods, would it make a difference.

·
Registered
540 Posts
interesting thread guys just to add my oppinion.....

when guiding and introducing anglers to top end fly rods (loomis and t+t rods) a quick test we do is to have the angler to hold the rod by the handle and with the rod assembled stand opposite and place the tip against your throat under slight pressure (so not to drop the rod!!!) and simply say a few words such as can you feel that? its unbelievable the vibrations that pass through the carbon, through the cork and into the hand and up the arm!!! anglers are amazed! we then compare it to there rods!!! so personally i think its the quality of the carbon/boron/graphites/composities etc that hightens sensitivity not handle material. although i do like cork (its what im used to i suppose!) nice in winter aswell!! the only way i believe to incrase sensitivity is having a reel seat that allows you to have direct contact with the blank, i know berkley have some innovative designs and on lower priced rods could be the answer!? but on top end gear, grip material does not seem to matter!

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
In a previous area where some Duplon and EVA materials were rather heavy cork was undoubtedly better as a handle material. Any significant weight increase will dampen a rods ability to transfer vibrations thus hinder the bite detection, which is especially important with soft plastics.

However, later developments in regards to handle and grip designs and the emergence of lighter EVA and Duplon type materials have made the difference more or less non existent.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Any significant weight increase will dampen a rods ability to transfer vibrations thus hinder the bite detection, which is especially important with soft plastics.
True.

Interesting though that, on another forum, folk are slating rod manufacturers and anglers for using the words 'bite detection' in lure rods.

Perhaps it's a case of making comment without actually experiencing what we are discussing here, I don't know ?

I do know though, that bite detection with soft plastics is paramount. Anything that comes along to improve it must be taken seriously even if it means going backwards in materials technology.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
True.

Interesting though that, on another forum, folk are slating rod manufacturers and anglers for using the words 'bite detection' in lure rods.

Perhaps it's a case of making comment without actually experiencing what we are discussing here, I don't know ?

I do know though, that bite detection with soft plastics is paramount. Anything that comes along to improve it must be taken seriously even if it means going backwards in materials technology.
I agree, bite detection is probably not the right word but as soon as you get into certain types fishing soft plastics, such drop shotting and vertical jigging you certainly will appreciate the huge difference the correct rod with the best possible ability to transfer vibrations can make to you catches.

The difference between a “sensitive” and a “insensitive” rod is as night and day and anyone who thinks differently (not referring to you Keith) should try some vertical jigging for Zander on Grafham, in depths up to 60 feet of water.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
How do you go about getting permission to do that Vidar?
Anglian Water run predator fishing trails every autumn on most of their waters and all you need to do is to call the lodge and book a ticket. Grafham only cost around £52-53 for a two-angler day boat permit, and you can fish from around 08.30 until sunset.

http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/leisure/contact-us/

Reactions: Retired

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Anglian Water run predator fishing trails every autumn on most of their waters and all you need to do is to call the lodge and book a ticket. Grafham only cost around £52-53 for a two-angler day boat permit, and you can fish from around 08.30 until sunset.

http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/leisure/contact-us/
I've fished Grafham years ago for the spotties.
I've got this thing for Zander. Caught loads on bait many moons ago.

Was thinking Holland but how good is the UK Zander jig scene now ?
In reality, not what is possible.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I've fished Grafham years ago for the spotties.
I've got this thing for Zander. Caught loads on bait many moons ago.

Was thinking Holland but how good is the UK Zander jig scene now ?
In reality, not what is possible.
You don’t have the same year round possibilities in the UK as you have in Holland as the reservoirs only allow lure/jig fishing for limited period of time every year. However, there are quit a few people that are targeting zander with lure fishing tactics both on Severn and in the Fens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts